cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery vs. Shoreline fan issue

firefightersink
Explorer
Explorer
This weekend I was dry camping and used my twin Honda gen set up and the air worked great as well as the fans. When i went off generator power, all I got was a click out of the fan solenoid. When I plugged back into the generator, it worked fine. Any ideas? I reset all of the breakers and checked all of the fuses. I do a few dry without generators and I am worried the fans won't work off battery. It worked before so I am not sure what is going on. I tried it on lo/hi and auto with nothing but a click. Thanks in advance for your help.
2015 Ford F250 6.2L with K&N Cold Air Intake and Bama Tune
Reese LLH with sway control
Son named it "The Beast"

2014 Palomino Canyon Cat 27RBH
31' of Pure Family Fun
9 REPLIES 9

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
firefightersink wrote:
And my selector has fan/AC/heat. Fan has a selector for lo/hi/auto and that is what i was looking to run on 12V.

Ther A/C fan, controlled by the lo/hi/auto switch is 120 volts. It will only run when the Rv is connected to shore power or adequate generator power.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you talking about the selectors on the AC unit? If you are, that is your problem. Nothing connected to the AC will work off of 12v electric. The AC fan only will only work if plugged into 120v AC circuit or have a generator running.

firefightersink wrote:
Thanks for the info. I will check the fuses again. Thank you for the diagram, mine didn't come with a layout so this will help. And my selector has fan/AC/heat. Fan has a selector for lo/hi/auto and that is what i was looking to run on 12V. I have 2-6V batteries which were just replaced and I have about 256 amperes from them and they were fully charged. The fan ran before and this was the first time I had an issue with it only running of the generator power. Again, thanks for the info.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

VegasScotty
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
If you're talking about the air conditioner blower, that's 110 volts AC. The heater blower runs on 12V DC but it's a big battery draw.

x3.... the a/c fan (normally) doesn't work on batteries only
Scott.n.Tira from Las Vegas
2021 GD Imagine 2670MK
2012 F250 4x4 6.2 LB

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
firefightersink wrote:
And my selector has fan/AC/heat. Fan has a selector for lo/hi/auto and that is what i was looking to run on 12V.
now I'm confused. What selector are you talking about?

No a/c I'm aware of has a 12v fan.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

firefightersink
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I will check the fuses again. Thank you for the diagram, mine didn't come with a layout so this will help. And my selector has fan/AC/heat. Fan has a selector for lo/hi/auto and that is what i was looking to run on 12V. I have 2-6V batteries which were just replaced and I have about 256 amperes from them and they were fully charged. The fan ran before and this was the first time I had an issue with it only running of the generator power. Again, thanks for the info.
2015 Ford F250 6.2L with K&N Cold Air Intake and Bama Tune
Reese LLH with sway control
Son named it "The Beast"

2014 Palomino Canyon Cat 27RBH
31' of Pure Family Fun

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first answer is correct. The lo/hi/auto comment is a clue he's talking about a/c fan.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a typical 30A Power Distribtion Block Diagram...

As you can see the HUB is the 120VAC and 12VDC Power Distribution Center where the 120VAC Circuit Breakers and 12VDC FUSES are located.

The RV UNIT is desgned to work from both 120VAC and 12VDC.

The 120VAC Shore Power or Generator will run all systems on the RV Unit.

NOTE: The 12VDC Lights which include the ceiling lights all operate from 12VDC. This is powered by the 12V battery or the 120VAC Converter/Charger unit which develops 12VDC...

When on just your battery only the BASICS is powered up that run only from 12VDC. This eliminates all of the 120VAC Appliances. The only way to run a few of these 120VAC Appliances is to have an POWER INVERTER which is optional and is run from your battery bank. The Power Inverter will draw alot of DC Current from your battery bank so alot of pre-planning is required to have a Battery Bank large enough to run the BASICS systems and the Power Inverter.

You need to identify all of the different 120VAC items and the 12VDC items in your RV unit. The above block diagram lists most of the those different items for you...

Hope this helps with your understanding of how the typical RV unit works...

In my Off-Road POPUP trailer I have mostly 12VDC Fans associated with the Propane Furnace Fan and the Fantastic 12VDC Ceiling fan. These are powered by my 12V battery Bank. My roof mounted Air Conditioner Fan is a 120VAC Fan which is only powered by Shore Power or Generator. I also have a couple of portable AC/DC/D-cell fans to use when camping.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
If your 12 V fans are not working off the battery, you have an issue with the battery or associated connections. If I had to guess, there is a fuse or circuit breaker blown/tripped between the converter/distribution panel and the battery. If the battery has been left in a discharged state for a long period of time, you'd do yourself a favor by replacing it.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you're talking about the air conditioner blower, that's 110 volts AC. The heater blower runs on 12V DC but it's a big battery draw.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......