cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black vs White

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
Just went camping at Calico Ghost Town in Barstow, CA with temps up to 105 degrees. The A/C ran all day and only brought the trailer temp down to 81 degrees.
While outside I looked up and noticed the A/C cover is black and not white like our last two trailers. I'm wondering it a white cover would help the A/C unit cool better and not work as hard?
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab
26 REPLIES 26

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
It was in the 90s last week and we had no shade at the CG. Our A/C struggled to keep the TT cool at times. It didn't help that the CG power supply was overtaxed since almost every site was occupied. The power even went out once, and there were several quick brown outs as well.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure which Wilderness model you have, I have a 2750RL with the 15K AC. I have no problem keeping the interior cool (72*) Our last trip the daytime highs were 100* each day. My biggest challenge is having the wife realize you cannot leave the door open and expect it to stay cool inside.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
Good video and I'm gonna check mine. But I'm thinking a silicon caulk where the air leaks between the cold output and hot return will hold up better than tape with adhesive on it. It seems that adhesive glues always let go with heat and any stick on material will suffer the same fate as the adhesive liquifies. One man's opinion.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Watch this video, it is only 2:24 long and WILL have an impact on your trailer's cooling if you attempt to correct the problems. When I did mine, the air distribution increased by a lot. Hard to tell how much better the return is, but the cooling is substantially better now. Very easy for anyone to do, just a little time consuming to do it right.

youtube - All Seasons Mobile RV Repair. RV AC not cooling properly
I love me some land yachting

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
spadoctor wrote:
from pictures online your trailer is grey and black so hence the black ac cover. The darker color of the rig will make it harder to cool no matter the size of the ac....the 15k would help but bot cure the problem nor would the white cover on the ac unit.
I would agree with this.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
from pictures online your trailer is grey and black so hence the black ac cover. The darker color of the rig will make it harder to cool no matter the size of the ac....the 15k would help but bot cure the problem nor would the white cover on the ac unit.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes, it has an effect but probably negligible.

The newer dark colored RV's, likely have a much bigger impact.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
APT wrote:
If your whole trailer where black, then maybe. But not the small surface area of the AC unit itself.

Does the additional heat around the unit itself impact the cooling efficiency?
In general my experience has been when it's really hot out a single 13.5 K BTU unit struggles to keep up, regardless of the color of the A/C shroud .
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Can you temporarily cover the AC (leaving the vents open) with a white or reflective material to test your theory?

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If your whole trailer where black, then maybe. But not the small surface area of the AC unit itself.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd assume a white cover would help but the majority of the work is the compressor and condenser removing the heat from the inside. I'd bet that the small differential in temperature of the AC parts underneath would not make that great a difference in the efficiency of the AC.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LukeS
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Heartland and in temps above 90 degrees it struggles. It is 13.5 and think I should of upgraded to 15,000. Anything helps and white might help some.
I go to Riverside and it get hot as you know. Last year had same issues and if no shade is available would spray the unit down with water. It seemed to help somewhat, but going bigger and or second unit such as a portable unit may be an option.