Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bronco 800 on 2003 tundra

hooksmee
Explorer
Explorer
We will be taking off for an extended road trip in our "home on wheels"
in the next few weeks. The question is this: is the Bronco 800 usable OFF the truck, ie, standing on its "legs"? We're wondering if we can establish our camp and then use the truck sans camper. thanks
7 REPLIES 7

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to add that, yes...my husband had added extra support to the underside of the box. More to build it up for cab-over clearance, but to add strength underneath as well.
Lisa, Bobby & Dorothy the Wonder Dog
2013 F250 crew cab/6/5 foot bed w/
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't worry about tipping... Can't happen.

The camper will not see-saw over on its nose just from two average, or even heavy, people climbing up into the cabover.

Front jack collapse is not the same as tipping over. For that I recommend lowering the camper as close to the ground as possible and adding extra support underneath.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
hooksmee wrote:
also...what do y'all use to support the floor while off the truck AND what do you use to support the "bed" area that is over the cab..how do you keep it from tipping over? thx

There should be no risk of the bed area tipping over given the weight of the rest of the camper behind - Given the physics I think I would need to squeeze two horses in the overcab area of my camper to topple it, and I am pretty sure I would have a major structural failure of the camper long before I got enough weight in to cause it to fall over.

I don't know about your particular camper, but some aren't designed to be used off the truck with an unsupported floor, while others (the majority I believe) are structurally designed for this.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
I put the 4 jack stands UNDER the box(floor) part. We have a level app on our phone and use the "bullseye" level to get it leveled. Just put it on the floor and get the bubble in the middle.

Don't worry about the tipping.
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon

hooksmee
Explorer
Explorer
also...what do y'all use to support the floor while off the truck AND what do you use to support the "bed" area that is over the cab..how do you keep it from tipping over? thx

hooksmee
Explorer
Explorer
thanks!! we're still learning the dos and don'ts...where have y'all camped with it..any boondocking?

WVbassmistress
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, Hooks!

We took ours off the truck and had absolutely no problem. Lowered it down on 4 jack stands as close to the ground as possible. Make sure to take some extra blocks to get it level. If I can ever get Photobucket to work for me I will post pictures

Enjoy.
Firestone airbags
2006 KZ Jag - 29 ft
Ranger Z518
22 ft Suntracker Pontoon