cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can we tow 37' TT w/ Ram 2500 Diesel SRW w/ good stability?

olivergi
Explorer
Explorer
We're thinking about buying a 37' TT and pulling it with a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel and single rear wheels. We're concerned about stability pulling that size trailer. All opinions are welcome. Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 37' trailer in my sig and the truck in my sig. I have the BlueOx SwayPro 2000 hitch, and so far so good. Our last trailer was 32' and I towed it with no problems. My trailer has a backup camera, and that helps when backing in this long trailer.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
olivergi wrote:
We're thinking about buying a 37' TT and pulling it with a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel and single rear wheels. We're concerned about stability pulling that size trailer. All opinions are welcome. Thanks.

If quad cab with 8 foot bed you're going to be overall about 67 feet long. With 15% on tongue weight and good towing mirrors...but still going to be a pain to back and make lane changes and If you go 5th wheel watch pin weight. But you got the right machine to do it. My 2500 recently added oversize diff cover and temp gauge, no problems with 4:10 gears with old 47re trans. Added air bags just to feel better.

(Don't worry somebody will be around to say they have towed for 500 years and 500 different trailers that are 500 feet long etc.)

A Ram 2500 CC LB is exactly 21'6" long. A 37' TT is 37' long.
That adds up to 58'6" not 67'.

drew999999
Explorer
Explorer
37' is a long TT, but lengthwise definitely towable with your truck. I have a 37' ultra-light that I tug around with an F150. My weights are about 1000 on the tongue and a little over 7k loaded and ready to go. A long TT will pull a little different as the wind has a lot more leverage on the truck. I did do a few modifications to my truck to get things very comfortable. Given you're pulling with a 3/4 ton, you should be able to dial things in with a good WDH.
2017 Keystone Passport 3350BH Grand Touring
2013 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost

path1
Explorer
Explorer
olivergi wrote:

If quad cab with 8 foot bed you're going to be overall about 67 feet long. With 15% on tongue weight and good towing mirrors...but still going to be a pain to back and make lane changes and If you go 5th wheel watch pin weight. But you got the right machine to do it. My 2500 recently added oversize diff cover and temp gauge, no problems with 4:10 gears with old 47re trans. Added air bags just to feel better.

(Don't worry somebody will be around to say they have towed for 500 years and 500 different trailers that are 500 feet long etc.)
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No doubt 5vers tow better than bumper pulls, but pretty much any TT you can hook up is within the capacities of your truck by a good bit.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Mine is 34' long, 9000# and I believe is close to the limit of how long of a traditional trailer I would ever tow.
I have a Dual Cam #1400 and it's tightened down hard. It tows stable but it's a minor adjustment away from pushing the truck around.

Frankly, unless you have a canopy or some other reason you need the back of the truck (like I do), my suggestion is to go to a fifth wheel.
It WILL be more stable.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would having a Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel with a turbo having anything to do with stability towing a TT? Leather seats can provide....
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad