Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Build a truck

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings all,

Those of you who have ordered a truck built to your specs from the factory, how did that go? And did you pay full msrp or is their a price process just like a vehicle on a dealer lot?

Any input is appreciated as I have no clue how it works.
26 REPLIES 26

Jebster
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my current Ram, and got a really good deal. My sales guy mentions it every time I see him. He even called right before delivery to ask a question about my wife's car, which is a Hyundai, that we might qualify for more incentives. I looked and looked, and the dealer looked, and neither of us could find a Ram 3500 with the specific options I wanted, so I would bet there is not another Ram exactly like mine. Unique.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
We got X plan pricing from Ford. Price was 1000 lower than expected because of additional incentive available when vehicle arrived at dealer.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered my current truck between Christmas and New Years of '03. Took delivery the 2ed or 3rd of Feb. '04. Payed the price I wanted to pay.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Can't speak to how Ford handles their customer order vehicles but all the FCA vehicles I have ordered two trucks and three other vehicles the customer gets the highest rebates at time of delivery. In other words say at time of order there where $3,500 in total rebates but at time of delivery the rebates where $7,500 you would receive the $7,500.

There are some Ford employees on here that might be willing to give you a discount number to get a little more off the cost of the truck. Good luck

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Bedlam
You have to go through the commercial/fleet department to get knowledgeable staff. On the retail side, the product range is too wide and staff retention is too low.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
tinstartrvlr wrote:
Great info everyone. Thank you.

Think I'll just gather as much info about what I want and then head to some dealers, and go from there. Could be fun.

Be careful thinking a dealers sales person will know how to put your order together as an example with ram if you get the snow plow prep package the glove box weight sticker will say That the truck is not recommended for slide in camper use . Of course the truck will handle it but not if your plowing ! Also clearance lights are an option unless you get dual rear wheel package then they are park of that package . Just do your home work and know what your ordering so you don't have any surprises. None of dealers people, I had gone to four different dealers pricing a truck knew anything about the two things I mentioned and there are lots more like that. Good luck
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my 2016 Ram 3500 dually from a dealership in Indiana. The salesman even drove my new truck to Maryland and swapped out with my 2012 and it was a great experience. I did not pay MSRP. He hooked me up with a huge discount. I ended up paying almost 10K off the build price. He even had dual headrest DVD system put in at a specialty shop for me. (of course I paid the shop for the DVD system separately),,,but it was worth it because now my daughter has a great DVD system for watching movies on the trips to the campground. PM me if you want his contact info. He is also on the Cummins forum and has helped many others get a great deal on a new truck.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
It's a process and you have to be well educated on the product. Play with the websites to determine what is available together and not available and when you have it like you want take a printed copy with you to negotiate price.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
But wait, there's more-> What the OP needs to get smart on options is the order guide. Google for "Ford 2017 Super Duty Order Guide". It has all of the same order codes that the dealer will use, and shows combinations allowed or not allowed. There is usually 2 versions during a model year called Job 1 and Job 2, and a few things will change from one to the other. Little things can change other things like a 2012 F-350 SRW Diesel would be rated for 11,500 with all terrain tires and 11,300 with highway tires--it will show that kind of stuff.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
My opinion may vary from yours. I've ordered 3 out of 5 Ford trucks, and probably wouldn't do anything else in the future. My experience is Ford only. Remember you buy a truck every few years--the dealers do it every day. So, you need to go armed with information. The big dealers would rather sell a truck on the lot than order, but they'll order to make a sale. Your most powerful bargaining technique is to not make a purchase if you don't get what you want--the dealers know that there is a 90% chance that they will not make a sale if you leave. Don't be surprised if they tell you that 2017 ordering is cut off--this is about the time of year that it happens. Then, they won't know prices and options until mid-summer. Dealers absolutely can lock in the rebates available at order time and then give you additional rebates in effect at delivery. It takes a little more work for them registering the order with Ford, and some will not do it. My dealer did it for me and I got an additional $750 off. Invoice is not dealer cost, it is just an accounting point, and can be used for a negotiating point. The build your truck site can be strange at times. For instance, a few years ago, it wouldn't let you select the heavy option on an F-150 unless first selected the correct rear axle ratio, which one typically does not know. I complained and Ford fixed it so you could pick the package, and then the site would pick the correct axle ratio. Also, it can be a struggle with Ford to get the options you want in the combinations that you want, as others have said.

Keep asking questions on this thread, and we'll share our specific experiences.

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
tinstartrvlr wrote:
..and then head to some dealers. Could be fun.

Famous last words. Custer probably thought gathering up a few boys and heading for Little Big Horn would be fun too.

Good luck at the dealers. We're all cheering for you!
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
Great info everyone. Thank you.

Think I'll just gather as much info about what I want and then head to some dealers, and go from there. Could be fun.

Bedlam
I have ordered my last three vehicles. They were at "dealer cost" or less plus I was able get all the incentives currently offered.

As posted, many options are part of a package and some of these packages overlap with what is offered. You also need to price out what you want at different trim levels. Sometimes it makes sense to get a higher level trim that has your desired options, other times it works out to option a lower trim level.

In my case, I avoided the max tow option because it forced me to a 4.88 gear ratio yet I could get some of those pieces by ordering different packages. I did not want remote locks and ignition, so I also was able trim and option the truck out while avoiding this option.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Back in January 2001 I ordered my truck. Took delivery end of March for 1 percent over invoice.
The best deals came six months later but no big deal 16 years later.