cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying gas for generator

Zircon
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Alp Adventurer TC on a 2015 Chevy Silverado Dually. We do a fair bit of boondocking as well as camping in campgrounds that have no AC hookup. So, we purchased a Honda EU2000i. What do you think is the best way to carry spare gas for that generator. I've been thinking about purchasing one of those diamond plate metal boxes (if I could find one), bolting it to the top of the rear overhang of the camper, drilling some vent holes in it, and using it to store one of those approved polyethylene gas containers ... maybe 5 gallons. Don't much like the idea of just the plastic container sitting on the back of the camper, so I figured the metal container would afford some extra protection. Then I thought maybe I could use one of those low profile RotopaX containers (3 gallons?) and attach it to the rear overhang ... maybe behind the ladder. Some of you must have had this problem before and I was wondering how you handled it?
I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything. Maybe I didn't use the right search parameters. By the way, if I have this post in the wrong place, I apologize and feel free to move it. Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

arto_wa
Explorer
Explorer
During winter I carry 20 lb propane bottle in a plastic crate, strapped down with a seat-belt on the floor in the back of the cab!
99 F350 4x4 CC DRW 7.3L PSD, 97 Bigfoot 2500 10.6
(11,900#)

89 Duckworth 17' Pro 302

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I went a different direction and I used a cargo tray on the back (but plan to put hitch on front) and I bought a 3500 propane generator.

I already carry 15 gallons of propane (but only run one tank at a time) and I carry a 5 gallon bottle loaded into a plastic milk box and it rides in the bathroom.

If I need the generator I'll have plenty of fuel that's so much easier to carry and use, with gas the carburetor might gum up if you don't run the engine dry and clear out the **** they put in gas these days but with propane it just starts and runs.

Mainly we use the 5 gallon bottle with the tree where you can top it with a lantern and run a grill and stove.

SO with a propane bottle I can pretty much do whatever I need to especially if we're off the grid.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

slickrock_steve
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Rotopax cans. GREAT and can be mounted on your ladder very easily.

Surfrat
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted a can under the rear hang over.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I put my two 5-gal metal cans on the back of my TC in aluminum holders. AT makes can holders for CARB, NATO, and other style cans.

I also use two 2-gal metal nato cans just for generator fuel and they fit in the generator compartment.

Works great.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
It can be very tough n deciding where to carry extra fuel. Safety and convenient do not always agree.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
I carry a 1.25 Gal No-Spill fuel can and it works great for my needs.
This little can easily fits inside one of the exterior compartments on my TC (vented to the outside of course), and I can fill up my Honda's tank without spilling a single drop. I also cary a 5 Gal No-Spill diesel can.
I'll add that I seldom run my generator, so I prefer not to have much gasoline with me....Flammable stuff ya' know 😉

Rotopax makes a really nice product and their mounting scheme is brilliant, but IMO their pour spouts leave a lot to be desired. If these fit in your budget and you have an appropriate mounting location for one (or more) then I think it's a good solution.

Cheers
-Mark
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I used to drive semi-commercially all over the states and the only acceptable plastic gas cans I found at "Canadian Tire" in BC.
Even those cans left in wagon for an 1 hr make you venting the car before entering.
So my vote goes to surplus cans, that can be just mounted on their bracket anywhere you can stand the looks, or if you want to under-mount something, I would check marine tanks.
Depends on your TC, the space on the sides of truck bed makes good storage, if you can find a way to push can there.
Than what is wrong with carrying 5 or more 1 gallons containers?

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest would be to mount a Rotopax container to your rear ladder.

Personally I take a 5gal NATO Jerry can (they seal TIGHT and DON'T leak even a whiff of fumes) that I store in the trailer if we bring it but if not it sits in the camper or behind the front seat in the truck.

My Outfitter has one of those small hatches to access the wheel well area and I even bought a 2ish gal container that fits BUT when mounted on the truck the opening is partially obstructed by the trucks bedrail, so no gas can is going to fit.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I can fit a small jerry can between the camper and the truck by the wheel well, rarely use the generator though so I usually just take it and use what's in the tank.

I really don't sweat it though, not worried at all about carrying that small amount of gas.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
RotoPax.

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention what fuel is used for your tow vehicle. If gas you might just use oklahoma credit card (siphon hose) and fill from your main tank.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'd get a front hitch and a hitch mounted cargo carrier for it. I'd carry the gen. and the gas up front on that carrier. This should help move some weight to your front axle which probably has some room.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my Lance I have a trap door that opens in to the wheel wells. I keep two one liter Briggs fuel containers there.