cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake question

Daveid01
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a 24 foot Komfort kampsite trailer and while getting new tires put on, I noticed that the driver side axles have wires running to the brakes but the passenger side wires have been cut and capped. Is this normal or do I need to get those wires on the passenger side hook back up? When I use the trailer brake in the truck while driving it home, the brakes did work on the trailer but I am guessing they are only coming from one side?
Thank you in advance for any help. I appreciate it.

David
11 REPLIES 11

Daveid01
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome! Thanks guys. I did pull one of the dust caps off and it all looked brand new but I will be checking those soon as well.
Thanks again and I will post more b if I run into any trouble. I really appreciate your time and info.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, it is not normal or safe to have trailer brake wires cut and capped.
Does seem odd so double check to verify what you think you saw.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think somebody that just bought a used trailer would want to look at the bearings and brakes before pulling it. At bare minimum, make sure of adjustment and function.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
WNJJ is correct . You should be able to hear the magnets sucking the shoe levers up .

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
No need to jack anything up. The brake coils will sing when activated and are easy to hear. Just put your head down near each wheel to confirm them.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK but be careful jacking up a trailer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You can very easily test that by jacking up one side of trailer, spinning a tire by hand, and using the manual trailer brake override.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Daveid01
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. This will give me a great place to start. I will take a look this weekend. We haven't taken it out yet so I want to make sure nothing is overlooked or a suprise.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have someone actuate your brakes while you listen and feel for the brakes to operate on both sides.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Take a closer look. On a lot of trailers the brake wires will run inside the axle tube from one side to the other side.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
The wires need to be connected for that side to work. Imagine your tow vehicle only having brakes on one side, you're either going to have a bad pull to one side or the other.