cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canvas corner fix

ajohn14
Explorer
Explorer
I had a free Saturday today so I did some mods/repairs I been wanting to do. First I installed an accumulator tank to the water system. Wow big improvement. I used the 2 gallon water heater expansion tank. I found one on line for $25 delivered. it took only about a half hour start to finish, and the results are well worth the effort and small expense. Then I decided to do a repair I've wanted to do since I first got my hybrid a couple years ago. The previous owner had a couple of small tears in the lower outer corners, where the tent ends stretch over the corners of the bunk floor. (sorry didn't take pics.) from looking at the design and material used it's understandable why this point would tear. The rest of the canvas is in excellent shape. Even though I knew it wouldn't work, when I first bought the trailer, I tried mending it with awning repair tape. Each time we went camping it bothered me, so I spent a considerable amount of time thinking about how to repair this myself without removing the canvas. What I came up with worked out really well, so I thought I would post here so someone else that may have the same problem can benefit. What I wanted to accomplish was a strong water tight reinforcement. I started by going to Wally world to purchase a plastic storage container with square bottom corners. I found one for $5.87. I took it home and cut one of the bottom corners out of it, I did this with a die grinder and cut off wheel, I trimmed off the melted plastic with some tin snips. I took this rough template to the bunk ends and dry fit it into position. I noted and marked this template with a sharpie. I took it out, re installed trimmed again, etc, etc, until I had the size and shape I needed. I made sure all the edges and corners were rounded so it would not chafe the canvas. I then took my template/reinforcement, and placed it on the remaining 3 corners of my plastic storage container and traced around it with a sharpie. I cut the other 3 reinforcements out of the container. I ended up with 4 identical corner reinforcements. I sanded them on the outside surface to give my contact cement something to adhere to. I then dry fit each corner carefully into the canvas lining them up just where I wanted them. (bunk ends expanded of course.) I then carefully drew around them with a pencil marking on the canvas where the contact cement would need to go, I peeled back all 4 corners of the canvases and carefully painted the the contact cement onto the canvas where marked, as well as on to my plastic reinforcements. After the cement dried, I very carefully starting at one edge making sure the canvas was stretched flat applied the reinforcement to the canvas. once applied I then pulled the canvas into the installed position making sure any wrinkles or problems were taken care of. Let cure and I now have a permanent repair that will never rip in the corners again. Sorry for the long post but I hope that this might help someone else out there.
9 REPLIES 9

ajohn14
Explorer
Explorer
arkantex wrote:
Did you ever take pics of the tent seam repairs? We are in the same boat with ours right now.

Sorry never did I'll have to wait a few more weeks before I start to get her ready for the upcoming season.

arkantex
Explorer
Explorer
Did you ever take pics of the tent seam repairs? We are in the same boat with ours right now.
Me, the wifey, 2 minions (both boys) and a Great Dane named Tiny
2011 f250 Lariat 4 door
2001 KZ sportsman coyote 23c HTT

ajohn14
Explorer
Explorer
The purpose of the tank to have some pressurized water in the system so when flushing the toilet at night or running the water to get a drink the pump does not come on waking others that are sleeping. I just measured and mine ran almost a gallon before the pump came on, almost a minute,

Hoosierdaddy47
Explorer
Explorer
Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the tank?
2004 Antigua 215 SB
2006 Durango Adventurer Hemi
Tekonsha Prodigy P3
DW-Indeterminate age
DD-16
DS-13
Olivia-Torkie
Balthazar-Italian Greyhound
Check my group (NOT page!) on Facebook-Hybrid Travel Trailer Camping

xplodn
Explorer
Explorer
Just scored one at my Sears for $9.63 ๐Ÿ™‚

ajohn14
Explorer
Explorer
xplodn wrote:
What tank did you use?

I used a 2 gallon water heater expansion tank. (Kenmore brand)i just googled it and bought the least expensive one I found. I tee'd into the pex just downstream of the pump. I turned on the pump and found that it ran for only seconds. (indicating that the pressure was too high in the tank) I released pressure from the tanks shrader valve until the pump ran for about 10-15 seconds and then tried the faucet. it ran and ran and ran for quite a while, (pump never came on) I will have to time it to see how long it will run without the pump cycling. but it is a long time, more than enough to flush the toilet several times without running the pump. Which is exactly what I was after. I also re mounted the pump with an extra mouse pad I had underneath the mounting base, it did help quiet the pump noise some as well.

xplodn
Explorer
Explorer
What tank did you use?

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Necessity is the mother of invention; good job.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
pictures would even help more.:B
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes