cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

black tank treatment

oxygen
Explorer II
Explorer II
What are the amounts of dish soap and calgon used to keep the black water tanks cleaner?

Thanks
Del
2012 F-150 XLT,screw, EcoBoost-3.5 liter, Heavy Duty, payload 2400
2014 Rockwood 2604WS, Equalizer head
8 REPLIES 8

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
I,m stickin with the blue stuff. My stuff just stinks so bad and easily overpowered the Geo method, especially in this heat.
Full timing it since July 2012

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
personally we avoid adding any additional dish soap to the tanks. It foams up to much. However, I do add about a cup of High Efficiency laundry detergent to each tank along with a cup or so of mixed up liquid calgon to each tank. For the black tank I also put in some of the black tank stuff with the microbes in it. Then add a gallon or so of water to each tank as well

Inexpensive and it does seem to keep the tanks clean and the sensors working.

And with the microbe digester, very little odor. In fact, trailers been sitting in the driveway for a week from our last trip, temps in the 90's. and getting ready to flush the tanks, opening the toilet drain and no noticeable odor at all.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
odis wrote:
Why not use the little Bottles of RV toilet chemicals? Are they bad for the system?
Thanks
Jim

No, they are designed for the system. Many people use the GEO method listed above because Calgon water Softner and some laundry detergent are much cheaper, coat the inside of the tank making it too slippery for anything to stick (no dreaded mountains of pooh) and reportedly help keep the sensors working.

To answer the original Posters question, I use a cap full of calgon and approximately the same amount of powder detergent and then hold the flush value on the toilet down until I have what I estimate to be a couple gallons go down the toilet. If I know it's going to be a while before I use the camper again, I may let a little more water go down. I do all this after dumping so it can slosh around on my trip home. It sloshes again on my next trip on the way to the campground.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
the post above about using bleach, is something I heard you should not do. the bleach and urine mix into a gas that is not good for you.

odis
Explorer
Explorer
Why not use the little Bottles of RV toilet chemicals? Are they bad for the system?
Thanks
Jim

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Just throw some in. Doesn't matter. Anything is better than nothing. I don't know of any "rule" or formula. We pour a dishpan of dishwater soap down the toilet sometimes. (Mosly to put more liquid in it). Sometimes we toss in a cup of bleach and a couple gallons of water and drive around and then dump the bleach and rense with clean water so the bleach won't (long term) hurt the rubber on the dump valves. Sometimes we do nothing. Sometimes we drop a chemical pouch in there.

Do dishes, save the dishwater in a pan, and then toss that down the toilet. If you do that, you've got a good start. The idea is to add enough to make everything slippery.

If you want your tanks cleaned, drain them. Add 3 or 4 gallons of water. Put in a few squirts of Dawn Dishwashing liquid, little bit of bleach and then drive around for 10 minutes so it can all slosh around real good. It will break anything loose "hanging around" inside the tank and keep it smelling good.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geo - links

Geo method.. will it hurt my plumbing?
Geo - can't find Calgon 07
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman