Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BF Goodrich tire recall

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got this email:

"I am notifying you that we believe the BF Goodrich tires that you purchased for your 2012 Ford F350 on 9/3/2014 and 10/21/2014 are involved in a safety recall issued by Michelin/BF Goodrich and NHTSA. At your convenience, would you please stop by the location you purchased the tires from and let us verify this, and if in fact they are involved we will be replacing the tires with a new set at no charge to you."

Apparently 129,000 LT tires are being recalled:

Rubber news magazine

"• Rugged Terrain T/A—size: LT 275/70R18 125/122R; load range: LRE; MSPN: 05023; DOT sequence: BE150211; DOT production periods: 1414 to 4914

• Rugged Terrain T/A—size: LT 275/65R18 123/120R; load range: LRE; MSPN: 31847; DOT sequence: BEB90211; DOT production periods: 4114 to 0415

Michelin recommended that consumers remove the tires as soon as possible in order to receive a similar product at no cost. Tires can be returned to and replaced by an authorized BFGoodrich dealer, the company said."

It also includes a lot of Commercial TA tires.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
8 REPLIES 8

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK I got my tires replaced last week, however it turns out that Goodrich has eliminated the problem model and replaced it with this:

Link

The new model has stronger sidewalls and 15% better wear on highways (20% better on gravel roads). And better snow and mud traction.

I can't say much about this so called review except that they put the tires on a couple of vehicles and drove around for a couple days offroad mainly. It's more a travelogue for the Bodey ghost town. But then how do you measure tire performance unless for do a full Consumer's Reports test track review.
Superbumper

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting this information. My BFG Rugged Terrain tires were manufactured a about a year earlier per the date code.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Never heard of the new Michelin (Michelin Defender LTX M/S 3) until your e-mail update.

Be fun to see how this one lasts compared to the M/S 2.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well when we are out west we go off road a lot. Not extreme 4 wheeling but still rough roads far from civilization. So I wanted the T/A's. But I'm happy about this too. I was about to call to get an appointment to rotate tires but now they can just replace them with new ones. The old ones have at least 20,000 miles on them.
Superbumper

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
When they recalled my Commercial TA's last year they replaced them with Michelin XPS because I didn't want a lug type tire. I wanted a straight tread tire. XPS were $1335.00 mounted and balanced but no charge to me. I was happy.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
K02 for sure, I've got Rugged Terrain, but 285-17

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just as an update I got this email today:

"There are 3 choices for you and I would like for you to decide. 1. Michelin LTX M/S2 2. Michelin Defender LTX M/S 3. BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2."

They are offering three tires as the replacement for my recalled tires. The two Michelin's seem to be standard highway LT tires which don't fit my needs for occasional off road use. So I'll probably stick with the T/A KO2
Superbumper

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the intel...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"