cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bilsteins on a Ram 3/4 ton?????????

Herzog
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 2500 is a daily driver and i have lowered the tire air pressure to 40 pounds front and rear.

It is my daily driver and I only tow 8,000 pound 5th wheel about 4 times per year.

I know it'll never ride like a 1500, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it more comfortable.

I've read hundreds of reviews on bilstiens shocks but every opinion seems different.

A few folks have said they are firmer but better, some say stiffer, and a guy on YouTube posted a video saying that his 2500 duramax rides at least as good as any 1500 with only the shock change (certainly I dint believe that one).

I looked at soft ride springs, but they all raise the truck....it's too high already for my 5th wheel and barely fits in the garage now.

Help....can I get an honest review on bilsteins (or something else) that will help this wonderful truck ride at least somewhat better...

Thanks in advance....
23 REPLIES 23

Herzog
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Check out sulastic.com

They make a replacement spring shackle that is supposed to soften the ride without compromising performance. Very interesting concept. $400

They don't have anything available for the newer ram 3/4 ton with coil springs

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Check out sulastic.com

They make a replacement spring shackle that is supposed to soften the ride without compromising performance. Very interesting concept. $400

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There IS a solution and shocks aren't it.
It's called Kelderman Air Ride. That's what you need.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Greene728 wrote:
Herzog wrote:
Greene728 wrote:
If the tires are at 40 psi and your still not happy, Bilsteins aren't gonna help you. They will make a difference sure, but not that much. Mostly towing and handling with some better ride compliance. But, sounds to me you are expecting to much out of a truck that was built to work with the ride coming in a distant second. And don't expect your tires to last too long at that pressure. As already asked, is the truck gas or diesel?

Thanks for the replies.....it is a 6.4 gasser 4x4.

So far, the tires are wearing very well and evenly.

No problem! The 6.4 Hemi is actually part of your problem. It's much lighter than the diesel so the front end suspension isn't as compressed with the light weight of the Hemi up front. My opinion is save your money. Yes, the Bilstein is a great shock and superior to the OEM shocks. But, its not really going to effect the ride to any noticeable difference.

The trucks have different front springs for a hemi vs. a cummins.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Herzog wrote:
Greene728 wrote:
If the tires are at 40 psi and your still not happy, Bilsteins aren't gonna help you. They will make a difference sure, but not that much. Mostly towing and handling with some better ride compliance. But, sounds to me you are expecting to much out of a truck that was built to work with the ride coming in a distant second. And don't expect your tires to last too long at that pressure. As already asked, is the truck gas or diesel?

Thanks for the replies.....it is a 6.4 gasser 4x4.

So far, the tires are wearing very well and evenly.

No problem! The 6.4 Hemi is actually part of your problem. It's much lighter than the diesel so the front end suspension isn't as compressed with the light weight of the Hemi up front. My opinion is save your money. Yes, the Bilstein is a great shock and superior to the OEM shocks. But, its not really going to effect the ride to any noticeable difference.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
I put Bilstien on my 2001 2500HD (new) when I only had about 1000 miles on it. Stock was to bouncy so I put the Bilstien's on. It smoothed out when TT was attached and made the ride empty even stiffer, but I wanted truck and expected it to ride like one.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

408f150
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want to smooth out your ride on a newer Ram 2500 look into getting some Thuren or Carli springs and Fox 2.0 shocks. I upgraded to those on my 2016 2500 CTD and it's a huge improvement.
2016 Ram 3500 Outdoorsman 4x4 6.7 CTD
2016 Keystone Raptor 352TS

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
goducks10 wrote:
Problem with the new Ram 2500's IIRC the TPMS won't allow you to air down to 45 PSI. With my 12 Ram 2500 CTD the front weighs 4800 lbs. Door sticker says 65psi. Rear weighs around 28-2900lb. Door sticker says 45 psi. I have upgraded the tires to a larger tire with a higher load rating. I still run what the door sticker says. 65F, 45R. Last time I went to Discount for a rotate they said they were wearing perfect.
You don't need big psi in the rear. It weighs almost 2000lbs less than the front.
But if you can't lower the psi in the rear then what do you do? I doubt shocks
will help all that much if you can't run a lower psi in the rear.

You can, you just get the tire light on.
Dealer software can't re program thresholds anymore but there is one aftermarket product that will now but it's spendy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
FishOnOne wrote:
At 40 psi don't expect your tires to last long, but it is a way to smooth out the ride.

That's low for the front unless you have really wide tires. 285 tires at 50psi are fine holding up the diesel though.
40 in the rear empty on stock tires is fine.
Bilstens will help the bounce/rebound but will not offer a "softer ride". You have about the best riiding combo with the rear coils. Any softer and you need to get a half ton. Imo
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bilstien 4600's, well worth the $$$. 5100's are the exact same shock but designed for stock and up to 2" lift.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Problem with the new Ram 2500's IIRC the TPMS won't allow you to air down to 45 PSI. With my 12 Ram 2500 CTD the front weighs 4800 lbs. Door sticker says 65psi. Rear weighs around 28-2900lb. Door sticker says 45 psi. I have upgraded the tires to a larger tire with a higher load rating. I still run what the door sticker says. 65F, 45R. Last time I went to Discount for a rotate they said they were wearing perfect.
You don't need big psi in the rear. It weighs almost 2000lbs less than the front.
But if you can't lower the psi in the rear then what do you do? I doubt shocks
will help all that much if you can't run a lower psi in the rear.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
40psi rear no load is printed right on The Most Holy Door Sticker on my Dodge 3500. Front is more guess cause it is a Cummings.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well 2001 Ram 2500 and we tow/carry a 12,360# GVWR 32' 5er.
I didn't like the bounce at bridge transitions with the shock that we on it when I bought it.
Looked at Bil's and decided 5100's well what I got was Shock, shock!!
These were still working pretty good when I replaced them at 255,00 miles in 2014!!

Yes, the build date is 9/13/99!

The Bil's work great, but once again if you want a Cadillac ride, buy a Cadillac!!

To Fish, 40 psi in an LT tire rated for 3,415# at 80 psi will not shorten tire life if it is only carrying about 1,500# ! The big plus is better TRACTION and better ride!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
How long have you had the truck? After almost a year now, and 22K kms, we've pretty much got used to the ride. And I don't even air down my tires.

Ride's not as good as our previous 4x2 F150, but actually a bit better than our old 4x4 Tacoma. That thing was really a stiff neck-breaker designed more to climb rocks I think.

Don't think Bilsteins will help, but good luck.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow