cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buyer's remorse??

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm totally new to this site and RVING. Hubby is in the Navy and got orders to Virginia...we decided to take advantage of living on the other side of the country by traveling to all the neat places we've heard about. So buying a TT seemed like a no-brainer. We looked at everything from Class C to fifth wheel to ultralights. We decided to get a light TT so we didn't have to upgrade our vehicle. We have a 1500 suburban with a tow package that can pull 8100 pounds.

So after a year of looking we were in between the Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR or 34BHPR The bunk house and outdoor kitchen were requirements and both have them. So after a lot of thinking we picked the 34BHPR because it has more interior storage and we liked the kitchen layout with the island. (This was a really hard choice because the other model has an exterior door to the bathroom and it's 500 pounds lighter because it only has 2 slides we thought that was great too.) So, we put our down payment down and we are waiting for them to do the do the walk through with us next week when we take it home.

Now I'm waking up at night worried we picked the wrong one because of the island. I hadn't seen the inside with the slides pulled in until the day we bought it. When the slides are in you can't get to anything because the slides pull right up to the island and you would have to climb over it to get to the bunk house. And getting to anything in the kitchen or storage under the table isn't possible with slides in. So you can only get to the bathroom and master bedroom with slides in.

Is this going to be a big deal??? We are in Virginia and are planning on going all the way up to Maine and down to the Florida Keys. I'm scared I'll hate that I can't get to our stuff on long hauls. We usually pack a road trip cooler in the car when we travel so hubby doesn't think we'll need anything from the trailer when we're on the road. But I don't know since we're new to this. Please give me advice. I can still change my mind and buy the 31BHPR that doesn't have an island...the dealer will be mad...but we haven't signed on the dotted line yet. Thanks in advance for your help!
163 REPLIES 163

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so confused I just want to go buy a dually!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have not read all 8 pages, but an important number is on the tire loading door sticker. It should read do not exceed xxxx lbs, which includes all weight in the truck, and any hitch/tongue wt also.

If you subtract that number from the GVWR 7,200, it is the wt of the Burb when it left the factory. The not to exceed number is your available payload.

If you loaded the truck with everyone/everything in it to go camping, and weighed it on a scale, you would know what was left for hitch and trailer tongue wt by subtracting the scaled wt from the 7,200 GVWR.

Hope this helps understand payload.

Jerry

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
It would really help you to put the family & pets in the Burb with a full gas tank and go to a scale. You may find them at waste disposal stations or truck stops. You will also need the GCVWR which is the maximum combined weight the SUV & trailer can weigh when hitched. It is often less than you might think and will definitely make your 8100 lbs a myth. For some possibilities to look at as you find those numbers, you might look at Spree, Jay Feather or Lance for some idea of what you may end up needing to consider to stay within your limits. Personally, I want access to the bathroom on the road without putting out a slide. Your exterior length on the road should be 25' or so for best handling. I would also suggest looking at used as you explore the lifestyle. Our family with 3 kids had a 17' (probably really 19') and added tents as needed. Your tastes will change in time. Have fun in your search!

navydivercamper
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. Herimpression's hubby here finally. So I have the specs from the plate on the door of the Suburban. I would post the picture but I just got on the forum tonight and don't know how yet.
The GVWR is listed at 7200 pounds. GAWR Front 3500 pounds, GAWR RR 4200 pounds. The tow capacity is 8100 pounds with the cooling package and everything is telling me my suburban is pretty much a nice, tricked out 1/2 ton vehicle. I'm definitely onboard that this is WAY more camper than we can handle so I'm all ears to whatever you guys have to say.

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just overwhelmed with all the kind advice! My husband is home and about to jump on the thread to talk about our car. Thank you to every single person that took the time to comment!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Great thread for showing the spirit of the forum! Glad you got good help and thank you for your service!

I believe that with children, you will want access to the bathroom and fridge with slides in. We appreciate it all the time.

Although avoiding upgraditus is smart, buying the largest trailer is not the only way to avoid that. If you get the right mix of layout and amenities for YOUR family, it can happen in a shorter trailer.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 31 bhpr and love it. We pulled it with a F150 and it did fine. The F150 could tow 8600 and had a payload of 1700. It was close but did a fine job. Your trailer is 8800 and tow vehicle tows 8100 so I do not think I would do it.

As for your trailer, I have seen it and it is very nice but for us, we do all our cooking at the outside kitchen so the island is not a big deal to us. Also, the space under the awning is too valuable to us to lose any to a slide.

