cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best security cameras for travel trailer?

OregonMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys wondering if anyone can recommend good security cameras for a travel trailer? Many security cameras seem to require wireless internet which sometimes is not available when camping (even though I do have Starlink now, it really doesn't like trees).

Is there a security camera that connects to a satellite with a security service of some kind? Basically something that could reliably operate wherever I'm located? Or are "offline" cameras the only real option right now for travel trailers? Thanks for any tips.
19 REPLIES 19

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
... Unless you have some special use case, probably best to simply keep the insurance up and if it gets stolen, use the insurance check to buy a replacement...but really it's not that common for people to steal them unless you are hanging out in bad areas and since you have wheels, there rarely is a reason to hang out in bad areas.

I would second this. We've been full-time for 7 years and I have never felt the need for a security system. We've had one bicycle stolen. The thief cut a heavy-duty security cable and was gone in 30 seconds. This was in a higher-end park with security cameras... which didn't help a bit. (Our insurance reimbursed quite a bit more than the replacement cost for the bike.) We just lock up the little stuff and have good insurance.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Basically, if you want to observe a video feed remotely, there needs to be a way to get that video feed from the trailer to where you are.
- Cheapest is a land line based internet but obviously, needs a really long cord, so that's not too practical with an RV.
- Cell hot spot is a bit more but you need a cell plan that has enough data and need to be in a coverage area.
- Certainly, you can do satellite but it's pretty much the most expensive option and you need a clear view of the sky in the vicinity of the satellites...plus the hassles of setting up each time you move.
- An off line camera seems to defeat the purpose as you must find the RV to collect the camera.

Unless you have some special use case, probably best to simply keep the insurance up and if it gets stolen, use the insurance check to buy a replacement...but really it's not that common for people to steal them unless you are hanging out in bad areas and since you have wheels, there rarely is a reason to hang out in bad areas.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Reolink makes several cameras that use 4G. I don't know any that use satellite.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure what you are trying to build for a system, but I have these at my S&B Amazon
Note my house is remote, I use a Mobile hotspot for internet which this ties into. When we travel the hotspot goes with me and I activate an old cellphone on a prepaid plan for a month and let it provide the web access. Setting 2 of these to notify me when they sense motion only uses a couple gigs of data per month and they do offer cloud storage. These do have an onboard micro sd card similar to a trail camera for when you have no service available.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know of any that uses a satellite link, but a friend has a traditional home secirity system that uses its own cell phone plan at one of his 2 homes. Some of the YouTube nomads are using SimpliSafe in their trailers or RVs using a Jetpack or other cell phone router and cell phone signal boosters that seem to work for them.