cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

calling all ford owners

lucasland
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only interested in a ford. Please tell me what model/ year ford truck you use to haul your truck camper.

I'm looking at this used 2003 f350 dually, but i'm concerned with many negative reviews I've read about the 6.0L Diesel engine
"Tell all your friends about me, especially the pretty ones" - Ed
56 REPLIES 56

Rettrooper
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
A 2006 F-350 4X4 dually 6.0 liter completely stock current owner. I have NOT read this entire thread as it's getting pretty long on the tooth. I will say we are happy with our truck, currently 126,000 miles on it. I do my own regular maintenance on it changing synthetic oils and filter regularly. Last year, we were hauling our Eaglecap 1160 and heading from NH to AZ when the check engine light came on while in CT. I monitor engine oil and water temps with a scan gauge. When the light came on I checked the code being displayed and it indicated that our turbo was in an under boost situation. I noticed nothing unusual with engine performance or anything else. So we continued into NJ when the the truck went into Limp mode reducing engine output. It was on a Sunday and we started looking for a reliable FORD diesel dealership. We limped to a dealership and they took us in the following morning. They're engine code scan tool revealed and over/under boost on turbo and we'd lost #7 injector. Replaced both at $4K and we were on our way. Never had a problem before. Has been a great truck. Do your research, if you find a used one, get the VIN and do a "OASIS Report" search for warranty work done on it. This will give you a heads up on potential problems on the truck and decide whether or not to walk away from it. My advise is to keep the truck stock (no chip or Edge) and do regular fluid changes. Monitor your engine oil/water temps. Coolant filter is a good idea as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. We have enjoyed ours and would recommend it as long as your not trying to hop it up in the horsepower realm.
2013 Eagle Cap 1160
2006 Ford F-350 SD CC Diesel

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
Pulling the cab is only an issue for the non professionals. It's actually faster to remove it than other designs that work around not having the cab off.

Easily done by experts in less than an hour. Go look at YouTube if you don't believe it.

Actually SOP for the F150 Econo Boost engine as well (for timing chain replacement)

Don't need to look at a video, I see it happen all the time.

What I'm referring to is the OBS style with no reason to pull the cab as the motor is out front, like a conventional is supposed to be.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did like my old 7.3l for reliability as well, but even engine was bulletproof, I had lot of other issues with it and in 1 season it was like "what will pop this time?" when turning the key.
Sensors, clamps, oil cooler orings, fuel drain valve.
I spend >12 hr in my new truck yesterday, while pulling cargo trailer. Long day, but hearing the radio instead of roaring engine sure made it much less tiring.
Much less jumping helps in enjoying the drive as well.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pulling the cab is only an issue for the non professionals. It's actually faster to remove it than other designs that work around not having the cab off.

Easily done by experts in less than an hour. Go look at YouTube if you don't believe it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing about the OBS trucks, the cab can stay on for head work... The engine is out front where it belongs, not under the cowl where it don't.

It is possible to get that rear head bolt out without pulling the cab. Use a 5 pound sledge on the firewall.

Great design.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was fortunate in a way. When I bought my 7.3, my BIL was a director at Ford SVO in Dearborn (he's since advanced a bit) and he 'borrowed' my new truck for a month. It spent a month in Dearborn and I didn't ask what it was doing but it accumulated 1000 miles in a month.

When I got it back it came with a bunch of goodies installed. Limited slip axles front and rear (Detroit Tru-Trak in the back, ARB Air Locker in the front), full Banks kit with full delete exhaust, B&M prototype deep sump trans pan, complete transmission rebuild with heavy duty internals and 2 huge Hayden transmission coolers..and appropriate gauges too. No charge. I never look a gift horse in the mouth..... Were a bit hard on the tires but what the heck, tires are expendable.

I agree, with any diesel, especially one with increased fuel delivery like mine, EGT and transmission temp monitoring is paramount. I can pull upwards of 30 pounds of boost if I work it hard but I always watch exhaust temps and transmission temps.

I very seldom get on it. I know it's there but why abuse it. Hauls my camper around just fine. Gets good mileage too.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Steelhog
Explorer
Explorer
It really depends on whether you or the previous owner spent the extra dollars to bullet proof the 6.0. For four and a half years my 2004 6.0 was a hauling beast and loved it. Then kaboom the turbo got toated when the coked up EGR valve dumped **** into the turbo. $6,000 in repairs under warranty. 13 months later same thing and driven per Ford's recommendations. Fixed it, sold and bought a 2002 7.3. DW just didn't trust it and the $3,000 to do the EGR delete, ARP head studs etc.(you have to lift the cab off the chassis and that wasn't going to happen.) Yup the 7.3 is noisier, not as peppy and the transmission not as smooth but 90K later it hasn't missed a beat. With the right mods the 6.0 can be made dependable if you don't have a smog check state but who knows what has happened in the past. Now I just take my time, watch the EGT's and trans temp and know I'll get there. Whatever PSD you look at get a good gauge setup. Temperature is the enemy.

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 6.7s have been out long enough that the major show-stopping bugs are out of them. I prefer the 7.3 because it is simpler, and has less EPA-mandated stuff that will break or result in a no-start condition, but the 6.7 isn't a slouch.

Call me weird. If I had to go for an engine for a recently made Ford SD truck, I would go with the V-10 gasser. Just because that engine is so relatively hard to kill, and works well for tasks that don't need a diesel. Plus, you don't have to wait for the cellphone yappers to put their device away, stop eating lunch and scoot their Prius out of the way at the edge pumps (the only ones with diesel) at the gas stations.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
You can read all about the Ford Diesels on this site:

Many videos, tear downs, modifications , he knows the real story on these engines.

Ford Diesel Knowledge
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was driving 7.3l to my customer living in small court - he was already waiting for me on his driveway as he could hear me 3 streets away.
When I drove 6l, the same customer would hear me backing up on his driveway.
I bought 6.7l when I retire, so no more experience with customers, but in those rare moments when I can hear the engine - it reminds me old VW with 4-banger.
Sure I don't sound macho, but that is fine with me.

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
gotta add my two cents -- really reiterating what has already been said....

The 6.0 PSD is a beast! When she's running as designed you just can't beat the performance and torque. That being said she demands lots of preventative mx (think $$) to ensure she's capable to perform. I can run my 6.0 with my AF990 fully loaded wide open in the hot desert heat. But I also know based on my exhaust temp when to back off too.

Some keys to ensuring longevity if you're using it primarily loaded up with a camper and even hauling is:
1) Engine monitoring is an absolute must. You have got to have eyes on your engine oil temp and coolant temp as it tells the health of you oil cooler. I monitor fuel pressure, EGT, and many other variables which will just make this post loooong. Get a DashBoss and you can read it all on your iPad as you cruise down the road.
2) Add a fuel additive every fuel up โ€“ I use opti-lube
3) Change your oil at 3-5K (I base it how hard I've been running it) to prevent oil viscosity sheer and breakdown. I use a synthetic (do your own research) others use dino oil. The key is to change it if you're working it.
4) Add an engine additive to prevent injector stiction.
5) Next, flush all the Ford Gold silicate coolant out. After its been flushed and cleaned add an ELC Coolant (most will last a good five years of 300K miles)
6) And then add a coolant filter. At first change that out at 500 miles. Up the frequency after you start seeing less and lees filter contamination (yep, cut off the top of the filter and inspect the accordion paper).
Mine is all stock but trust me itโ€™s fine for what I use it for โ€“ camping and hauling. Iโ€™m always keeping track of engine health to ensure the EGR is still operating (I have to get SMOGed every year). Do your research and youโ€™ll have a phenomenal platform able to tackle any obstacle.
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
macdale4 wrote:
I had a 2000 7.3 and it was the best. I wish I wouldn't have totaled it out. I had a 2011 6.7 and had nothing but trouble with it, but I bought it used and now know why the guy got rid of it. I have a new 6.7 but don't have enough miles on it to judge. But if you want quiet, power, speed in a diesel then the 6.7 is pretty awesome.

If it don't rattle (combustion noise), it's not a diesel. My 7.3 bangs and clangs when it's cold and settles down to a nice rattle when it's warm. Music to my hillbilly ears. So is the black smoke when I stomp on the fuel pedal.

Mine isn't quick but you'll need to turn on your headlights if you are behind me.....

Actually that is a lie because it is quick, it's a tire roaster but it's been 'tweaked' a bit.

7.3's are like NTC 855 Cummins, all it takes to fix one is a hammer and vice grips.
2015 Backpack SS1500

macdale4
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2000 7.3 and it was the best. I wish I wouldn't have totaled it out. I had a 2011 6.7 and had nothing but trouble with it, but I bought it used and now know why the guy got rid of it. I have a new 6.7 but don't have enough miles on it to judge. But if you want quiet, power, speed in a diesel then the 6.7 is pretty awesome.
Dale & Eileen
1998 Lance 945 Legend
2011 Ford F-350, dually, 4 X 4

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
When you can bulletproof EGR cooler pretty easy, replace oil cooler every couple of years with a day of work, the head job exceeds truck value.

No doubt it exceeded your trucks value at $4000, but not mine when I traded mine in and not a lot of them.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member