cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Checked out a Nissan Titan XD

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been waiting to check out one of these trucks since I first read about them. Finally had a chance to check one of them out today. I didn't get to drive it but I got done what I wanted to accomplish today.

Here are some pics of the smaller details of the truck..

the gooseneck socket... there is no handle in the wheel well like the B&W... there is some kind of locking recess built into the receiver. This would be the ball retainer.. similar to the Reese Elite.

Here is a look at one of the pucks with the cover off. Presumably this will hold the chain loop... I am not sure if there will be a Fifth wheel "oem' made that will fit into the gooseneck receiver ad the two pucks... but it looks like the GM gooseneck option for 2017 is very similar to the Titans.

This next picture is of one of the tie down rails on the bed floor. There is a flimsy plastic cover on them that slides off.. I estimate that after the first serious load these plastic covers will break.

Here is a shot of the Titan Box... Prefect set up for the Drive-In theater! LOL.. the lid has some built in cup holders!...they do look very handy.

Here is a shot of the terrible payload rating this truck has...this was a loaded up 4x4 with many many many options.. about 54k... 1598 lbs of payload...of note.. this truck does have LT Range E tires.

I thought you all would appreciate this next pic too... This one shows the Gross weights.

Pretty interesting that the gross axle weights added up are 9,800 lbs compared to the GVWR of 8,990...difference of 810 lbs.

Hopefully, I have more time and can actually drive one and get a feel for how this truck actually drives.

One more pic of the front end.. Pretty nice looking..

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
53 REPLIES 53

Bedlam
If you decide on any diesel, I would suggest 4wd. The front end is so heavy they these trucks in 2wd don't even do well on wet pavement without a load in the bed.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
All right Jeremiah, when do you pick it up? We've been needing a beta tester for this truck :B
At least it has LT tires :W

I'm really considering it. I want a cloth trim 2wd... plus the new 5.6 Endurance V8 (390 hp, 401 lb ft tq) has yet to hit the market. Trimmed out like I want the payload should be much closer to if not greater than 2,000 lbs. That will be more than enough for my family and a decently sized TT.

I'm stalking out the Titan XD forums now to see what problems creep up... so far not too many.

But yes... I may be the owner of a Titan XD in the next 12 months. I really like it. The interior is very comfy.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Jeremiah,

What do you like about this truck as compared to the Ram 2500 with the 6.4? My neighbors Ram with the coil springs has a good ride and provides more payload. From what I understand the milage is pretty respectable as well. I am not second guessing your judgement, I am really just curious to hear a little more about what makes this a better choice for you. And recognize this is coming from someone who chose a 'heavy half' myself.

Thanks,
Stu

Hi Stu,

Great question.

I really liked the interior of the Titan XD...I like that the cargo management system in the bed has been pretty well thought through. I liked the removable Titan Boxes...

But, I'm having a hard time justifying the truck to myself too...it's nearly as heavy as a 3/4 ton...in the Gasser version it will likely get the same MPG....it takes up the same space as a 3/4 ton...its like having a 3/4 ton truck without the capabilities.

Now, I did some local cross checking....the Titan XD in SV trim, 2wd are still selling for 45k...1500-2000 lbs payload ish

One of my local Ram dealerships has a 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Crew Cab 4x4 tradesmen with the chrome package and the cloth interior...towing mirrors, IBC, back up camera for mid 30's.... Nearly 3,000 lbs payload IIRC.

So, my thoughts...several days removed from looking at the Titan is that I really should be looking at a real 3/4 ton instead of a more expensive Titan.

I have more thinking to do because you do get the Cummins and the Aisin transmission. But is that worth it? I can get a Tradesmen 6.7 Cummins for mid to upper 40's.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I want the truck to be successful, but I have a hard time convincing myself it will be. Payload aside, it still will have trouble competing with a 250/2500 series truck in regards to power or MPG.

And the same is probably said vs a 150/1500. Seems they found no mans land. Have sales numbers been released yet?
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
BeerCan wrote:
I don't understand why the maint requirements for this truck are so stringent. Are they creating reasons for warranty denial?
From the XD's owner manual for people who tow

Tires -- Rotate every 5k
Differential -- Change every 20k
Transmission -- Change every 20k
Engine oil and filter -- Change every 5k
Engine coolant -- Change every 45k
Fuel filters -- Change every 10k
Brake fluid -- Change every 10k

A lot of those are dictated by the engine/transmission supplier,not Nissan.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

CWSWine
Explorer
Explorer
The one I saw had 1490 payload with goose neck hitch and the salesman told me that since it was diesel it could tow 99% of the 5th wheels out there. Are you guys say that isn't true. LOL
2017 Discovery XLE 40 D DP
Sold Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Diesel 3722 CC
5er 13,600 - 3100 pin - Truck Weight 11380 Truck GVWR 11,500
Only 180 lbs below my trucks MAX GVWR

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand why the maint requirements for this truck are so stringent. Are they creating reasons for warranty denial?
From the XD's owner manual for people who tow

Tires -- Rotate every 5k
Differential -- Change every 20k
Transmission -- Change every 20k
Engine oil and filter -- Change every 5k
Engine coolant -- Change every 45k
Fuel filters -- Change every 10k
Brake fluid -- Change every 10k

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
All right Jeremiah, when do you pick it up? We've been needing a beta tester for this truck :B
At least it has LT tires :W

I'm really considering it. I want a cloth trim 2wd... plus the new 5.6 Endurance V8 (390 hp, 401 lb ft tq) has yet to hit the market. Trimmed out like I want the payload should be much closer to if not greater than 2,000 lbs. That will be more than enough for my family and a decently sized TT.

I'm stalking out the Titan XD forums now to see what problems creep up... so far not too many.

But yes... I may be the owner of a Titan XD in the next 12 months. I really like it. The interior is very comfy.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Jeremiah,

What do you like about this truck as compared to the Ram 2500 with the 6.4? My neighbors Ram with the coil springs has a good ride and provides more payload. From what I understand the milage is pretty respectable as well. I am not second guessing your judgement, I am really just curious to hear a little more about what makes this a better choice for you. And recognize this is coming from someone who chose a 'heavy half' myself.

Thanks,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
If I needed a 1/2 ton I would chose the F150, so much combinations to fit the buyer to chose from. I still don't care for the Titan despite a nice interior. They may work well for some, I don't see the advantage of getting one with the diesel due to payload. The 5.6 gas version should produce better payload.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
I thought the Ram tool boxes were pretty slick until I realized you cannot carry a canopy or rack without blocking access to your boxes. Is the Nissan the same way?

No the boxes would be totally useable with a canopy on the truck...depends on the rack. I am pretty sure that the boxes are removable too.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

Bedlam
I thought the Ram tool boxes were pretty slick until I realized you cannot carry a canopy or rack without blocking access to your boxes. Is the Nissan the same way?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
How much do those boxes narrow the bed width, Ram or XD? Nice feature, but think I'd rather have the space and get my own tool box if I needed one. For sure, they are a pricey option.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
with a 1598lbs payload, it's not worth paying all the extra money for the diesel.
that's a basic 1/2 ton gasser truck payload.

you'd expect a lot more for the diesel engine.

My thoughts exactly. This still points 5th wheel buyers and toy haulers to 3/4 and 1 ton trucks with big bore diesels, where the real towing power remains.

Fast_Mopar
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Here is a shot of the terrible payload rating this truck has...this was a loaded up 4x4 with many many many options.. about 54k... 1598 lbs of payload...of note.. this truck does have LT Range E tires.

That's better than the one I looked at. At the Houston Auto Show, the Titan XD Cummins 4X4 had a payload of 1377 lb.
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2009 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2004 Ford Freestar 4.2 liter
2003 Jayco Qwest 12A
ex: 1969 Dodge Super Bee, 1973 Plymouth Road Runner, 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX
preserve the Second Amendment

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
with a 1598lbs payload, it's not worth paying all the extra money for the diesel.
that's a basic 1/2 ton gasser truck payload.

you'd expect a lot more for the diesel engine.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Yes, the gas engine might save it. Although think I'd still prefer my 3.5L EcoBoost.
Also the King Cab and Reg Cab versions haven't come out yet.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow