cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Short Motor Home (A, B, or C) for Towing 25' trailer?

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
What short motor homes (Class A, B, or C), around 25' long, would have the best towing capacity and stability to pull a 20-25' travel trailer weighing around 5,000-6,000 lbs.?

Yesterday I saw a Sprinter 2500 (long wheelbase, tall cab) pulling a Coachman Apex 215RBK (25'long, 7.5' wide, 6,500 GVWR, 4,365 dry, 450 hitch).

It looked liked an interesting solution, but I would like a heavier tow vehicle for more stability and something with more towing capacity.

What are your thoughts?

Considerations of 25' Motorhome + 25' Travel Trailer vs. 20' Diesel Truck + 34' Fifth Wheel

- Short motor home would be a more comfortable tow vehicle and solo vehicle for people and pets (space to move around, access to food and bathroom).

- Short motor home could still be a run around vehicle after you drop the trailer and pitch camp, although not as versatile as 20' truck.

- Short motor home isn't going to work as daily driver :), but the 20' truck will.

- Short motor home could be used as a solo vehicle for short trips/weekenders, kind of the way Thor is selling the Axis/Vegas 25' "RUV".

- Short motor home + trailer would not feel as stable towing as truck + fifth wheel

- Overall length for short motor home + tow vehicle is about 50' vs. about 54' for 20' truck + 34' fifth wheel.

- Fifth Wheel will have nicer living space and storage.

- Short motor home + travel trailer could work as two living areas vs. one living area for fifth wheel. Depends on what you are looking for there.
29 REPLIES 29

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
A Moho is probably the best way to travel with a group. A TT provides a lot more space for gear, sleeping, bath, etc. I can see the appeal. A "working" family. Circus performers. Etc.

Too much logistical overhead for me. Even if I cloned myself. Not a "vacation " to my way of thinking.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I don't get the concept. What is the point of pulling a TT with a MH? It is just awkward and unwieldy.

I concur. What's the point? Either a MH with a small toad for local transport or a TT/5th wheel with the TV as your local transport.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Texas RV combined maximum is 65'. Other states similar. Be sure to walk it off, first. Published length figures can be figured several ways.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
Minor point, you estimated a 20' truck and 34' 5th wheel at 54 feet. It would be less than 50, a lot of the 5th wheel is over the rear of the truck.
I like the truck and bigger trailer option. It's far more versatile and it's the best towing setup.
You can get a 4 wheel drive diesel pickup that is a far superior powertrain than most small motorhomes.
A bigger trailer vs. two small RVs is kind of like the situation where you remodel old houses that are all divided into small spaces by knocking out walls to give you a larger space.
The truck is a whole lot better to drive around when the trailer is parked than a motorhome will be.
The truck is safer in an accident than a small motorhome.
Plus - you get a truck that you can drive anytime.
I also like that since I drive my truck regularly, I know what shape it's in. I know the tires are good, the alternator is charging, it's running right, etc. When you have an RV that sits parked most of the time, you don't always know what dried up or corroded or failed as you head out on a long trip.

And here's a whole new option for you: if you go with a truck, you could put a large camper on it and still tow your travel trailer. Then you still get all the benefits of using a truck - better powertrain, better safety, better towing performance, a truck that can do everything from commuting to work daily to hauling junk, and you still get a separate space to sleep.

That's what I do, I have a 10,000 trailer and I tow it with a diesel dually carrying an 11.5 foot camper, zero problems. And I drive the truck to work every day.

Thank you. You make good points. You are right about the overall length being a bit less. We actually just brought home the 34' fifth wheel and are going with that and our Ram 2500 for now.

I still like the concept of a tow vehicle with more room and convenience, like a short motor home. Maybe at some point I'll end up with a 3500 and camper with a pass-through window so at least the small dogs can roam during travel ๐Ÿ™‚

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Minor point, you estimated a 20' truck and 34' 5th wheel at 54 feet. It would be less than 50, a lot of the 5th wheel is over the rear of the truck.
I like the truck and bigger trailer option. It's far more versatile and it's the best towing setup.
You can get a 4 wheel drive diesel pickup that is a far superior powertrain than most small motorhomes.
A bigger trailer vs. two small RVs is kind of like the situation where you remodel old houses that are all divided into small spaces by knocking out walls to give you a larger space.
The truck is a whole lot better to drive around when the trailer is parked than a motorhome will be.
The truck is safer in an accident than a small motorhome.
Plus - you get a truck that you can drive anytime.
I also like that since I drive my truck regularly, I know what shape it's in. I know the tires are good, the alternator is charging, it's running right, etc. When you have an RV that sits parked most of the time, you don't always know what dried up or corroded or failed as you head out on a long trip.

