cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chasing No left turn Signal on Trailer With Ram Truck

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
OK guys I have a new issue with this 2013 Ram 6.7. I had to pack some bearings in my utility trailer and afterward, I hooked up the truck and plugged into it to see about lights on the trailer. Found out left signal light not working. Later that day I connected our Subaru to the trailer and everything works. So then I hooked up another trailer I have to the truck and same issue, no left turn signal. The truck has at the bumper a seven pin, and 4 pin connection (all in one). I then tried the seven pin inside the bed to isolate which connector is bad, and guess what, no left signal there as well. So now the issue moves to wiring harness at the junction under the truck where the two split to see if there is power there.

Can anyone here tell me any tips in chasing this, or thoughts on if there is no power at the junction where you would go from there?
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie
14 REPLIES 14

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Now you should check your utility trailer for a short circuit. Wiring on trailers is often done very poorly.

Could only be two culprits. The Fifth Wheel, or my Cargo trailer. I think possibly the Fifth wheel. I was pulling it for a short one way trip when shortly on the drive and plugged into the bumper, the warning light came on saying trailer is disconnected. I pulled over and ended up switching the plug to the bed and it took care of it. May be there somewhere. Or my cargo trailer which has two sets of long LED lights on it and the upper left which is my problem side had 3-4 led lights burned out. Actually bought a replacement bank for it but never put it on. Now I'll check that side out first before replacing and doing damage to the new one.Thanks
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Thanks for the update! Glad I could help. Did you save the owner's manual?

I did! Great help. Thanks again!
We love our Westie

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now you should check your utility trailer for a short circuit. Wiring on trailers is often done very poorly.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update! Glad I could help. Did you save the owner's manual?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Check for a trailer connector fuse? Does the brake light work?
Looks like fuse 53
Fuse block

Brake lights work, I think. I need to check that again. Left signal works on truck so fuse 53 how could that be an issue if it works on the truck? Just asking

F53 = Trailer Tow – Left Turn/Stop Lights

Turned out a blown fuse. Didn't think about that until Enblethen mentioned it. Thanks guys for the help.
We love our Westie

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
SweetLou wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Looks like fuse 53
Fuse block

Brake lights work, I think. I need to check that again. Left signal works on truck so fuse 53 how could that be an issue if it works on the truck? Just asking

F53 = Trailer Tow – Left Turn/Stop Lights
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely check the fuses under the hood. I have a trailer that likes to short out the trailer signals almost every time, I need to change the lights on it and be done.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may find a PDF free owner's manual online!
Owner's manual
Look at page 678

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Fuse is for trailer connector. Truck lights are on it's own fuse.
Check your owner's manual
I wish I had an owners manual. Had it stolen while at a dealership. $75 for a new one. Now I know why their employee stole it
We love our Westie

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Fuse is for trailer connector. Truck lights are on it's own fuse.
Check your owner's manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
GM has fuses for Right and Left Trailer in the fuse block under the hood.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

jhgerhart
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem, but with a Ford. 10 years ago I added airbags. This year the trailer lights stopped working. Fuse OK, relay OK, now what?
I traced the wiring inch by inch and found that the tube to add air to the airbags was rubbing against the wiring harness. 10 years later, to wore through a wire. No damage to the airbag air tube, however.
Maybe no help to you, but you may have to trace the wire to see where it is broken.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Looks like fuse 53
Fuse block

We love our Westie

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like fuse 53
Fuse block

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow