cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buyer's remorse??

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm totally new to this site and RVING. Hubby is in the Navy and got orders to Virginia...we decided to take advantage of living on the other side of the country by traveling to all the neat places we've heard about. So buying a TT seemed like a no-brainer. We looked at everything from Class C to fifth wheel to ultralights. We decided to get a light TT so we didn't have to upgrade our vehicle. We have a 1500 suburban with a tow package that can pull 8100 pounds.

So after a year of looking we were in between the Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR or 34BHPR The bunk house and outdoor kitchen were requirements and both have them. So after a lot of thinking we picked the 34BHPR because it has more interior storage and we liked the kitchen layout with the island. (This was a really hard choice because the other model has an exterior door to the bathroom and it's 500 pounds lighter because it only has 2 slides we thought that was great too.) So, we put our down payment down and we are waiting for them to do the do the walk through with us next week when we take it home.

Now I'm waking up at night worried we picked the wrong one because of the island. I hadn't seen the inside with the slides pulled in until the day we bought it. When the slides are in you can't get to anything because the slides pull right up to the island and you would have to climb over it to get to the bunk house. And getting to anything in the kitchen or storage under the table isn't possible with slides in. So you can only get to the bathroom and master bedroom with slides in.

Is this going to be a big deal??? We are in Virginia and are planning on going all the way up to Maine and down to the Florida Keys. I'm scared I'll hate that I can't get to our stuff on long hauls. We usually pack a road trip cooler in the car when we travel so hubby doesn't think we'll need anything from the trailer when we're on the road. But I don't know since we're new to this. Please give me advice. I can still change my mind and buy the 31BHPR that doesn't have an island...the dealer will be mad...but we haven't signed on the dotted line yet. Thanks in advance for your help!
163 REPLIES 163

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
For the trailer in question, any of the 2500/3500, 250/350 trucks will do it. Gas motors will be fine at that weight, just make sure the axle ratio is correct for the proper gcwr for the truck and trailer combo, which is what the max the truck and trailer should weigh as spec'd by the truck manufacture.

IF you decide to buy a new truck, and decide diesel is the way to go, try to find a 3500/350 SRW if possible. It will give a little more payload over the 2500/250 diesels. That way if you decide to step up to a 5ver in the future with the current truck, you probably will be ok pending the size of the 5ver. Most diesel 2500/250's run out of payload when towing a 5ver unless it is fairly small.

Keep us posted!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do agree with getting what you want now instead of starting at a smaller trailer, which will feel very small the first time you're stuck inside when it rains. But it takes a big learning curve to tow a large trailer, this includes getting it set up properly to tow and learning how the effects of winds and being passed by semis feel. This is where starting smaller comes in. You don't need a duallly, but a 3/4-1 ton will be required for the trailer in the original post. Yes a 5th wheel does tow differently than a TT and by it's hitch design lacks the input on the truck a TT does which is what makes them so stable while towing. A proper hitch with a TT will make towing a large TT comfortable. I'm using a Reese Dual Cam and it is set up perfect. This took many trips of hundreds and hundreds of miles to dial in!

So take a step back, do a lot of reading on trucks and different types of trailers to get an idea of what you're going to like!

Good luck on your decision! In the end you will be very happy.

But with a family of 4 or possibly 5 (yes your wife told us a lot! :B) and 3 dogs, a small trailer will get old fast!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I alway advise, RENT what you think you want. It answers a lot of questions and points out a lot of problems.

In the end you know what your are getting.

We rented the TT floor plan and size we thought we wanted and after 10 days of travel in the Ozarks, realized it was not the floor plan we wanted.

When we did buy we knew a lot of what to expect. It goes a long way to reducing buyers remorse. Floorplan, Tow Vehicle and Cost all have to be right; before you buy.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Added more info about my truck
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you and big heart hugs to everyone that prevented us getting into a big wreck! This feedback was awesome. Consider our trailer purchase canceled!

navydivercamper
Explorer
Explorer
Man this is a lot of info. Almost looks like we might have to go back to the drawing board and start over.

ams1130
Explorer
Explorer
Great contributions, folks. One of the few threads I have read every page. Lots of info for all of us.
Ford F150
2014 KZ Sportsmen S242SBH

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
In most cases a HD truck, towing a FW, will IMO be a better towing experience.

Jerry

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
So if we keep our SUV and get a small camper for now when we upgrade to a bigger camper...but don't want to be dragged all over the road...is getting a fifth wheel the answer?

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
My Dodge Ram 2014 2500 6.4l has 3029 lbs of payload. It is an slt model Should do fine with that trailer.
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Herimpression wrote:
...if we did buy a new vehicle for a trailer this size, what would makes/models would we be looking at??

A 2500 to 3500 diesel powered pick up with 3773 to 410 axle ratio. With all due respect, get a 23 to 26 foot trailer that you will be much more comfortable towing.

A trailer the size you were considering will catch a lot of wind, especially when being passed by tractor trailers, and you will be jerked all over the road.It will be a very big tail wagging a smaller dog.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Herimpression wrote:
I'm so confused I just want to go buy a dually!

Easy example. If your vehicle weighed 6,000 lbs on the scale ready to camp, and your GVWR is 7,200, you would have 1,200 lbs. left for hitch and tongue wt.

OR...get the dually,problem solved!!:B

Jerry

Crambo
Explorer
Explorer
If you're wanting a trailer at this weight any of the 3/4 tons will do fine even with a gas motor. The only bad thing about the gas motors is that they will suck gas.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Internet search says the curb weight of your vehicle is from 5269 to 6074 lbs. Not knowing the actual weight (weighing it as previously suggested is wise), lets assume it weighs the maximum of 6074 lbs. Gross vehicle weight rating is 7,200 lbs. minus the curb weight of 6074 lbs. that leaves a payload of 1126 lbs. before you add fuel, passengers, and gear. Your vehicle has a 31 gallon gas tank times 6 lbs per gallon equals 186 lbs. now leaving available payload of 940 lbs. Two adults weigh about 300 lbs. now leaving available payload of 640 lbs. Kids and dog probably weigh about 200 lbs. now leaving available payload of 440 lbs. Another 100 lbs. for coolers, and other gear in the vehicle now leaves available payload of 340 lbs. The tongue weight of that trailer will overload your vehicle.

A 23 foot to 26 foot trailer will be a much better choice, will be more comfortable to tow, and will fit into many, many more campsites.

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
...if we did buy a new vehicle for a trailer this size, what would makes/models would we be looking at??