cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bet this technology finds the body shop of the future

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
This could really be a handy tool as more aluminum vehicles show up. Bet somebody is already working on a line of tools.

I've seen it work on a Citation that was hit by a tug.

link
11 REPLIES 11

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD and BenK,
A McD field team came and pulled some 6" diameter dents out of the lower wing skin on a Citation Encore that had a tug go underneath the leading edge and also some dents from the leading edge proper. It would have been a pain to patch manually as they were in a wet bay forward of the spar that had some small oval access panels a distance away from the damage.
My pals who watched did not mention any dies so it might have been a variation on the original theme not needing them.
As everything airplane is generally low quantity production and grossly overpriced accordingly, some manufacturer could probably make one for auto use at a price affordable to body shops IMHO, especially given the F150 is probably the tip of the aluminum iceberg.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link to the patent....finished reading it and as thought it had
to be pulsed magnetic forces

Key is the 'die' that the mag forces push the sheetmetal into...guessing some
shapes can't be done this way...if the aspect ratio is to high...it won't or
will require even larger levels of power
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The device that McDonnell Douglas had was mobile,I moved it many times.

Really neat to see it work.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
a quick glance googling US 3998081A seems to me to read that it just uses a powerful magnet to pull the dent out. didn't (in quick cursory reading) about anything on the back side. similar to those that just use a suction cup.
bumpy

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
Google US 3998081A for the patent info and theory of operation.

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
It was created by Mc Donnell Douglas about 2000. Boeing inherited it in the sale. The patents have probably expired.
It's been about 10 years since I saw the results, but not the process.
Mark

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It says the process restores the material to original strength if not creased and doesn't mar the surface even if painted. Think about the potential for door ding repair....I wonder if it would work on steel? Think of the profit you could roll with a dent-doctor business with a machine that removed the dent in 5 minutes with no surface damage???

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
But ALU wire with a voltage/current *WILL* develop a magnetic 'field' around the wire...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
so how does it create a magnetic field on the back side, can it induce one?
bumpy

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:
Aluminum will not work with an induction cooker. Pan/poat must be made of a ferrous metal or have a ferrous metal insert between layers of aluminum. The multi-ply does not work as well as solid ferrous.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
so how does it create a magnetic field on the back side, can it induce one?
bumpy

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Wonder how much for one system and if local body shops can afford one...

Any more specs?

ALU work hardens in an instant and am wondering how this method leaves the area

Am guessing surges (spikes) akin to hammering
-Ben Picture of my rig