cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ceiling Panel Fastener or Glue?

maddog77
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. It's been a while since I've visited this forum. I haven’t been able to do much RVing over the last year and a 1/2 for personal reasons. My trailer has been pretty much closed up for that time. We did make it out last weekend and I noticed that some of the ceiling panels have come loose and are sagging. I immediately thought I had a water leak but could find no evidence of water damage or leaks. A thorough inspection of the roof rubber and seams showed no damage or missing sealant either. It appears that the brad style nails used to fasten the ceiling panels have worked loose in some areas. A tap w/ the hammer seats them back, but I can easily pull them loose again. What has me wondering here is the fact that my trailer has an aluminum super structure but yet the manufacture (Sunnybrook) used brad nails to fasten the panels? Brad nails shot into aluminum trusses just seems futile to me. There's no holding power. My thought is to glue the panels and seam cover trim strips to the aluminum trusses. My next question would be what's the right adhesive to use? I’m thinking Liquid Nails should do the trick but maybe there’s something better to use designed for this. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
God, family & camping freinds forever! SMS

'04 SunnyBrook Solanta 3310
'05 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab w/ 5.7 Hemi V8
3 REPLIES 3

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my rockwood, I had to refasten a trim strip on the ceiling that covered the gap between two panels.

Nails were originally used into the aluminum beam (probably with an air nailer).

I used short screws into the aluminum after drilling pilot holes. Be careful drilling to make sure the drill doesn't suddenly grab the other side of the beam and pull the bit through the roof. I didn't have this happen but I can see how it could easily happen in the soft aluminum.

You can touch up the screw heads with some paint to hid ethem if you wish.

Steve

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Short screws?
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

readytow
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the same issue is my sunnybrook, and thought of the same thing. What about using some type of serrated nail. If that makes sense. I have pulled my trim strips down to run the stereo wiring, and never had an issue re-attaching them. But, I have noticed in mine, the panels also appeared to be glued on. I would think Liquid Nails would work fine. Only problem is if you ever need to pull the panels, they will be destroyed from the glue sticking.