cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Lance 1010 dump valves

JohninSD
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever done this? I just spent a few hours trying to get the old valves out - can only reach 3 of the 4 bolts on each valve through the access door. I don't see any way to get at them from underneath either - there's just not room for full sized human hands to get in there. And if it's this difficult to get the old valves out I foresee a huge problem with getting the new ones in properly. Yes I have read about the plastic and/or sheetmetal trick to it but there just isn't room to get at the bolts. Anyone have any secret tricks to share? I'll wait a day or two and then call an RV repair place - let them do it. This reminds me of the 10 years I spent living on a boat - the builders had given no thought whatsoever to the mechanic who would have to make repairs someday. Spent way too many hours crawling into tight spots to reach various pieces of engine or generator or v-drive or plumbing.
8 REPLIES 8

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Butt pan...thaz funny. Glad you got it fixed.
When I first looked the pic of 'butt pan' was showing-might be better showing access for Lance?.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
More info on changing dump valve in Lance: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22042074/gotomsg/22043355.cfm#22043355
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

JohninSD
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31753213@N04/sets/72157634784197322/Pix of job

The job is done - on closer inspection I noticed that there is a plastic belly(?) pan across the back of the camper, similar to what AnEv942 describes (maybe it should be called a butt pan, considering what part of the camper's anatomy it covers). Removing the pan required unscrewing a dozen or so self tappers and a few square drive woodscrews - guess they used whichever was handy. Once that was out of the way it only took a few minutes to change the valves, not counting the time it took to figure it out - and the time it took to do a leak test - put some water in each tank and left a piece of cardboard under the pipe - no drops on it after an hour - good enough for me.

I had a bayonet mount slide valve on the camper for a few weeks before I got around to doing this job - plan to carry it along from now on in case this happens again - yet another emergency item to carry but it is sure nice to have when needed. It provides another line of defense against nasty surprises when removing the sewer cap.

Here are a few pix - the first one shows the original valves in place

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31753213@N04/9361414952/" title="IMGP1313 by Jayelldoubleu, on Flickr">IMGP1313

Tried to post a few more pix but flickr has changed the rules apparently - finding it too much trouble right now

OK - added a link to the pix on flickr - done with this post now -

JohninSD
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't changed them yet - I took the camper off my truck so I could get the truck serviced and I won't get under there with the camper on the jacks - I want it on the truck and the jacks -

It looks like the simplest thing to do will be to saw out the hole where the pipe comes through the bottom to make it big enough to reach the bolts - then I'll glue it back together with epoxy - I have some good epoxy left over from building kayaks - might put a little fiberglass cloth on it too -

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
So did you get them changed?
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Dont know if Lance same, job I was dreading because of one bolt impossibble to get to. On ours there is a full plastic cover in front of rear bumper, covers grey tank, it also is bottom for cabinet that valves are located in. When I finally resigned my self to remove had the valves in & out in a few minuets.
Otherwise I dont know how I would have removed valve. Silly cover is only held on by a few screws.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
I just went to look at my 1010 to see what you were in for. I can only suggest a 1/4" air power driver. Maybe a mirror to see what you are doing. It looks as if you will have to hold either the bolt or the lock nut with a wrench whilst powering the driver. I do not look forward to that job. It looks like I need to squirt my bolts with some wd40.
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
well if you really get stuck at least you only live 175 miles from the Lance Factory in Lancaster
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags