Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carport

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody use one?
Thinking of the inexpensive steel/corrugated roof structures found all over the inter web.

If so, where do you live?
Wind/snow?
What size did you get?
Other thoughts?

Our ADCO was shredded last winter after 6 years or so of use...I am getting tired of replacing those.

Thx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson
43 REPLIES 43

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just had a carport installed by americansteel.com, based out of Texas but installed by team from New Mexico. Rated to 90 mph. Paid about $7k installed. 42' long, 15' peak height and 18" wide. Our rig is 38' long and has two slide outs

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Guys. I have plenty of room to go wider. I think I will go up to 22' or 24' wide.
$$$
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
Bill, sorry about that, I have a 2016 AF 990 and it measures 11’9” mounted on the truck. No problems loading/unloading.

Thx geoboy.

Do you think 20’ wide would accommodate a TC and Airstream?

Bill

Bill, they will fit but it’s going to be tight. Will a 20’ wide shelter meet your state’s snow load requirements?

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
20' is doable but very restrictive . How comfortable backing in close to side supports or between campers ?
Will the AS door open ? Will the slide open ? Will you be able to close the sides in if you choose ? If you don't have room for wider then these are all moot points . Given the choice go for 22' or even better 24'. That should be about 2 cents worth lol
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
GeoBoy wrote:
Bill, sorry about that, I have a 2016 AF 990 and it measures 11’9” mounted on the truck. No problems loading/unloading.

Thx geoboy.

Do you think 20’ wide would accommodate a TC and Airstream?

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Bedlam
schlep1967 wrote:
srschang wrote:
BarabooBob wrote:
I put up a 20' x 24' Versa Tube structure. I added 2 ft to the height and added side sheeting all the way to the ground. I can keep my TT and sailboat in it without being crowded.
The carport is considered a temporary building by the tax man because it is not on a concrete slab. It also is behind my 28' x 40' stick built garage. In our neighborhood, people don't complain about what the neighbors do, mainly because of the size of the lots and all of the trees. I can barely see my neighbors house.

Here in New York State (not city), anything larger then 120 square feet requires a building permit, be it a shed, carport, foundation, no foundation, on skids, or sitting right on the ground.

You just need to put up a 10 x 12 this year. And another 10 by 12 right next to it next year. And another the next year ... in 8 years tear out some walls and tie everything together with a roof. You'll have a 24' by 40' carport.

I have had similar thoughts about creating my own village...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have looked at them a lot, but haven't pulled the trigger.
Don't forget to have some extra overhead room to jack the camper up.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
srschang wrote:
BarabooBob wrote:
I put up a 20' x 24' Versa Tube structure. I added 2 ft to the height and added side sheeting all the way to the ground. I can keep my TT and sailboat in it without being crowded.
The carport is considered a temporary building by the tax man because it is not on a concrete slab. It also is behind my 28' x 40' stick built garage. In our neighborhood, people don't complain about what the neighbors do, mainly because of the size of the lots and all of the trees. I can barely see my neighbors house.

Here in New York State (not city), anything larger then 120 square feet requires a building permit, be it a shed, carport, foundation, no foundation, on skids, or sitting right on the ground.

You just need to put up a 10 x 12 this year. And another 10 by 12 right next to it next year. And another the next year ... in 8 years tear out some walls and tie everything together with a roof. You'll have a 24' by 40' carport.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
BarabooBob wrote:

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
BarabooBob wrote:

Thanks. The AirStream does not have slides and the TC has small slide. They are each 8' wide. Should be similar in width to your TT and sailboat. a 20' wide shelter would leave me 4' to play with. Sounds tight if you think about working around the sides, etc? Our boat is too big to fit under this type of shelter.

Same here; The carport is considered a temporary building by the tax man because it is not on a concrete slab and "portable". In our neighborhood, people don't complain about what the neighbors do, mainly because of the size of the lots and all of the trees. I can barely see my neighbors house.

Thx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My carport is 14' wide and is totally taken up by the main slide being out. If it was 12', I could not begin to put the slide out. As it is, the slide comes within 3" of the wall (slide is about 33" deep).
I actually started out with just a 12' wide slab and quickly realized it would be tight once the carport was errected. You can see a seam in the concrete where I had it widened 2' more and I'm really glad I did.
If you have room, go at least 14' wide if not more. Remember, it may not cost anything more than the concrete - if you use it. If you just use gravel it may not cost any more at all.

The height is 13' at the outside corners. That was really too tall. It doesn't look like it in the pic but the AC clears it by a good 20" or more. I can walk around on the roof, bent over but fairly comfortable.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When big carports add convenience, they also can add to industrial look of your property and at some point your neighbours will start complains.
Yes, in most jurisdictions carport require building permits.
I build my carport the lowest for my need, what is boat at the time and to some degree it blends with the property.
Chances are that I will sell the boat and use carport for my pickup, so I will either pour concrete piers to raise it, or weld feet extensions.

Click For Full-Size Image.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
GeoBoy wrote:
billtex wrote:
ScottG, what are the dimensions of your carport?

Geo-is the 12’ wide enough?

Thx, Bill

Yes, I have the metal on the sides come down 6’, this way my township doesn’t tax me because it is a “patio pavilion” and not a garage.

Geoboy-what are you hauling for camper-not in your sig?

Does 12' give plenty of clearance? I am just under 11' with an EC850 on a tall 3/4 ton.

Do you think a 20' wide will accommodate a TC and an AirStream?

Thx, Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella