cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying a Portable Waste tank

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on picking up a portable waste tank fro the TT this spring as we will be doing some longer trips at campgrounds that do not have sewer hookups. I would like to still use the facilities in the trailer but not have to hook it up every 3 days and drive it down to the dump station.

My problem is I am not sure how to carry it as I have a 21' Hybrid trailer being towed by a large SUV. I do not want to carry it inside the trailer or the back of the SUV (for obvious reasons). The roof of the TV will usually have bikes or a canoe. There is no ladder as it is a Hybrid. The storage compartment is not big enough to get a waste tank in. This leaves the exterior of the trailer. My top ideas right now are ratchet strap to the back bumper wedged between the spare tire and the back wall of the trailer (if it will fit), or somehow finding a way to strap it to the A frame near the battery (again if it will fit).

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas for transporting a waste tank outside their trailer?
Thanks
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com
17 REPLIES 17

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
We use both of our tanks, but haven't filled up the black one yet and needed to empty while we were boondocking. The gray is another matter though, and so we just bought one of those 6 gallon jugs at walmart (tall skinny, greyish blue) and keep it in the shower after rinsing it out. We also bought a blue one in case we need to add water without a spigot near by. they just store in our little tiny tub perfectly.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have a smaller one that I use when traveling on extended trips. I modified the axles for easy removal so that it takes less space and packs neatly. Put it in the pass thru storage inside a garbage bag.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the original posters constraints, the only option is inside the trailer. After dumping rinse it real good and pour in about a 1/3 cup of pine sol. we also carried a macerator pump and additional water hose and dumped via the pump directly into the truck bed as we also hated the slow pulling of the tank thru the campground.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Buy a bigger RV with larger gray and black tanks:)
Boom!

Seriously though just rinse it good and store it in your TT, keep it secure with some bugee cords or some tie downs .
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a bigger RV with larger gray and black tanks:)

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you don't put too much weight on it, have a light weight hitch receiver welded to the rear frame of the trailer and buy a small carrier that fits the 2" receiver tube. Too much weight strapped on the carrier will reduce the tongue weight of the trailer and cause a sway condition while traveling.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about using the 5 gallon buckets from Lowes/Home Depot that I use to store my leveling blocks/firewood in. I have 3 that will stack inside each other when empty; the lids will stack flat. I figure 4+ gallons in each would allow me to dump 12-14 gallons per trip and only weight about 40# each. My grey tank holds 30 gallons, so I would be able to practically empty it in 2 trips.
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I have room under the back of my FW to bungee cord it up underneath. I went with a 15 gallon and it's about as big as I can slide up a 2x10 6 foot board to get it in the back of my truck. If you do carry it on the ladder dont do what I saw someone in Yuma doing. They had painted on it...."Yesterdays Meals On Wheels".

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, if you rinse the tank good, you can store it anywhere. I've had mine for over 10 years now, I haul black and gray. I transport it in the back of my pick-up truck with the shell, there's never any smells, it's not "dirty", it's not unsanitary or anything.

With one of my previous campers, I towed with a Suburban, I carried it inside the camper. I just make sure it didn't roll around to bang into anything, or damage the walls. It never smelled, wasn't dirty, and when we reached our destination, it went under the trailer.

It's not a disease, it's just a container. With even a simple amount of care there's nothing icky about them at all. Transport inside your camper, and store under the camper at the camp site. Rinse it out a the dump station and enjoy camping.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased one some 30+ years ago and used it when we took the Scout troops out for the weekend. We were the base, they slept in tents...unfair but it worked for me. Empty the blue tank with wheels is light weight. We only used it for gray water, I would think using it for black would really be messy, even with the best for care. It can easily be strapped to a ladder, across the tow-bar, or to a bumper. It is so light weight you can even stuff it between the bikes (assuming you have cheap family bikes).
Happy Trails.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Since we ONLY use our waste tank for gray water, once it's rinsed we have no problems with it inside the vehicle or trailer.

yep, that's the only way I'd do it.
bumpy

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
When we had SUVs it was never a big deal to haul it in the back. We just wrapped it in plastic. We've also hauled it in the bathroom which became our preferred method. Then store it under the trailer while camping.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

copeland343
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is straped under the camper to the cross frame

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Ladder works fine if you have one. I have done that and I have also put in on the roof of my TC and strapped it there.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!