cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Checked out a Nissan Titan XD

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been waiting to check out one of these trucks since I first read about them. Finally had a chance to check one of them out today. I didn't get to drive it but I got done what I wanted to accomplish today.

Here are some pics of the smaller details of the truck..

the gooseneck socket... there is no handle in the wheel well like the B&W... there is some kind of locking recess built into the receiver. This would be the ball retainer.. similar to the Reese Elite.

Here is a look at one of the pucks with the cover off. Presumably this will hold the chain loop... I am not sure if there will be a Fifth wheel "oem' made that will fit into the gooseneck receiver ad the two pucks... but it looks like the GM gooseneck option for 2017 is very similar to the Titans.

This next picture is of one of the tie down rails on the bed floor. There is a flimsy plastic cover on them that slides off.. I estimate that after the first serious load these plastic covers will break.

Here is a shot of the Titan Box... Prefect set up for the Drive-In theater! LOL.. the lid has some built in cup holders!...they do look very handy.

Here is a shot of the terrible payload rating this truck has...this was a loaded up 4x4 with many many many options.. about 54k... 1598 lbs of payload...of note.. this truck does have LT Range E tires.

I thought you all would appreciate this next pic too... This one shows the Gross weights.

Pretty interesting that the gross axle weights added up are 9,800 lbs compared to the GVWR of 8,990...difference of 810 lbs.

Hopefully, I have more time and can actually drive one and get a feel for how this truck actually drives.

One more pic of the front end.. Pretty nice looking..

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
53 REPLIES 53

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
The low payload and maint schedule killed this truck for me. It has a few other nags that I could get over and by far the most comfortable seats in its class imo.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
45Ricochet wrote:
All right Jeremiah, when do you pick it up? We've been needing a beta tester for this truck :B
At least it has LT tires :W

I'm really considering it. I want a cloth trim 2wd... plus the new 5.6 Endurance V8 (390 hp, 401 lb ft tq) has yet to hit the market. Trimmed out like I want the payload should be much closer to if not greater than 2,000 lbs. That will be more than enough for my family and a decently sized TT.

I'm stalking out the Titan XD forums now to see what problems creep up... so far not too many.

But yes... I may be the owner of a Titan XD in the next 12 months. I really like it. The interior is very comfy.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
All right Jeremiah, when do you pick it up? We've been needing a beta tester for this truck :B
At least it has LT tires :W
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
It's not much different than other 'half ton' trucks

Sum of both axles on most any vehicle will always be higher than the GVWR which is based on the 'whole' vehicle not just axle ratings.

This is mostly true... However, Ford will take away from the difference to give higher payload numbers on their Max Tow F150. Verified it on trucks with my own eyes. Also, my Van GVWR is the same as the sum of the axles... literally zero wiggle room there. So it is not always the case.

I did find something interesting about the gooseneck package.

Curt makes a ball and safety chain loop kit for the Nissan Titan XD... it also advertises that it works with the GM twins underbed gooseneck package. So it seems that the gooseneck for the GM trucks and the Nissan Titan are the same.

Here is a Link to that ball and loop kit.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Nice copy of the Ram Box hahahaha Fred can't come up with anything original can he. I think the fifth wheel without any payload is going to hurt them. Maybe Fred was the one that kept blocking any HD P/L and tow packages on the 1500 Ram.

DON
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's not much different than other 'half ton' trucks

Sum of both axles on most any vehicle will always be higher than the GVWR which is based on the 'whole' vehicle not just axle ratings.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN makes a good point. Nissan is marketing this truck to pull pull fifth wheels and goosenecks by selling it with an integrated hitch like the big three do with their hd offerings, yet the Titan has less payload than the big threes half ton offerings.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Not impressed, it can't tow much of anything.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Compared to previous Nissan trucks it is a very good looking truck...however that small 4900 RAWR simply is a killer for TC and 5th wheel trailers.
I'm surprised Nissan even has a GN option for no more axle load than it can carry. Good marketing ploy though.
Most GN trailers start at 12k GVWR (6k axles) and go up in weight.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides