cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Tender Jr. fine to maintain my two 6-Volt batteries?

falconman515
Explorer
Explorer
So I know I should have done this many months ago when I pulled the batteries off the trailer for storage but haven't

Looking for something to maintain these batteries while being stored

Is the Battery Tender Jr. 12v a fine option?

(I should use the 12-volt maintainer correct? not the 6v since I have them wired to make 1 single 12v)

Battery Tender Jr.

Thanks so much. 🙂

-Chris
1996 24' Fleetwood Prowler
Towed By ...
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4X4 Crew Cab
19 REPLIES 19

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Full function = higher charge settings. If you have a higher amperage charger, you're golden.

Yes, the Battery Minder Jr. is a good maintainer, AFAIK. It is certainly miles above using nothing.

FWIW, I've over-wintered many batteries and left them with no charger on (but fully charged) or used a maintainer. I've had better luck with a trickle charger on them 24/7. Some of this might be environment or location of storage.

Now, my trailer is stored outside with two banks being charged by the solar module. They seemed to have come through the Winter in fine shape. That's a good thing as I don't like lugging around batteries so much, anymore.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

falconman515
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
These maintainers work well to float charge a battery or two but the battery will still need some higher level charging to keep the electrolyte from stratifying and to stave off sulphation.
For a few dollars more, a guy could probably buy a full function charger that would accomplish it all.

Agreed with Pianotuna, solar is the best, especially with a temperature compensated controller.

What is a full function charger? I have an actual "Battery Charger" ... I just wanted something to maintain them while being stored is all.

I will of course throw a full charge on the batteries before the start of the camping season and then do so throughout the summer ... this is more the 6 plus months of them sitting in the corner of my garage is all and I thought this was exactly what that was for ... to keep it "Maintained" till actual use?

Is there something different I should be looking at for this function?

I have just been throwing a quick charge on them every other months while being stored.

Solar does nothing this purpose as they in my garage and not on my rig ... I know solar is best for when they are installed on my trailer for the summer time to maintain and charge.

Thanks so much for the info .
1996 24' Fleetwood Prowler
Towed By ...
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4X4 Crew Cab

westend
Explorer
Explorer
These maintainers work well to float charge a battery or two but the battery will still need some higher level charging to keep the electrolyte from stratifying and to stave off sulphation.
For a few dollars more, a guy could probably buy a full function charger that would accomplish it all.

Agreed with Pianotuna, solar is the best, especially with a temperature compensated controller.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
Ive used those on 12v batteries for years. They work great. 5 or so years ago I started using these from harbor freight. They are on sale all the time, i always have extra on hand. They work great as well.

http://m.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tender jr will be fine. Solar would be even better.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.