And here's a whole new option for you: if you go with a truck, you could put a large camper on it and still tow your travel trailer. Then you still get all the benefits of using a truck - better powertrain, better safety, better towing performance, a truck that can do everything from commuting to work daily to hauling junk, and you still get a separate space to sleep.

That's what I do, I have a 10,000 trailer and I tow it with a diesel dually carrying an 11.5 foot camper, zero problems. And I drive the truck to work every day.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
The Reese Dual-Cam is what I've used for my enclosed behind any tow vehicle, whether it be the motorhome or any of the pick-ups I've towed it with. The trailer has has something like 60k+ miles being hauled around the eastern half of the country.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
fugawi wrote:
Would you need weight distribution and/or sway control if you are pulling with a heavier vehicle like the small A's or Bedlam's rig?

I would consider it depending on your motorhome's axle weights with a full load and trailer connected. I set up an F550 at work towing a 7k enclosed trailer with about 900 pounds tongue weight and elected to use a weight distribution hitch because the truck was loaded close to its rear axle capacity and was fairly light on the front.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The E450s all have the V10 with 4.56 gears, and starting with 2016 models (chassis model... the coach is sometimes a model year newer!), come with the 6-speed TorqueShift transission.

Really, I think some folks are overthinking this too much. The E450 (Class A or C) or the F53 Class A can all handle that size trailer, and perform adequately while doing it. It just may require keeping the rear cargo holds empty, to give up that weight for hitch weight.

I do see the appeal of having two separate RVs. For the majority of trips, being able to take only half the combo would be really nice. Plus, double the water capacity, double the bathrooms etc.

The bigger issue I see is hitch clearance. Many of the shorter TTs have a short tongue. You'll need a 4' tongue to keep the TT from hitting the motorhome during sharp turns. But there are some lightweights out there with a longer tongue. Just depends on make.

Weight distribution will be wanted, if anything just to prevent porpoising over bumps. If you get a motorhome with a high wheelbase to length ratio, sway control will not be needed. And that ratio is important for good handling anyways, so its something to watch out for. And... could be a good reason to go slightly larger on the motorhome. The longer motorhomes ofter get all the extra length in wheelbase (shorter coaches get shorter wheelbases, to keep wheel-wells out of the bedroom)
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Most of the shorter class Cs and the little Bs won't have much snort left for a larger trailer, but it all depends what, where, how often and how far you want to tow.
Personally the combination sounds a bit un wieldy to me but if you need separate living space for a lot of people then find the biggest engine, lowest ratio axle class C you can afford.
Just because it's unconventional seeing a camper towing a camper don't mean you can't doo it!

Have to ask though, what is the want or need to haul 2 separate living areas camping?
Long term digs with a short term adventure vehicle you can overnight in? Have to take the in laws with but don't like them? Got a gaggle of kids and an overflow chase vehicle?
Any of the above save for the first scenario would have me looking at one large camper of some sort and a toad or chase vehicle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lumpty wrote:
I pull a 7500lb enclosed race car trailer with a 24' E450 chassis Class C. Did a hitch upgrade and zero issues. The RV itself has a 10,000lb empty weight, a 14,500lb GVWR, and that aforementioned 22,000lb GCWR. This is a very stout chassis with some significant hauling capability.

Thank you! Good to know. Do you use weight distribution or sway control?

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 7500lb enclosed race car trailer with a 24' E450 chassis Class C. Did a hitch upgrade and zero issues. The RV itself has a 10,000lb empty weight, a 14,500lb GVWR, and that aforementioned 22,000lb GCWR. This is a very stout chassis with some significant hauling capability.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:

I tow over 6000 lbs just fine with my gas motorhome, just cause it has a hitch rated at 5000 lbs does not mean you cant upgrade hitch and tow more, just make sure the trailer has good brakes..

Thank you. Nice trailer setup and cargo! ๐Ÿ™‚

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
scrubjaysnest wrote:
Our Axis, 25 foot 3 inches, has a 22K GCVWR, on the scales it weighs 12400#, but the receiver is 8000# with a 500# tongue weight.

Thank you.

Bedlam
It will handle better with a WDH but may not be required if the tongue weight is light. I run a cheap Harbor Freight 10k WDH but no anti-sway devices.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD