cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best pop-up camper with toy hauler area?

brianfaith
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
We are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 young children), and looking at a pop-up camper that can also help haul our bikes, etc.

Question for this forum related which make/models folks feel are best for usability/reliability.

In my brief research, I saw the following seem to be popular:

1. Coachmen V-Trec V3
2. Rockwood Extreme Sports Package 232ESP

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Brian
7 REPLIES 7

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
brianfaith wrote:
Hi,
We are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 young children), and looking at a pop-up camper that can also help haul our bikes, etc.

Question for this forum related which make/models folks feel are best for usability/reliability.

In my brief research, I saw the following seem to be popular:

1. Coachmen V-Trec V3
2. Rockwood Extreme Sports Package 232ESP

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Brian

Go here This has turned into an RV only site and they don't like PUPs
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Coachman has at least 240 pounds more cargo capacity.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you plan on mounting those bicycles to the roof of the pop up, think twice. Most non-serious bike riders have heavy…as in 30-35 pounds plus…bicycles. Six bikes could easily be over 200 pounds. There aren’t any “walkable” roofs in pop up trailers. If you were planning on a bike rack at the rear, it needs to frame mounted and then it will lower tongue weight. A rack coupled to the trailer hitch and/or on the trailer tongue are doable usually.

One more caution…the Rockwood has only 861 pounds of cargo capacity. With water, propane, food and stuff for six you won’t have 200+ pounds of capacity left for six bikes.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

brianfaith
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the detail. Bummer on the gear flying out. Looks like Coachmen is still making PUPs. The V-Trec V3 looks pretty promising if the quality is good.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
They are only ones left making them. Laminated 1/4 inch sidewalls held together with staples and glue. I had a new flagstaff 625d loaded high alleged quality. Frame bending on highways with side door open and gear fly out on highway. My next 2 were Jayco and much higher quality.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

brianfaith
Explorer
Explorer
Do you think Forest River has good quality?

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Only one left in recent years is forest river. Pups are dead
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt