cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery replacements in 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
My 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel has two batteries. They are original and therefore at least 7 years old. My concern is that they die in a most inopportune time.

The one battery is in the normal place up top by the fender but the second battery is buried somewhere.

I know that I should replace both batteries at the same time as they are a parallel connection.

Has anyone replaced there batteries themselves? How complicated is it? Where exactly is the 2nd battery located? I've searched online and cannot find anything on replacing the 2nd battery.

My dealer wants $55 replacement fee for each battery plus $169 for each battery. A total of $475 including tax. I understand that the replacement is more difficult for the 2nd battery but is $110 labor fee a bit much?

Thanks in advance for your help

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
25 REPLIES 25

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy mine at Costco since they take back bad stuff with no questioned asked. It happens to get bad batteries. Then just take them down to an independant mechanic and pay to have them installed. Less headache while you read a magazine. Then take the old ones to costco for the core charge reversed.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
midnightsadie wrote:
there must be away you can disconnect both some kind of part you plug in.I,ve seen the after math of a battery explode ain,t pretty.

Yup, it’s called unhooking them.....
How on earth would you splode a battery if you touched a hot cable to ground?
I mean unless you had the balls to hold it there? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Every Advance, Auto Zone, and even the little one man shop battery places install batteries for free. Granted, they must be charging enough for the batteries to cover their efforts but have you checked any of these places?
At 7 years I would replace both of them too. They are both their under the hood. It's not a complex job but you have to be very careful you don't short anything out.

OP Here,

I have checked both and because there are two and fender supports need removed they will not replace mine.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, both of my Rams have easy to replace batteries. I replaced the set in the
2001 right on the dealers lot. I had an old bike inter tube that I cut to length and slipped over free hot terminal. Replaced one at a time, had mice get to the battery covers in the 2016, had to pull the terminals to replace the covers
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Every Advance, Auto Zone, and even the little one man shop battery places install batteries for free. Granted, they must be charging enough for the batteries to cover their efforts but have you checked any of these places?
At 7 years I would replace both of them too. They are both their under the hood. It's not a complex job but you have to be very careful you don't short anything out.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
there must be away you can disconnect both some kind of part you plug in.I,ve seen the after math of a battery explode ain,t pretty.

Start by removing the negative cable from both batteries. Replace batteries and connect negative cables last. Reset any settings that you lost and let the computers relearn all their things. I do the rubber glove thing to prevent loosing settings. You can buy memory savers that plug into the OBDI port or the lighter if it stays hot.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I would suggest is disconnect both batteries before starting the project. I pulled a battery out of my 08 to replace a light bulb. The other side was still hot, I must have touch the connection during removal of the battery and took out the ECM. Costly mistake on my part. It is not worth $55.00. It takes about 20 min tops to RR both batteries. Just watch the connections as you do it.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
One battery is drivers side near front, other one is on the passengers side back at firewall.

To keep from losing settings, you could do one at a time, but put rubber gloves on the hot cable ends to prevent a serious short. The rear battery will require some effort, look it over to see if you want to remove those parts to get it out.

See if this video is like yours.

Unlike the video, be careful with metal tools while touching battery cables, that socket wrench would be a bad short from the other battery, if it touched metal.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Look harder. They're both under the hood. Have to take off a support bracket to get at the passenger side one. You can see it in the rear R corner of the engine bay.
If you can lift a battery, you can replace them yourself. $100+ labor to pull n plop 2 batteries? No thanks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
dpgllg wrote:
My 2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel has two batteries. They are original and therefore at least 7 years old. My concern is that they die in a most inopportune time.

The one battery is in the normal place up top by the fender but the second battery is buried somewhere.

I know that I should replace both batteries at the same time as they are a parallel connection.

Has anyone replaced there batteries themselves? How complicated is it? Where exactly is the 2nd battery located? I've searched online and cannot find anything on replacing the 2nd battery.

My dealer wants $55 replacement fee for each battery plus $169 for each battery. A total of $475 including tax. I understand that the replacement is more difficult for the 2nd battery but is $110 labor fee a bit much?

Thanks in advance for your help

Dave

Dealers make their money in the service department. $475.00 is less than a monthly payment. Just drink cheap beer for awhile.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu