cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning the outside of TT

phoneguy1212
Explorer
Explorer
I have some extreme cleaning to do on my Hi-Lo when I get her home and was wondering if there is a special cleaner to use to get maybe 10 years of neglect off the outside of the unit? Or is it just old fashioned Elbow grease. I'm lazy so any help would be great. Thanks
Almost free Jerry
12 REPLIES 12

MFOX
Explorer
Explorer
These are great answers. I have an outside stove that folds into the side of the camper. There is some rust on the stove and now when it rains the rust runs down the side when it is closed. I was going to wire brush the rust (we just got the trailer) and maybe put rustilum over it. Also, have the left over lines from when the previous owner put a for sale sign on it - any suggestions - it is the glue
MFox
Wonderful DH
Three kids:)
Daughter 99
Sons 01 & 05
Four rescue dogs who are wonderful!

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
We just cleaner our TT yesterday after a year of use. Black streaks weren't that bad. Used brush and Clorox with bleach cleaner and car wash. Worst part was under side of awning which had some black mold spots. Will follow up with some 303 protector today and it will be done in time for this weekends first outing.
Also installed Dexter suspension upgrade and new reading lamps above bed. I have a new fantastic fan for the bath vent but may not get to that in time.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

Nvr2loud
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
Frequent washing works best .
Rather than one thorough washing you can achieve the same result over time by washing your RV completely after every trip without exception .
I am a car guy . I clay bar and polish , and wax my cars frequently .
For my trailer I use a 9" wide x 3" deep soft bristle truck brush on a 6 foot pole .
I lay down a stripe of Palmolive onto the brush face and wash a 10 square foot area .
I rinse the brush in a 5 gallon pail of HOT water .
I use a wash mitt with Palmolive for small spots .
I use a 2 inch wide paint brush with Palmolive on it to get the very small crevices around the tanks/ batteries and around lug nuts / valve stems .
I have a high flow fireman type nozzle hooked to a full 1 inch spigot .
My 2002 Komfort ( purchased new ) looks brand new because it gets washed every time without fail .
I have waxed it but frankly the frequent washing keeps it looking sharp .
Plus if I miss a spot this week ( rarely ) I clean that spot a couple of weeks later after the next trip .
Same procedure for roof and awning . Every time .
Frequency counts most .
Even if it does not look dirty I wash it before putting it away .

Wow... you are dedicated. I wash my trucks once in the spring at a coin wash to get the salt off and once in the fall the rust-proofing place washes them before applying the rust-proofing. If it takes more then 10 minutes, it just isn't worth washing LOL.

I used to spend all day working on cleaning and detailing my cars, motorcycle, boat... loved the way it felt to have clean vehicles. Now I have a wife and three kids, even if I could find the time to wash and detail... all the dents, dings, scratches, and stains would appear from under all that dirt. I actually can't wait until the kids are all older and then I can get back to 'caring' about my vehicles.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
The Awesome isn't a bad idea, but before you do that spray black streak remover on the really bad areas. That will cut down on the amount of elbow grease you'll need. You might need those elbows to play tennis!
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful using Awesome. It is pretty caustic at full strength. I accidentally left some on my aluminum sided trailer and it permanently etched the finish in spots.

If you use it, be sure to rinse very well!
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Mix a strong solution of L.A.'s Totally Awesome cleaner in a pump sprayer with bleach and water.

Hose the RV with clean water.
Apply cleaning solution in pump sprayer.
Let sit for a minute but do not allow to dry.
Scrub with soft brush.
Rinse with clean water.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I tried Armor All car wash on my TT a few weeks ago it it was usless on the black streaks. Awesome worked great at removing the black streaks but stripped the wax off the trailer.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Frequent washing works best .
Rather than one thorough washing you can achieve the same result over time by washing your RV completely after every trip without exception .
I am a car guy . I clay bar and polish , and wax my cars frequently .
For my trailer I use a 9" wide x 3" deep soft bristle truck brush on a 6 foot pole .
I lay down a stripe of Palmolive onto the brush face and wash a 10 square foot area .
I rinse the brush in a 5 gallon pail of HOT water .
I use a wash mitt with Palmolive for small spots .
I use a 2 inch wide paint brush with Palmolive on it to get the very small crevices around the tanks/ batteries and around lug nuts / valve stems .
I have a high flow fireman type nozzle hooked to a full 1 inch spigot .
My 2002 Komfort ( purchased new ) looks brand new because it gets washed every time without fail .
I have waxed it but frankly the frequent washing keeps it looking sharp .
Plus if I miss a spot this week ( rarely ) I clean that spot a couple of weeks later after the next trip .
Same procedure for roof and awning . Every time .
Frequency counts most .
Even if it does not look dirty I wash it before putting it away .

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
A good hand scrubbing with an auto wash should do it
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd use "Awsome" cleaner. However. Once you are finished. You better get some wax on it, and don't let it touch the decals
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

twins89
Explorer
Explorer
I would try Lestoil (Use in an inconspicuous spot first). It takes off grease and grime from everything. I would think on a Hi-Lo it would work well. Whatever you use, I would apply it with a brush and let it sit and work, scrub and rinse. See how it comes out and then repeat if necessary. Lestoil can be hard to find but it is worth it. I use it on clothing (even satin) and it takes off everything.
Western New Yorkers with a Westie
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
I use Awesome concentrate from the dollar store. Mix some in hot water, use a sponge and a long-handled brush to scrub.