cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comical EV article

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
It should be seen as a known issue, but this guy wants to drive a Nissan Leaf in Wyoming, and discovers it only takes 15 hours to go 178 miles.
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/10/18/electric-nightmare-ev-owner-details-15-hour-nightmare-trek...
73 REPLIES 73

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
Reisender wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Are EVs tow vehicles now?
You mean like behind a Motorhome?
No, that's a towed vehicle.

Ah ok. There are thousands of EVers towing with EV’s (including ourselves) but generally speaking they tow smaller, lighter and lower profile trailers. Those towing larger high profile trailers are seeing poor results, or at least from the range point of view. Apparently the new GM’s and Tesla half tons may have more range. Time will tell.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
toedtoes wrote:
These stories crop up just like every other fear mongering topic.

Oh, poor me, I bought an RV and thought I'd have the vacation of a lifetime. How was I supposed to know that I would need to empty a tank to keep my sh*t from coming out the shower drain?

How was I supposed to know that the batteries needed to be recharged or I would have no power?

Honestly, I have not had anyone or any agency forcing,or even pushing, me to buy an EV. But I have repeatedly read how "they" are doing just that here on this forum.

Oh wow! You list your locale as Cali. How are you able to drive that old Dodge as blind as you are?
Now, to be fair, if you think you’re old enough that you won’t be able to drive once you have no other choice and need a new vehicle, I understand your point. But your personal demographic does not change the future.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
gbopp wrote:
Nv Guy wrote:
While I am not anti EV, people (greenies & govt.) need to understand they are not for everyone and work in every situation. I read a similar story where the writer traveled from New Orleans to Chicago. They spent more time charging than they did sleeping.

I watched the news of the packed highways by people fleeing Hurricane Ian.
I wondered what would (will) happen if Just 50% of the vehicles were electric.
Will there be enough chargers to get people out of harms way?

I'm not opposed to electric vehicles. Like many, I don't like how they're being shoved down our throats. Hopefully they will have longer ranges in the near future.

At that point you leave it there to flood, short out and explode, call the insurance company ahead of time to get your place in line for the claim that will happen tomorrow and hop in your redneck neighbor’s F250 truck bed with a couple cases of Natty lite and a cooler full of ice and gtfo of town!

Our kid is in school in St Pete.
His 2 options were leave town, or stay. Since the storm changed paths we had him stay and had him go park his car in the 3rd floor of a downtown Tampa parking garage. Car didn’t even get rained on!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2oldman wrote:

Yeppers. Actually. Just not efficient ones. Or was your question rhetorical considering you see and read the same stuff posted here daily about EV truck and suv towing.

Like others, I’m not anti EV either. Not by a long shot. I’m just smart enough to know the total cost of things I purchase or do.
And as it stands, I could run a camper coast to coast behind my 7mpg big block 35 year old GMC and still be money ahead, overall, compared to doing it behind a new Lightning, Rivian or HummEE.
ON topic, I have to buy a new work truck. Commuter mobile that can still pull a trailer and doo truck stuff. I will get reimbursed well for it.
I ran the numbers, both new and lightly used (has to be under 5y/o while in service).
Comparing new and used 1/2 tons (including keeping our 2016 Cummins in the fleet), new and used diesels (ditching the current Cummins and downsizing to just 1 tow rig) AND a new Lightning (keeping the Cummins since the lightning won’t tow how I need it too).
The results were 1,2,3rd place for total cost in the order I posted above.
To be fair, the lightning still would have been 3rd by a tad even if I considered the cost of fuel (also separately reimbursable). And I didn’t even use a penalty for the inconvenience of charging it.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:
2oldman wrote:
You mean like behind a Motorhome?
No, that's a towed vehicle.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
They buy the EV to do what it can do and use their other vehicle for the rest.
That's what I did. I'm kinda smart that way. 🙂

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
time2roll wrote:
shelbyfv wrote:
Those poor ignorant EV buyers.:R Quick Google of the demographics will show that they are superior to AvgJoe in the factors that might influence vehicle selection. :h
Don't rule out the whole thing is a joke written by a non-EV owner. Would not be the first.

Don’t break your arms patting yourselves on the back, gents.
But yoo two aren't really serious EVers anyway. If either of you were any more than trolls regarding this subject, you’d be on here singing the praises and posting pics of your EVs hauling your campers like real men like Reisender does.
Much respect for that gentleman. The trolls, not so much…

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:

You mean like behind a Motorhome? Not that I know of. Maybe Rivian someday as initially that was the plan.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Someone just might be getting a good deal on a slightly used white Nissan Leaf in the very near future 🙂

I’d say a real good deal, since a car like that is basically a large, painted doorstop in Wyoming!
He!!, the wind blows hard enough in Wyoming, if one was traveling in the wrong direction at the wrong time, it might just stop a Leaf dead in its tracks! Lol.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
These stories crop up just like every other fear mongering topic.

Oh, poor me, I bought an RV and thought I'd have the vacation of a lifetime. How was I supposed to know that I would need to empty a tank to keep my sh*t from coming out the shower drain?

How was I supposed to know that the batteries needed to be recharged or I would have no power?

Honestly, I have not had anyone or any agency forcing,or even pushing, me to buy an EV. But I have repeatedly read how "they" are doing just that here on this forum.

I know several EV owners and all also have an ICE vehicle for doing what the EV cannot. They aren't expecting their EV to do what it is incapable of doing and then selling their ridiculous story to the media. They buy the EV to do what it can do and use their other vehicle for the rest.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
Probably better in General or ATC.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Nv Guy wrote:
While I am not anti EV, people (greenies & govt.) need to understand they are not for everyone and work in every situation. I read a similar story where the writer traveled from New Orleans to Chicago. They spent more time charging than they did sleeping.

I watched the news of the packed highways by people fleeing Hurricane Ian.
I wondered what would (will) happen if Just 50% of the vehicles were electric.
Will there be enough chargers to get people out of harms way?

I'm not opposed to electric vehicles. Like many, I don't like how they're being shoved down our throats. Hopefully they will have longer ranges in the near future.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Comical is an understatement.

To be clear, the majority of new EV’s sold would make that trip in one shot with range to spare with no charging. They took a short range commuter with slow recharge rate on a road trip. Go figure.

Oh, and when they do recharge it’s about 15 minutes to recharge that distance. Not 11 hours.

Great story though. :).

I think the more this is discussed, the better.

EVs are being pushed upon us as a replacement for ICEs. Many people will buy one thinking that it can do everything their car always has... Maybe a person is mainly a short distance commuter, but once in a while takes a roadtrip. This sort of person does not care how his car works, he just knows what it has always done for him/her.

The more the limitations are known, the more informed the public will become. And an informed public will make better decisions. About their purchases, and in the voting booth.

On this forum, we generally have enthusiests that become better informed about their passion. The general public is not being informed of the downsides by our Gov. or the people selling EVs.

So I say, keep discussing it, and not just here, everywhere. Get the entire story out there. The plusses, do not really need to be discussed, as the EV proponents are doing an excellent job getting their word out... The minuses need a lot of help to become known to the general public.
Those poor ignorant EV buyers.:R Quick Google of the demographics will show that they are superior to AvgJoe in the factors that might influence vehicle selection. :h

The early adopters of any new product are generally enthusiests.
The mainstream consumer comes along later. Those are the ones that need to be informed of just what they are getting into.

We are not quite yet there. But at the rate we are being pushed into EVs, it won't be long.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II