cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coating exposed luan plywood with ??

Keysman
Explorer
Explorer
The floor of my trailer consists of 2" of styrofoam compressed between a top layer and bottom layer of 3/16" luan plywood. The bottom layer of the floor was wrapped and glued with a tarp like material to protect it from the outside elements. Water got between the tarp material and the luan plywood and caused mold and some minor delamination of the plywood. I had to remove the tarp like material to get to the mold and glue the plywood. The water intrusion problem has been fixed, however, the bottom layer 3/16" of plywood is now exposed to the elements. My question is "What would be the best coating to waterproof the luan plywood to protect from any further damage? Any suggestions appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Keysman wrote:
Well, I went with the West System and am very impressed with the result. I used the slow curing hardener and had plenty of time to spread the epoxy with a 7" roller with a 1/8" foam roller recommended by the seller. Was about $156.00 for gallon of resin, quart of hardener, throw away brush and the foam roller. Went on really well and am satisfied with the product so far.

However, after using goggles, a respirator, long sleeve shirt and chemical resistant gloves I got an extreme allergic reaction from the epoxy. Hands, face, arms legs and private parts. Really nasty. Went to the doctor for a steroid shot on day 2. After five days still waiting for it to clear up. So be careful with this stuff. Only got one coat on but will have to do for now. Will get a semi hazmat suit the next time I use this stuff. Might even have to hire somebody to do it. Thanks for the suggestions.
Good work on the underbelly!
Yeah, some paints can be very irritating, especially to those sensitive to certain chemicals. The worst I've had was an Imron 3 part primer. A few guys got really tore up when using it. The good news is that any effects seem short-lived and awareness of toxicity was increased.
I'm somewhat sensitive to Xylene and take a lot of precaution if I have to use it or products containing it.
Hope you're on the mend.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bcsslc
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how much epoxy you use in one spot (as in thick) and if it makes direct contact with the foam it will melt do to the heat that is produced by the epoxy as it cures. Iv had plastic Solo cups melt to half their size.

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
workhardplayharder wrote:
Fiberglass resin cut with denatured alcohol to a very thin mixture. Apply to plywood with a paint brush. The mixture will soak into the wood and the alcohol will evaporate away. Re-apply 2nd and 3rd coats before the resin dries. Practice with some scrap wood to find the right mixture and dry times.

When many boats were made using wood products this is how it was done. If it is fully coated, no problem
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

jrgaylor
Explorer
Explorer
How does the styrofoam react to epoxies like the rot doctor?

Keysman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I went with the West System and am very impressed with the result. I used the slow curing hardener and had plenty of time to spread the epoxy with a 7" roller with a 1/8" foam roller recommended by the seller. Was about $156.00 for gallon of resin, quart of hardener, throw away brush and the foam roller. Went on really well and am satisfied with the product so far.

However, after using goggles, a respirator, long sleeve shirt and chemical resistant gloves I got an extreme allergic reaction from the epoxy. Hands, face, arms legs and private parts. Really nasty. Went to the doctor for a steroid shot on day 2. After five days still waiting for it to clear up. So be careful with this stuff. Only got one coat on but will have to do for now. Will get a semi hazmat suit the next time I use this stuff. Might even have to hire somebody to do it. Thanks for the suggestions.

rickjf
Explorer
Explorer
west system is great for this, but may be overkill.
since as I understand this is underneath the trailer,
gravity kinda keeps things flowing off, so I'd probably
try a one part marine paint like brightsides. it adheres
well, and two coats will really work great for sealing wood.
Rick
Rick & Connie
GMC duramax
Arctic fox 25P

rgolding
Explorer
Explorer
DHCamper wrote:
West System is the Gold standard for what you need: West System

I agree 100%
Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan
Southern Illinois

2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS "Low Key"

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can paint/spray the exposed wood, but you still have the issue of sealing around the edges of where you cut away the Darco undercovering. I have used an underbelly repair tape like this in the past and it works well. Click the pic for the website. Enables to re-seal the bottom better than factory.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
I'd brush on a coat of ROT DOCTOR, and then spray the bottom with a good guality automotive spray undercoating, that will provide a sealed bottom, and the spray will get into every nick and craney.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass resin cut with denatured alcohol to a very thin mixture. Apply to plywood with a paint brush. The mixture will soak into the wood and the alcohol will evaporate away. Re-apply 2nd and 3rd coats before the resin dries. Practice with some scrap wood to find the right mixture and dry times.

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
The above West System is excellent, but another good one is Rot Doctor

You need to protect the luan from further moisture damage, and stabilize the weakened material. Saturation with a penatrating epoxy, then sealing is what most would recommend
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The "tarp like" material is probably like a Tyvek wrap used in home construction as a wind and moisture barrier. Talk to an RV place or possibly a modular home builder in your are to see if you can get some of the wrap to staple back up there.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
West System is the Gold standard for what you need: West System