cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper to Trailer Distance

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all- I want to tow a 20' car hauler behind my Wolf Creek 840 on my 1-ton DWR. The hitch I have now puts the ball right at the edge of the camper's bumper, and all weights and capacities are well within spec. So, my question is: is there a general rule of thumb for the distance from the corner of the camper to the trailer? It's the jacks that stick out the most. For example, when I pull a string from my ball to the edge of the camper, then move thru the arc toward my trailer, I see that I can turn the truck a little more than 45 degrees before contact. Is this acceptable? Or should I expect full 90 degrees with no contact?
2013 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE Dually Crew Duramax | 2017 Wolf Creek 840 truck camper
15 REPLIES 15

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
toddb wrote:

The trailer has a 6' tongue so no extension is needed. Just have to crawl under to connect.

This looks exactly like my setup. What's the distance between your camper and trailer?

toddb
Explorer
Explorer

The trailer has a 6' tongue so no extension is needed. Just have to crawl under to connect.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
The rule of thumb is once you can't put your thumb between the camper and trailer, you can't turn any sharper!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone share some pics of their TC and car hauler setup?

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, it looks like I need to invest in a Magnum hitch and Super Truss.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
SpeedRacer350 wrote:
is there a general rule of thumb for the distance from the corner of the camper to the trailer? It's the jacks that stick out the most.

Depends on the width of the trailer, and the length of the trailer's A-Frame.
My car hauler has a 50" A-Frame.

My hitch ball is 14.5" from my AF811 bumper.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

If the trailer gets away from you backing up there is nothing you can do, other than pull forward, to keep it from hitting.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Full lock with my truck is 90*...going forward. Backing isn't the only problem. All of the tongues on our trailers were extended. Add this; a 'perfect 90*' with no room to spare, only works on flat ground. Angle up a bit on the truck, and the jack will be a few inches closer all of a sudden. You need room.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
A bumper pull can't get 90* unless the tongue is no wider than twice the distance ball is mounted behind the body of TV. OTOH, no reason to get to 90*. And a longer overhang, rear axle to ball, will cause a short tongue trailer to contact sooner.
When checking in the parking lot, remember it is easier to watch on the left turn, but on the streets, right is more likely to hit.

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
45 degrees is looking for trouble IMHO. I like to set mine up to clear at 90ยฐ, then I never have to think about it.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Many a DP at the drag races has been contacted by the trailer. Thats why many of us order our trailers with a 6ft tongue. If not very aware and careful you will make contact, and it won't take long.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are only hauling open roads and commercial campgrounds, you MAY be able to get away with it but you will need to be careful as you will get to touching quicker than you think. That angle could also become less if the trailer and camper lean into each other when turning tight. While there isn't a set rule, I prefer as close to 90* as possible but I could accept anything that is at least 75*.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Take the set to empty parking and try to make 360 turn, observing the camper corners coming to trailer.

Good point. If it clears with the steering wheels at full lock going forward, I'm happy with that. I'll just have to not get stupid and jammed up in reverse.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do what Kay suggests....carefully. Having a spotter is a best practice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad