cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery problem

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
2013 Chevy Tahoe with 120K miles. Battery was last replaced Jan '17.

For the past 8 months, especially after a cold night or when we haven't driven the car for a day or two, the car shows low battery level indicator and has trouble starting (but hasn't left us stranded ... yet).

A few months ago my wife left an interior light on which drained the battery enough so the car didn't start. We charged it by hooking up our solar panel to recharge it.

A few days ago after a very cold night (10 F), the battery was so low (as indicated by the gage on the dash) that it barely started.

Yesterday morning, after overnight temps around 35 F, again the battery level gage showed low and the car barely started.

We have been to Autozone / O'Reilly's multiple times and every time the battery, alternator and starter tested 'good'.

This morning I plugged a volt meter into the car. It again had trouble starting. Here are the readouts:

1. Before car start in the morning 12.0 V
2. During start 10.8 V
3. Started the car and during driving 14.7V
4. Stopped the car after driving 30 mins 12.5V
5. After 1 hour of not running 12.2 V

Any idea what is going on? It reallyfeels like one of these mornings the car is not going to start which will be a problem if we're camping off grid.

Thanks!
33 REPLIES 33

Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently worked on an Escalade with the same symptoms. It was caused by a poor crimp connection on the negative battery cable. Where the lead terminal clamp is crimped to the copper ground cable. It would have been impossible to find it without a voltmeter.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You have your warnings and data to confirm the battery is shot.
Get a new battery already.

Don't be this guy:
Battery exploded

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
I think your battery is pooched.

Totally agree. Once they get run down once they never seem to fully recover.

My MIL's Mazda 3 had a similar problem and I was reluctant to think it was the battery because my BIL had recently replaced it. After coming up with nothing else, it was replaced with a OEM unit and the car has been fine since.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

w2dart
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Battery Load Test

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I think that he wants to get stranded. Get a new battery and report back if it still has a problem.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
jornvango wrote:
Krusty wrote:
You should get a battery charger and charge the battery up fully. Also, if the battery and charging system test good, perhaps there is something drawing the battery down overnight.

We ended up driving a few hours today. Upon arrival at our campsite, the battery showed 12.2 and a few seconds later 12.0

Is there any way to test if there is a draw on the battery while the car is turned off?

This tells ya it's the battery. Even with a parasitic draw, the battery would be fully charged after a 3 hour drive. And if the alternator wasn't working, you wouldn't have made it to your destination.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Seon
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drive it to an O'Reilly, Autozone, Costco or a any Battery shop and have it load tested. It's a free test.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
.The battery has had it
Frank.

This ^^^. Discharged to too low of level and won't hold adequate charge. Fairly regular occurrence (finding out about overdrawn batteries) in the first serious cold snap up here.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
jornvango wrote:
A few months ago my wife left an interior light on which drained the battery enough so the car didn't start. We charged it by hooking up our solar panel to recharge it.

My 2012 Yukon XL and 2017 Suburban both had/have battery rundown protection. If anything like a map light gets left on (like one of the kids leaving a light on on Saturday) after about 10 mins the truck shuts off what ever is on. Either your rundown protection isnโ€™t working or you seem to have some other parasitic loss (as mentioned).

I am sort of thinking if the battery was drained for some reason and it was never properly fully charged after, the battery may be shot at this point. Your battery is also almost three years old at this point. They donโ€™t make batteries like they used to, might just be time for a new one.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
jornvango wrote:

4. Stopped the car after driving 30 mins 12.5V
5. After 1 hour of not running 12.2 V

Slownsy wrote:
.The battery has had it
Frank.

I think Frank may be correct.

The only other test requires a clamp on ammeter like a Uni-T UT210E - Amazon $50

After driving for 30 minutes and shutting the truck off, clamp the meter on either the positive or negative battery lead. It usually take 5-10 minutes for all computers to "go to sleep" so be patient. If the meter reads much more than 10-20mA you have a "parasitic load" pulling down your battery.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
jornvango wrote:
Is there any way to test if there is a draw on the battery while the car is turned off?
A DC clampon meter will do the job, just takes a few seconds to display the draw or charge. Make sure to get one that measures DC amps. Most can display AC as well.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think your battery is pooched.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Do an amp draw with a meter.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
.The battery has had it
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Krusty wrote:
You should get a battery charger and charge the battery up fully. Also, if the battery and charging system test good, perhaps there is something drawing the battery down overnight.

We ended up driving a few hours today. Upon arrival at our campsite, the battery showed 12.2 and a few seconds later 12.0