cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Busted Door Hinge

NJ6PACK
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting my TT ready for spring so I run to Walmart in my Van to get some supplies. As I open the door in the parking lot the wind catches the door and swung it open HARD.

It didn't hit anything but now it rubs the front fender and it makes a horrible groan. When I open the door halfway there is play in the door if I lift up on it. Compared the gaps to the passenger door I know things are out of wack or broken

I will try to stop by an Auto Body shop later today to see what they have to say. ....until then I'm wondering what others have paid for this type of repair or if there is anything else I need to know.

Thanks
Chris
2007 Max Lite ML28 RS
1999 Ford E 350 Super Duty 15 Passenger Ext Van
6.8L V10 / 3.73 Gears
12 REPLIES 12

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Well from what I have seen the part the bends is not the hing but the door pillar itself. The only way to fix it is remove the door and fender then pull the bent area back out. About a 3 to 4.5 hour job should be able to have it done for $250.

If it was my truck I would opt for having it fixed. But as long as your happy with the fix that's all that matters.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Great story! I'm glad it worked out for you and free to boot. Time to hook your trailer up and go have fun.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

NJ6PACK
Explorer
Explorer
*** UPDATE ***

I took the van to a body shop that my mechanic recomended to me

He looked at it and pointed a the hinge and the said this and that are bent and as I know the door rubs the fender.

He asked me a few more questions such as what I use the the van for I told him irs primarily used to pull the TT or its a back up car if my wifes or mine is is in the shop. I also mentioned Im not too crazy on details.....if something can be done and not noticed from two feet away that's fine with me (a brand new van I would want it perfect)

He said I'll be right back....he comes out with a fender puller that looks more like a midevil weapon bangs on it about 7 times and now its fine.....he says no charge, come see me if you ever need major work

Needless to say im very happy. I still have to make a shim Monday at work but that'll be a minor thing to do.

I definitely have to give this guy a 5 star rating. ...Ryans Auto Body in Ocean Township, NJ

Some people say its good Karma, the other day I was on the bus going to work in NYC and this guy gets up and a $10 bill falls from his pocket, I could of kept it but I ran up to him and gave it to him
2007 Max Lite ML28 RS
6.8L V10 / 3.73 Gears

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
E-series hinges are bolt-on. Probably a 1-hr job a body shop, if that. Since your van is white there should be an abundance of matching parts at the salvage yard. But I do agree its possible the pillar was bent, or the mounting pad on the door side.

The studs are long enough to do a little shimming on the pillar side. Really you can probably repair it in your driveway. The wire connectors are behind the kick panel. If it's only a little off (after you replace the hinges) you can probably make some adjustments on the door side with a big hammer.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I had an old Silverado with the hinges welded on. A weld on the drivers door hinge cracked on the jamb (cab) side. The door was making an awful noise when I opened and closed it and causing the door to rub on the fender. A local welding shop proped up the door with a floor jack and rewelded the hinge. I think it cost me $40.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
Double post
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

Bluhorn
Explorer
Explorer
I would definately take it to a body shop. As others have said it could be a hinge or bent pillar or both.Do you have comp insurance? You could use that if the repair cost is high. Lets hope not. Good luck!
1993 Dodge D 250 Cummins Club Cab
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4 Quad Cab
2022 Palomin9 Solaire 242RB
Chance The Senior Husky

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately most door hinges today are weld on. In the old days one could just loosen 6 or 8 bolts and shim or readjust the door. Not so anymore, or at least on all of the doors I have seen.

It could be many things. You could have bent the pillar or maybe the pin or the hinge itself? Those pins are a real mutha $^*^^@ to get out. I've done a few and hate the job.

IMHO it's not going to be cheap. It might not be too bad to expensive but it's not going to be cheap to fix it correctly. Good luck.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Try a body shop first may be able to help you for less. The post may have twisted a little. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bent door hinge. Order new set at your local Ford dealer.

NJ6PACK
Explorer
Explorer
Let me clarify. .....it's my tow vehicle I'm talking about ....1999 Ford Econoline E350 Super Duty Passenger Van

I just got to work and we have a Ford 2002 E250 van and there is no play in the door. ...definitely feels more solid than my door.

Not happy happy about this. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2007 Max Lite ML28 RS
6.8L V10 / 3.73 Gears

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Might have to take it to a RV body shop like camping world ect.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours