cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper basically chopped in half by tree

PSD_w__Lance_84
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch, and they were in the cabover when this happened. Hope this isn't anyone here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D443ODkegtc&list=WL&index=14
18 REPLIES 18

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
During slight winds or benign blustery weather it is a good time to inspect your trees. You have a hazardous tree is if you see the ground moving with the tree. Means the tree won't stand for long in a stronger wind storm and is loosing anchor to the ground. The bit about too much moisture means when the grond is so saturated it becomes loose ground.

A good tree will bend with the wind and not be moving the ground, has deeper root system.

A tree that is top heavy, grown too rangey as they call it, can break at the main trunk and fall as in an ice storm that builds up too much weight. So if you see a tree with too much bending swinging with a lot of upper story it's time to remove that one also.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tons wrote:
mbloof wrote:
Love it! The news station called it a "trailer"!! hahahahahaha

Kinda like everything else they present to be a fact - lolโ€ฆMay the once reputable art of Journalism now R.I.P.

3 tons

Journalism can still be found. But when a network is established on the principle "Profit is more important than truth" and can become the major source of information for a large percentage of population can we really complain when minor details are wrong in the rush to be out with a story.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:

Kinda like everything else they present to be a fact - lolโ€ฆMay the once reputable art of Journalism now R.I.P.

3 tons

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I have been in a campground several times and had to leave out because of it flooding. Often at a depth of 10-20 feet above the camp lot. They have a good monitoring and warning system in place.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
From the ( my past) campowners perspective, case law and acts of God are to be considered. The act of God argument prevails when the guest chose the site, case law gets involved when it can be demonstrated that the property operator did not address a possible natural hazard.
The question facing operators is what is a possible hazard?
A root exposed by last weeks rainstorm, could be a tripping hazard, or could it be more, a weakening of the root system that may cause the tree to fall.
Case law supports the landowner.
Noone can call in an expert engineer or silviculturalist to determine if and when a tree may fall, or which way.

In the broad opinion of the law, as I ve seen it applied to our interest, It also applies to that same. interest for freedom and choice of lodging or location .

The guest chose the site, the weather was unknown, the risks accepted.
given these factors, the camp responsibity is moot,

You sound like the life of the partyโ€ฆand a walking talking lawsuit waiting to happen!
How did your brain go from โ€œWow hope theyโ€™re okโ€ , immediately to โ€œhow can this be my familyโ€™s responsibility who โ€œownโ€ that tree?
Thatโ€™s just sadโ€ฆ.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer

Killingsworth
Explorer
Explorer
Well ... the moral of the story is to have each and every tree inspected by "Morgan tree service" and only Morgan tree service

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm glad they are ok.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
From the ( my past) campowners perspective, case law and acts of God are to be considered. The act of God argument prevails when the guest chose the site, case law gets involved when it can be demonstrated that the property operator did not address a possible natural hazard.
The question facing operators is what is a possible hazard?
A root exposed by last weeks rainstorm, could be a tripping hazard, or could it be more, a weakening of the root system that may cause the tree to fall.
Case law supports the landowner.
Noone can call in an expert engineer or silviculturalist to determine if and when a tree may fall, or which way.

In the broad opinion of the law, as I ve seen it applied to our interest, It also applies to that same. interest for freedom and choice of lodging or location .

The guest chose the site, the weather was unknown, the risks accepted.
given these factors, the camp responsibity is moot,

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lucky campers.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if the truck frame may be bent too.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
And because of Mother Natures disregard for man and his plans we have insurance companies.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

thedavidzoo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several years ago we were at a CG in PA and set up at the edge of a tall forest. A family with several small girls pitched their tent in the spot next to us. Rain was forecast and they decided to pack up. The next morning we saw a huge branch had crashed down on their exact tent spot. It would have done serious damage. We couldn't believe how lucky they were...
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Was at a campground in Colorado a number of years ago when high winds were forecast. One part of the campground had very large spruce trees and the campers in that area were told to move to another area. And fortunately so. Numerous trees were blown down where RVs had been an hour before. Only casualty was a brand new Ram dually parked near the restaurant. Tree crushed the entire cab level with the bed. Luckily the owners were in the restaurant at the time.