cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

caulk/sealant questions

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all! Hoping to get up on the roof to inspect things as soon as we get a thaw. TT is a 2013 and we have had it less than a year and have sealed nothing yet.

I have many questions regarding type/application of caulk and I'm hoping I understand things correctly. So, I need the self leveling for flat surfaces/around vents ect.? I'm not too sure where the other non-sag type would be used on a roof application, perhaps on edges? How about where the edge of roofing material meets trailer wall?

Now on to silicone, nowhere near roof, trailer body only? And my final question is that the windows on tt appear to have no caulk around them, the flange is tight against the trailer but it seems that could be a place for water intrusion. Is that normal?

Thanks for any advise, just want to make sure I order/use the proper materials for the job.
5 REPLIES 5

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great info Old-Biscuit, just what I needed!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Dicor Self Leveling Sealant is great for roof seams/around vents etc.
But doesn't work very well on vertical/sidewall needs.

Dicor makes a non-sag sealant.

For vertical/sidewall sealant..... ProFlex Flexible RV Sealant by Geocel Corp. NOT FOR USE ON RUBBER such as EDPM roofs

The windows, compartment doors, furnace panel, water heater frame etc. used a butyl tape sealant when being installed and unless you are removing to repair no need for extra sealant around the edges.

Silicone should NOT be used.........silicone leaves behind an all but permanent coating to which no sealant, including fresh silicone, will adhere. If a silicone has been used it must be completely removed using a silicone remover.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link Wmoses, I'll check it out.

I worded that incorrectly mlts22, I was going to use the Proflex sealant not silicone. Is that stuff okay that you know of?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Avoid silicone, period.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest paying a visit to this webpage. Lots of good information and answers. Good luck.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_