cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chevy 4.8 engine

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
someone came by to look at my 23 ft trailblazer TT for sale.
asked him what he has t pull it with. 2006 chevy with 4.8.

it did not come with tow package. he has put on a good hitch.
does not have tranny cooler yet.
trailer will be about 6300 loaded. he has a 1200 lb equalize hitch.
I am not sure if I want to sell it to him. any comments.

is the 1200 bars way to big??
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Sale it...
Mark

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no lawyer, but "sold as-is, where-is on (insert day here) located at (insert location here)for (insert selling price here)". What happens after that is not your issue.

I had a 2007 with the 4.8 and it would probably tow that trailer safely, but not enjoyably. Would have been way under powered at anything over 55 MPH.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'd sell it. Wouldn't even have asked. What's it too you what he wants to pull it with. None of your business really.
However, if he asked for your advice on a tow vehicle that's a whole different story.

For what it's worth my Dad has a 2000 Chevy (I think) with the 4.8. When his 6,000 pound Bobcat needs service he loads it onto a 4,000 pound flatbed trailer and tows 6 miles to the dealer with his 4.8L.

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
I used to pull a jayco 26BH with a Chevy that had a 4.3 . The 4.8 has 100 more HP I think it will be fine.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Silverado with the 4.8 engine. It was economical and quick, when empty. Towing a trailer almost killed it. Good that you are thinking of your fellow man instead of just the cash.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
I never ask what some one is doing with anything I sell. You want it you buy it
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I had an '03 4.8. He will get home safely and be fine on short, local trips, if flat'ish. But he will quickly feel the need to upgrade. We towed right at 4k with ours. On the rolling hills of I-26 through South Carolina, I would have to play every hill to keep it in the power-band. The good old days. 🙂

As far as your responsibility...I would have told the buyer what I just stated above as my experience. It would be off my worry, and likely not change the buyers mind, as once excited about it, he/she will be optimistic about their truck. In all reality, his truck is more capable than most any tow vehicle around a few decades ago. I think it's our tolerances that have changed. You know Dezi had her wound up in "The Long Long Trailer". 🙂
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
It's admirable that you're concerned about his towing combination, but in the end what he tows the trailer with and in what manner is not your responsibility. I'm not trying to justify dealers here, but how many times have we heard someone come on the forum asking 'Can I tow this...' or 'My rig doesn't tow my new RV right...' after a salesman has told them 'Sure, you can tow this, you have a V8'?!?!? :S

For your own peace of mind, you can inform the buyer of the overall trailer weight and tongue weight. If the buyer asks 'can my truck tow this' you can help them to understand the GVWR and GCWR of the truck. Once informed, it's up to the buyer to decide if that is acceptable to them. If they are okay with it, sell them the TT.

I have a coworker that was telling me how he pulled his single axle hybrid TT with his new Ram 1500 with 5.7L. His complaint was how much the trailer sways when he pulls it at 80MPH. I 'informed' him that ST rated tires are spec'd for 65MPH and that was most likely the problem. He shrugged his shoulders and continued his search for a WD hitch with sway control to fix the problem.

In this situation I would prefer that he adhere to the ratings, but in the end, how he uses his equipment is his choice and decision. The same needs to be true of your buyer. They can be informed, but ultimately the choice is theirs.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!