cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper Jack Repairs and Sealing.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I repaired my front left TC jack. I noticed the corner had a little movement in it when the jack was lifting the camper. I took the corner bracket off and inspected the wood beneath. There was a very small amount of wood decay on the plywood but not a big deal. My S&S has a 2x3 running the length of both sides of the camper with the TC tie down eyes being attached to that. Similar to how I repaired the right side last year. I got a 2" x 16" Simpson flat metal connector that had a 90 degree bend with a 6" length to it. I cleaned out the area and used QUAD to adhere and seal the connector to the TC running along the bottom back to the tie down and up the front corner edge. I used a bottle jack and clamps to press tight and hold in position the connector so I could drill and bolt it to the TC. I also installed 2 and 2-1/2" x 5/16 SS lags instead of reusing the rusted galvanized 2" x 1/4" lags that were there. I also repaired the worn holes by injecting Gorilla expanding glue then driving a 2" x 1/4" wood dowel into the holes to restore the wood. The Gorilla glue will expand into cracked and voided areas of the wood sealing and strengthening it. The new SS lags hold perfectly and strong. I also installed a second Simpson 90 degree flat 6"x6"x1-1/2"angle bracket inside the propane compartment. The propane box is against and stapled to the framing of the TC. I also installed two 5"x3/8" bolts From the front bracket through the framing and connect the framing together with that and 2 more bolts through the same bracket down through the propane box, the plywood, and the 2"x3" . I might post a picture later if I get to it. I also re-caulked the dinette window and did some re-sealing on the right rear jack. I also installed another bolt to better support my slide out deck. It is raining hard in Seattle tonight or was earlier so I will inspect the fruits of my labor tomorrow.

This is the metal connector I used to reinforce the bottom of the TC for when the jack lifts the TC.

This is the diamond plate aluminum sheet I used to reinforce the side wall connections of the jack to the TC. It was a left over pice from the repair to the right side TC jack. Same type of situation.

This is the front side of the corner jack mount bracket. All new large 5/16"x2-1/2" SS Lag Screws. The two bolts in the lower half centerline are galvanized 5"x3/8" through bolts going through to the propane compartment and connecting to another flat Simpson connector to strengthen the corner.

This is a view of the underside connections showing the bolts, still to be cut off, and other lag screws.

This is the connector inside the propane compartment. There is solid framing completely between the inside and outside connector metal.

This is the right rear jack that needed to be re-caulked around the bottom. I also replaced the existing 2"x1/4" galvanized lags with the new larger 2" and 2-1/2"x5/16" SS Lags. The upper bolt is a galvanized 3/8" through bolt going through a connector inside the rear right compartment similar to the installation in the propane compartment.

This is my rear slide out deck that needs the extra support the rear bracket connector provides for.

The deck holder bolted up to the bottom of the TC caused some gaping to appear at the bottom of the corner of the TC creating an entry point for water.

Here you can see the inside connector and the bolts that hold up the sliding deck mount.

This is another view of the slide out deck on our TC. A very handy, well used item. Checked everything this noon and there is no evidence of water intrusion. The TC jacks are rock solid now and the deck has no motion at the connection point in the corner so hopefully no more water intrusion.

This is a prior repair to the left side corner and jack. I also installed an aluminum 1-1/2"x1-1/2"x3'~ angle as a gutter rail above the compartment door to improve directing water away from the area. No sign of water intrusion since installation.

The bottom bolt of the left rear corner aluminum jack reinforcement angle metal is the solid hold point on the left side of the slide out deck mount. The deck is now rock solid on both sides.

I also cleaned and re-caulked with white QUAD, the white metal trim piece that goes across the bottom of the back camper wall.
Everything was dry after heavy rains last night so the work has already been tested and passed. Got a few more little projects to do but we're ready to go camping.
0 REPLIES 0