cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big SUV or truck

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a tow vehicle for our new trailer. 5500# GVWR and tongue weight is around 650# loaded but may be more if we add bikes in our internal bike storage area.

I've got 4 options I'm considering:
1. Buy a 2014 F-150 with EcoBoost engine to replace our MDX
2. Buy a large SUV - Expedition, Sequoia, Armada, etc. to replace our MDX
3. Buy a cheap (8K or less), old truck to tow and keep using our MDX for daily driving
4. Rent a truck to tow for our 3-4 trips planned this summer and figure it all out next summer

Problems with the options:
1. Storage in truck difficult for groceries, stroller, kids day to day backpacks, dance bags, etc. And the expense of a new vehicle. And the truck is HUGE. Only a few inches on either side to get through garage door (hopefully the power fold mirrors are easy to use?) and probably a foot and half length to spare. So difficult for kids to walk around to get from house and into house, etc.
2. More expensive than the F-150 which has great employee pricing right now. Worse gas mileage than the F-150.
3. Potential maintenance costs and problems, likely can't get a super crew to hold the whole family (have rear facing car seats) so would need to take 2 vehicles every time
4. Expense of renting, having trouble finding a place that will rent trucks around me, and may involve taking 2 vehicles still as the one place I found so far doesn't have the super crews

Anyone been there, done that, or have any opinions?
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost
38 REPLIES 38

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best all in one solution is going to be a new full size SUV. It will fit inside the garage, carry your children and their stuff, and tow the trailer. You can save a lot by buying a used SUV, in particular one that is coming off a lease and is going to be 2-3 years old and with 30,000 or fewer miles on it. Look for one that came from the factory with the tow package option. You can lookup the vehicles VIN to confirm what was provided at the factory.

Gas economy will not be as good as with a pickup or your MDX but in terms of total costs for everything auto related it is the least important factor. If you have a truck only for towing you need to consider where you will keep it and some maintenance is required whether the truck is driven or not an in general it is harder on a vehicle that is sitting in terms of problems with the oil, fuel, AC compressor seals, tires, etc.

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Congratulations! I know you were hesitant at first and there are some compromises for shorter women in heals and skirt, but you will adapt and find tools and methods to make it easier. Enjoy!

Compromise of more jeans and boots? LOL

I know I'll be happy in the summer that the SUV isn't full of sand and it will be so easy to just take off with bikes somewhere in the bed. So I'll have gains as well. I'm getting excited to have it come home tomorrow!
2015 Jayco X213

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! I know you were hesitant at first and there are some compromises for shorter women in heals and skirt, but you will adapt and find tools and methods to make it easier. Enjoy!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input everyone. We bought a 2014 F-150 and are picking it up Thursday. I hope it's the right decision. We do have a second vehicle that we just bought earlier this year that's got amazing gas mileage so if the kids want friend to come along, we can always take it too.

The new SUVs were out of our price range right now and the few I checked had less payload than the truck. And I didn't have the energy to search around for a used vehicle. The new shopping was exhausting enough and we want to use it this weekend so we can actually camp in our new trailer!

Funny someone should mention a Weber. We have the Q220 and it fits under our dinette but one of the first things my husband said was "and now I can put the grill in the back of the truck!".

dodge guy wrote:
I believe that i read and heard the Ecoboost is going into the Expedition for 2015! That could be a great option!!!

Yes I would have liked to wait and check that out! I really wanted to be able to use our camper this summer though and it's not out yet. I have 3 weekends booked up to the 2nd week of September. Once the kids are in school and activities again, it's unlikely we'll be able to go. We got the truck for a good price too.
2015 Jayco X213

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Now to camping, Yes, there is some downsides. one big one for us, is the BBQ. Our Weber Q does not fit in the pass-thru storage on our trailer, and I do not want a smelly BBQ inside an SUV. So we'll either have to change BBQ's or find a good storage solution (tongue rack??).

I put our Webber Q220 on the floor inside the camper door. The odor is quickly vented upon arrival at a campsite (or home).
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe that i read and heard the Ecoboost is going into the Expedition for 2015! That could be a great option!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

2500HDee
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
SilverEscape wrote:
I don't like the look of toppers, at all, LOL but even if I succumbed to one, still can't see me getting climbing in with heels and a skirt to get out the baby's bag for daycare.

This is why I was considering the large SUV. Even though none of them are my style either.

Just want to point out that even with two car seats in the back seat of a crew cab truck, there is still a lot of floor room for diaper bags, groceries, etc. where you would only need to put a stroller in the truck bed. Current trucks are a lot more family friendly than they used to be.