In the 31, you can get the the bathroom and bunkhouse through one door and everything else through the main door. Good luck.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are so glad you are taking the steps to find a trailer that you can safely tow! We are trying to save you from our mistakes. ๐Ÿ™‚

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Bullet Premier with an island that has 2 slides that bump up against the island. I don't have an issue with it because our fridge is across from the main entrance. You can also access the bedroom, pantry and the bathroom while slides are in. I can't get to the back, but I really have no need to get back there while traveling. If I do need to get back there, I jsut put the slide out...no big deal.

I would be concerned about the weight of the trailer as well. Our is a 30' and we have a Tahoe which can pull a little more than the Suburban according to the tow weight. The issue we run into is payload. Luckily we put nothing in the truck except fuel, 2 adults and 3 dogs. We're right up against our weight limits, but not over. With a 34' trailer compared to our 30' I would think you would end up over, especially if the total weight of people/things in the truck is over 600-700lbs.

I've been eyeing up a Suburban 2500 to upgrade and hav eplenty of cushion, but the amount of use and the benefit isn't there for me right now. I'd love to find a 2500 level pickup that had enough room for 3 dogs in the crew cab, but that hasn't happened yet.

With the trip you have coming up, I think you'd be happier with a larger tow vehicle. I've driven back and forth to MD from FL and the trip is fine, but a little bumpier feeling than I'd like. I know I'd feel more comfortable with a larger tow vehicle.

You'll be right around 1000lb tongue weight which is the highest amount your hitch rating will allow, which will leave you with about 700lbs of payload.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
Another issue to consider when you do decide to make your trailer purchase is the weight distribution hitch itself. This is also a very important safety feature. They are not all created equal. If the dealer is throwing it in with the purchase, chances are its going to be the cheapest one they carry. Do some research or come back to this forum and ask the folks on here for advice. Some have sway control built in and some don't. But definitely get the best one you can get and know how to set it up properly. Proper hitch set-up is very important as to how the trailer "behaves" behind the TV.
But definitely browse through the other topics on this site and you'll find a wealth of information on everything from places to go to what to fix for dinner. Good luck and keep us posted, I'm curious as what you ultimately end up deciding to do.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

cyberiankhatru
Explorer
Explorer
We almost pulled the trigger on a very similar trailer just this past weekend. I always like to wait 48 hours to cool off before committing and I'm glad I did. Excitement gave way to reality and I realized that by the numbers, our Expedition would in fact tow the camper even though I would be over on payload, making my truck over-work and be overloaded which is a safety issue that I'm not willing to bet my life or my familys life on. Conditions can change rapidly from beautiful to windy rainy weather. Can an over-loaded rig handle evasive maneuvers in bad conditions? My family is my world. I cancelled the order.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
....snip....

and just my opinion slides look pretty but there a pain in the butt. there in they closed and leak when open.

I sat in this trailer during the week of storms that flooded the Big Thompson Canyon a couple years ago in September. It rained over 12 inches in about 5 days. This slide did not leak. Nor has it leaked in any of the other storms I have camped in for the last four plus years.

Not all campers with slides leak.
And having the slide "open" makes this floorplan so much more open.....it's a huge "plus".

Just another point of view....

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
CampingN.C. wrote:
Mont G&J wrote:

It also comes from many of us making the same mistakes over the years and trying to prevent others from doing the same.

My experience came when our 1995 Chevy 1500 Suburban transmission died when we purchased our 18 foot Dutchmen Sport (Lite!). Replaced the transmission with a new (rebuilt), but it never had the "power" to tow right. It was awful, and the new transmission killed us financially for a while.

We ended up trading for our first 3500 Chevy Silverado Duly (gasser). And never looked back. Stuck with the bigger trucks ever since....

Yes! We've learned from experience! (the hard way!) ... far too many of us!

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Mont G&J wrote:
These recommendations and suggestions come from some of the most knowledgeable individuals in RV Trailers and towing that youโ€™re ever going to find. This knowledge only comes from years of hands-on experience, reading and watching what others do, and having a general interest in safe RVing. (Us)
(Them) RV dealerships hire sales people; it would be a rare occurrence for one of these sales people to have ever owned a trailer or even pulled one farther than the fairgrounds for an RV open house. Some of the specifications they quote may be true, but do not work well in the real world of towing. Also, in my opinion the same would apply when requesting information from a vehicle manufacture. They have a whole room full of $10 an hour workers answering phones with a frequently asked question cheat sheet they refer too. The chances of talking to a real engineer or anyone with actual technical knowledge are zero.

It also comes from many of us making the same mistakes over the years and trying to prevent others from doing the same.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Swell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the 34BHPR spec sheet
Empty weight is 7079 pounds
carrying capacity 1721 pounds
total 8800 pounds

Hitch Weight 845 pounds

Might want to rethink this trailer.