cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping with Camper when off Truck

Tom_Orlowski
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a camping trip were I will need to unload, so that I have full use of my truck. How many actually unload so they have use of the truck? If so, are there any special considerations to be aware of? My manufaturer owners manual states not to fill the fresh water tank when unloaded without support of the floor. That will not be a problem. I will have a city water connection. When off my truck at home I do lower and support the camper. This will be a first for me to camp this way. Any thoughts or suggestions. I tried doing a search however I was unable to find any info. Thanks for your thoughts.
Tom & Kathy 2000 Chevrolet 4x4 CC SRW 454 cu.in. 2015 Adventurer 89 RB
34 REPLIES 34

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
Key Largo during spring break. I dropped the camper off and went back to work with the truck. The wife and kids hung out all week ..

Untitled by MooringProduct, on Flickr
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
Old Days:
You are very welcome!
Bob & Cathy (Bigfootgrey)
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

pcoplin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ordered those Stack Jacks also. However, I dislike Walmart, Amazon has them here: Camco Stack Jacks
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

Tom_Orlowski
Explorer
Explorer
I too bought my stands at Walmart. Thankfully they had them at my local store. I was going to use Automotve jack stands. However the Aluminum Stack Jacks are lighter. And also fit in the TC Basement compartment . Having them readily available is a plus in case I decide to unload when not originally planning to.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good luck Scout and Tom!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just want to Thank Bigfootgrey for the photo of his off the truck set up. I just ordered some of the aluminum jack stands from walmart.

Tom_Orlowski
Explorer
Explorer
Having full use of the truck in this case means I will be running my Labrador Retriever in a Hunting Retriever Club field test. The retriever club I belong to is hosting the test. Not only for those in our club . But also those from other clubs from around New England. Being the host club their is a tremendous amount of work prior and during the test for it to be successful. Unfortunately the roads in and around where these take place can be some what of a trick to get around in a truck camper. Not the best invironment for a truck camper at times. With all of the driving around I will need to do it just isn't wise to do so with the camper on the truck. Especially were it will involve muliple days. I did lower the TC near ground level and it is verrrry stable. However I did buy a set of the Stacker Jacks that several have spoken about. I will use those across the front as added stability since the mounting point of the Camper Jack legs are supported that much higher than the rear. All should go very well.Thank you all for your imput.It really helped put my mind at ease knowing now I have a plan on how to proceed. Please wish Scout and I luck as we push towards out Hunting Retriever Champion Title { HRCH }. Thanks Again.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never taken my camper off while out camping.

To the OP, just curious, what does full use of truck while camping include?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer

We camp often with the camper removed from the truck. Aluminum stacker jacks and oak 3x3's provide added support and minimize the wobble. As mentioned, it's best to lower camper as much as possible for best stability.It's nice to have the truck to explore the area with out having to break camp. Enjoy!
Bob & Cathy
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

bighonkinf350
Explorer
Explorer
The problem I have when unloading at a camp site is what to do with all the junk,err I mean necessary items (water jugs,extension cord,lego blocks,BEER) stuff like that that store nicely with camper on the truck without making the site look tackier than I might already be.
'04 F350,6.0 PSD,3.73,5 spd Torqshift,Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,Lund Lunar visor,Firestone Ride Rites,
2016 Nash 23D with Cummins/Onan onboard generator & Sit'n Sleep option

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We also routinely use our TC off the truck. It's why we bought the model that we did. It makes it easier to move the boat back and forth from the lake or sight see or run errands. No need to break camp.

We lower it as low as possible and invested in a set of Torklift wobbl-stopprs. They really make a difference. DH has also started using a set of scissor jacks to help support the floor. We've not had any issues but he feels that it will help maintain the integrity of the floor, especially since we keep our FWT full.

As another poster mentioned, it makes it easier for the dog...me as well, we don't have to climb a mountain of stairs.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
i always unload my camper if staying for more than a day or two. I use a set of these, http://tweetys.com/aluminum-stacker-jacks.aspx with a 2x6 between them and the camper floor. I try to balance the weight between them and the camper jacks. PS. I have electric jacks.

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
when i did the walk through/pdi on my new camper it was sitting on the jacks only and it didn't move at all,and that's with 3 people moving around in it.i even had them jack it up to the stops.i was impressed with how sturdy it is.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Tom_Orlowski
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the advise. Wobble Stoppers would be a great benifit. I too agree. I am not as fond of the Happi Jack stands as well as the Reico brand I had on my last camper.It appears alot of people do like the idea of some sort of support when off the truck. My concern with stability mostly. Thanks for the feed back. I will be going to West Thomptson Lake Campground in Conn. for a Hunting Retriever Hunt Test my club I belong to is putting on nearby. Having use of the truck allows me to move around without tearing up the camper.