cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cab over struts not made for MegaCabs

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
I sent an email to Lance about getting a set of cab over struts. After three emails of me trying to get more info I was finally told that there vendor doesn't make them for Dodge Mega Cab but with no explaination.
I'm assuming the TC cab is shorter then the truck cab so they won't work...

Anyone have any solutions? Does anyone know the vendor or a dealer that can help?
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.
9 REPLIES 9

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped at Lance on the way out of town on our last trip, (about 8 blocks out of the way) and was told they don't make them for our Quad Cab 2003 Dodge, it seems the truck cab is so long, the camper struts wouldn't work because of the angle between the camper and the truck cowling
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Beta_rider
Explorer
Explorer
I have struts on my Ram 1500 with Lance 825 and they work great! It made a huge difference in the ride. Pretty much eliminated any porpoising. I also put on Bilstein shocks. The struts work so good that I don't think I would buy another brand camper because they are not set up they say for struts. The struts do not support anything. They just damp the front to back jiggling .

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
AFAIK the only manufacturer that makes cabover struts is Lance.
I suspect they don't make them, mostly because they haven't had any call for them. You don't see many Megacabs to begin with, let along Megacabs hauling TCs, let alone Megacabs hauling LANCE TCs, let alone Megacabs hauling Lance TCs large enough for cabover struts. IIRC, Dodge/RAM does not recommend hauling a slide-in TC with a Megacab. On top of that you don't see many cabover struts either.

Lance doesn't manufacturer them, they just sell them. I couldn't get an answer from them as to why they don't have a setup for my truck.

The new RAM is recommended to haul slide in campers. I'm just a little over the recommended weight.

My issue is porpoising. Its not bad but annoying.

Is it possible that when adding water to my holding tank that the ride is better?

I'm also going to look into shocks (Rancho 7000) and maybe some front Timbrens to stop the front from bouncing.
Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

R2D1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you could try some front Timbrens? SheriffDoug comments on them here.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
AFAIK the only manufacturer that makes cabover struts is Lance.

Since they don't make them for the Dodge Megacab, you're out of luck.

I suspect they don't make them, mostly because they haven't had any call for them. You don't see many Megacabs to begin with, let along Megacabs hauling TCs, let alone Megacabs hauling LANCE TCs, let alone Megacabs hauling Lance TCs large enough for cabover struts. IIRC, Dodge/RAM does not recommend hauling a slide-in TC with a Megacab. On top of that you don't see many cabover struts either.

From a technical standpoint, a Megacab is longer, a LOT longer than even a normal crew cab. It may not be possible to get a good angle to properly support the camper. The angle may be too flat due to the distance, so the struts won't do any good and may actually do more harm than good.

What specific problem are you trying to address? Or, do you just think you "need" them?

Maybe there is another way to address your issue, rather than drilling holes in your nice truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
I am carrying a Northern Lite 811 on a 2006 3500 Mega Cab. I am not having any difficulties with bouncing. The ride is extremely smooth.
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
I sold mine on EBAY. AS_IS used. I got tired of the rust streaks and paint coming off of the mounts on the truck. Then they started to feel a bit worn out and since mine were the older style "crimped ends" they could not be serviced. I bought mine from a dealer and they were used when I got them.
I would not bye new ones WAY TOO MUCH MONEY for the little bit of reuslts one may see. I often felt that it was more mental results than anything.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Here was a video that Truck Camper Magazine did on them. Looks like they make the ride a little more comfortable.

Video
Pete
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Those are old, outdated things of the past. The design and stress loads of today's TC's aren't meant to, or need to, have those.

Just ponder this - when was the last time you saw them on a modern TC?
and...
When was the last time you heard of some sort of TC structural failure that those could have prevented?

I personally think with all the flexing and twisting of the truck they would cause more problems than they solve. Especially mine....
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo