cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken Frame

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Discovered today my passenger side frame rail Is fully severed. No idea how long it has been like that. Big TC's and rough roads don't mix well. Oh well, take it to a frame shop and splint it then sell the TC and get a small fiver.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.
83 REPLIES 83

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Here are the frame pictures that Raften (Jim) took of the break.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Won't be any pics of the repair since the tie down mount bolts over the area. The holes drilled for the mount will always be a question in my mind but weight of TC is at the top of the list.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:

As far as the auto industry engineers go, what makes people think that every part is made with the most reliability in mind? My experience tells me that those engineers like every other engineer makes a tradeoff, and there will almost always be potential improvements that are possible.

If people think auto engineers are so great why do they design oil filters to mount horizontally and put them above the exhaust pipe so you have the smell of burning oil for the next 100 miles? Why do they design engines and bodies so you have to loosen the motor mounts and raise the engine to change spark plugs? Why do they design the fuel pumps inside of the fuel tank? Why do they design bad exhaust manifold so they break and mount them with bad studs that break? Give me someone who's gone through the school of hard knocks vs a dumb degree.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

BlueCoyote
Explorer
Explorer
Raften wrote:
Repair is done, end of story until there is a after story. One or two pics of the break will be up but no pic of the repair so as to avoid more of a P match. Jeeze

Please do post a photo of the break- it can be a valuable lesson for the rest of "us" on what to look for. As for not posting the repair - I can respect that too. 5 different fabricators may repair the same damage differently, does not mean 1 is right and 4 are wrong - its a different method with the same result - truck frame is fixed and is going down the road safely. Glad you got it taken care of.
2005 EnduraMax - camping with a lift gate
1990 Chevy V3500
1987 Bigfoot C11.5 - 4 sale

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Kioti,
That tech bulletin was a very good read. Ford always comes thru with the helpful goods, whereas Dodge obfuscates as much as they can or provides no information bowing to the wishes of their high bucks counsel to stay mum: don't claim any ability=no lawsuit.
If Ford only had a Cummins and a G56. Im sure I'm not the first to come to this.
After Raften's broken back, I'm looking on C.L. for a suitable used, 5 series truck, or maybe even a 24', 4WD class C on a 5 series chassis.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was doing vehicle inspections as a course of my work, it was always shocking to see the number of frames that were cracked, broke in two, shock mounts broken and even motor mounts broken. The driver's not knowing what to expect were still driving them. Even school buses. depending where and how catastrophic of a frame break is, it would be easy to be driving down the road with a vehicle in this condition. Crawling up and under a vehicle for a vehicle inspection of your truck, loaded preferred, should be a standard thing to do on at least an annual basis. Especially if you know that your vehicle would draw the attention of the Weight Police. Good thing the OP was doing just that, when this situation was discovered.

I was just under my truck and trailer a week ago. I mostly check for nests and other things that just might catch fire. Another thing to check for, if you are prone to camp out in the middle of no where, even for just one night.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
billtex, you are correct.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reddog1 wrote:
jmckelvy wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
I'm not sure why there is an assumption that a different feel means bad. .......

I was thinking the same thing. The truck had a BROKEN FRAME that is now fixed. ๐Ÿ™‚

It should feel different. Perhaps as it felt before the frame broke?
Pretty much my thoughts. Who knows how long the frame was broke. Driving with one frame rail would be less ridged than two frame rails.

Wayne

Wayne...I think you mean "rigid" (unbending/stiff)
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it would be great to see the before and after photos. It could be of value to others.

At Raften's request, I will lock the thread after he posts the photos.

Wayne

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne:

OK. Got it.

OP:

Very much looking forward to seeing a pic (or, pictures) of the break. Of course, it is completely up to you if you don't want to post photos of the repaired item. No question there.

Cheers,
Silver-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
silversand wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Pretty much my thoughts. Who knows how long the frame was broke. Driving with one frame rail would be less ridged than two frame rails.
... Tell me you are just being facetious? Or, do you mean driving with one frame rail would feel softer?...
I think you might be reading into my post. I am not being facetious at all. In my opinion, driving with one frame rail would be less ridged than two frame rails. That does mean driving with one frame rail would feel softer.

Wayne

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Repair is done, end of story until there is a after story. One or two pics of the break will be up but no pic of the repair so as to avoid more of a P match. Jeeze

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne wrote:

....driving with one frame rail (God forbid) puts the driver's and passenger's lives in grave danger, and endangers the lives of everyone driving in close proximity.

Am I wrong? Tell me you are just being facetious? Or, do you mean driving with one frame rail would feel softer?

A question for the OP would be: is the repair markedly stiffer feeling than the original frame-intact experience (just to clarify) ?

Silver-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmckelvy wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
I'm not sure why there is an assumption that a different feel means bad. .......

I was thinking the same thing. The truck had a BROKEN FRAME that is now fixed. ๐Ÿ™‚

It should feel different. Perhaps as it felt before the frame broke?

Wayne