We have both a crew cab truck w/ canopy and Sequoia and actually prefer to use the truck for family outings...although 2 kids and no car seats but additionally, two small dogs.

We too have a crew cab with a topper and an SUV. We always use the truck for family trips as you can fit the whole family in the truck and tons of stuff in the bed. I also put a roof rack on so we can haul a space booster if we want.

I have had SUVs, Vans, Trucks, and Cars and nothing tops the usefulness of the crew cab pickup for a family unless you need seating for 6+
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 6.0L
2012 Summerland 2600TB

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just say that if you're looking at Platinum F150s then buying an old gasser 2500 Suburban/PU as a third vehicle wouldn't phase me. Dollars to doughnuts you'll probably come out ahead even after bringing it up to snuff. Sure mileage sucks, but if you think you'll get anywhere near MDX mileage with an EB truck think again. Over 25k miles my F150 averaged a hair under 16 MPG with only 10% towing. Never once had it above 18, but some others can somehow.

Just my $.02

GL!
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
SilverEscape wrote:
I don't like the look of toppers, at all, LOL but even if I succumbed to one, still can't see me getting climbing in with heels and a skirt to get out the baby's bag for daycare.

This is why I was considering the large SUV. Even though none of them are my style either.

Just want to point out that even with two car seats in the back seat of a crew cab truck, there is still a lot of floor room for diaper bags, groceries, etc. where you would only need to put a stroller in the truck bed. Current trucks are a lot more family friendly than they used to be.

We have both a crew cab truck w/ canopy and Sequoia and actually prefer to use the truck for family outings...although 2 kids and no car seats but additionally, two small dogs.
I love me some land yachting

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
I've dealt with rental companies quite abit, and you usually can't reserve a specific vehicle, unless it is there upon your arrival for car pickup. In other words, you may be able to request a truck, but getting one that is allowed to tow may be another thing altogether.

when my brother's truck broke down (1st day of a 20 day trip), they called every type of rental agency (the usual suspects, driving force, etc). to no avail. The basic response was, we only have a couple of trucks we allow to tow, and they were supposed to be returned awhile ago (weeks). So that tells me that they are VERY hard to get ahold of. Even reserving something, there is no garuntees. A rental company won't leave a car sitting unused just because it is reserved in a week.

If I were you, I'd get a tahoe. From the sounds of it, you have a family of five, and I imagine they have friends that would want to come along at some point.

I have a truck right now, and am very close to pulling the trigger on a 3/4t SUV, while I know there are compromises, I think the SUV will suit our lifestyle better. But I do have access to a truck or utility trailer if absolutely required.

While I understand what everyone is saying about just adding a tonneau/topper to the truck, it is not the same. The bed of a truck, no matter how well you try to seal it, always allows dust in, and it is always hot (even when driving). With an SUV, at least while driving the storage area cools off.

Now to camping, Yes, there is some downsides. one big one for us, is the BBQ. Our Weber Q does not fit in the pass-thru storage on our trailer, and I do not want a smelly BBQ inside an SUV. So we'll either have to change BBQ's or find a good storage solution (tongue rack??).

The other bad thing, is leaving a campsite when it is raining. Right now, we could just throw everything (wet) into the back of the truck and go home and worry about it there. I'll probably end up with some tupperware containers for this purpose.

At any rate, you have to weigh the pros and cons.
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Use a hockey stick to pull stuff out of the bed with a tonneau cover on.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cv67cheng
Explorer
Explorer
Enterprise rents HD pick ups for towing. Rented one every year for 4 years for high school band enclosed trailer that weighed 7K loaded. Just an FYI.
Pain is temporary...Quitting last forever!
USN retired, LDO CDR, 31 years.

TOOBOLD
Explorer
Explorer
If you already own the MDX outright I would keep it as a daily driver. I would look at an older 3/4 ton van as a tow vehicle. Typically cheaper than the trucks and the large SUV. You will need the 3/4 ton for the CCC. As far as insurance just insure it with liability only and what we do before long towing trips is add full coverage for the trip only. The van will have enough room for everyone and should be good for your stroller. Price them out you might be surprised.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You are learning how wide the range or capability for RVing the half ton pickup market is. I wanted a 2011/2012 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost but ended up in an SUV for kid separation and parental sanity.

I still think an older pickup would work best for you as a 3rd vehicle. Keep your luxury SUV for main DD/family duty.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R