cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chaning Differental oil ???

ilvtravln
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have an 03 F350, 90K miles, how often should the diff. oil be changed ? Ford lists the oil that came with is as synthetic. We do about 1/3 towing and the rest around town. Thanks
Art
22 REPLIES 22

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I had my TT I changed the diff fluid every 25k miles. It was easy for me to do and sometimes I had access to the fluid. I also did my trans fluid as often. Same for brake fluid.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, do it now along with transfer case and front diff. I have an '06 and change mine about every 5 years. But I live at the foot of the Rockies and tow a bunch in them. Towing is hard on gear boxes.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my F150, the transfer case was super simple. Pull the drain plug, let it drain, and refill. The rear differential requires removing the rear half to drain, reinstall and refill. For the front differential, I used a pump and removed as much of the fluid as possible and refilled it. Total job took me about 2 hours.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did it on our 2012 F350 4WD including the transfer case and it was easier than I expected. I used the OEM Ford fluid. I also got a pump to pump the old stuff out and the new stuff in. Or did I use a drain plug? It's been awhile, definitively used a pump to add it back tho.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
20 year old gear oil... I'd change it.

Thisโ€ฆ..
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Read the manual for sure. It's probably either 50,000 miles or 100,000 miles depending on use. Towing and running around town are both hard on it. Long highway trips not towing would be easy life on the oil.
I'd change it.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
20 year old gear oil... I'd change it.
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
How often? Now. If itโ€™s 20 year old oil. That said once I do an early diff change on a new or new to me vehicle, I go at least 50k between changes with good synthetic gear lube.

PS, if itโ€™s an early 03 7.3 you have a very desirable vehicle if itโ€™s been kept up and basically used only rarely.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold