cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better ride when not towing?

Gator398
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible, to make a dually truck not shake like an earthquake on expansion joint roads when the trailer is off???!!

I have read about the kelderman 4 link or whatever, is that our only option?
2021 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS
2011 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7L
48 REPLIES 48

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Concrete roads? Nope, but it should be worse with the trailer on.
Just Rough riding? Lower tire pressure.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a truck person, but read your owners manual and/or door sticker for tire pressure, empty and loaded. If they are overinflated for the load they are carrying, you will get the ride you are describing. Best would be to get the truck weighed fully loaded with trailer, front and rear axle plus trailer axles. Then have the truck alone,as your daily driver weighed, again axle weights.
Then use the tire manufacturers chart for your particular tire to see the recommended pressure for each tire/axle. You might get a smoother ride for next o $0.00

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
All things will vibrate from some sort of input. When the input harmonic matches the thing’s natural harmonic and if the input continues to input, the thing will vibrate more within the same frequency.

Your running over the expansion joints sets up an input to your truck. Your speed dictates the frequency of the input to your TV.

Slowing down and/or speeding up will change the input frequency to your truck.

As for you trucks harmonic...the things that are part or contribute to its harmonic are the tires, suspension (shocks, bushing, shocks, architecture, etc), the body bushings to frame and a big ETC.

The Kelderman suspension you mention changes the suspension architecture and the air bags adjust what the input’s amplitude & suspension response...AKA tunes the suspension harmonic

Other than changing your speed, changing the tire PSI changes its harmonics, change the shocks and can go either way...more or less dampening, and everything else in that food chain.

Easiest and lowest cost is changing your speed...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
Are you 12?