cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Comparing axle ratios

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
Well I put this off for too darn long and am now looking at 2017's. Today I drove an F250XLT Supercab, with the 6.2 gas engine and 3:73 axle ratio. I also drove a GMC SLE 2500HD double cab with the 6.0 gas engine and 4:10 axle ratio. The GMC rode a little nicer and seems plusher inside. The Ford sure felt like it had a lot more get up and go though. This could partly be due to the exhaust note of the Ford giving me a little thrill. Both have way more bells and whistles than I want, but unless I factory order one, I will have to take what I can get. I will be towing a 26'Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. Any one own one of these trucks? What are your impressions?
30 REPLIES 30

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
moresmoke wrote:
When considering gear ratios across brands these days, you also need to look at the transmission in the respective truck. The manufacturers have different strategies to get the power to the ground and work on fuel economy. If you have a higher ratio 1st gear, you don't need as much axle ratio.

Yes, this is what makes the Ford 6.2 shine best! Their 6-speed has a very good 1st gear, with excellent spacing going up in shifts. Even coupled with the 3.73, 1st gear could pull stumps.

Jerry

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
When considering gear ratios across brands these days, you also need to look at the transmission in the respective truck. The manufacturers have different strategies to get the power to the ground and work on fuel economy. If you have a higher ratio 1st gear, you don't need as much axle ratio.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i tow a 10K fifth wheel with a f250 6.2. i ordered it to get what I wanted. got the 4.30 diffy.

Now I have my reservations, since i understand that the trans in 5th with 3.73 is about equivalent to the 4.30 in 6th.

It seems that when I am cruising empty that beast get real hungry when the speedo goes over 70. :h

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I know that you are concerned about gear ratios and what gear you will be towing in with a gas engine. But while out there kicking tires, just consider a diesel. All that talk about gears will be a distant, unpleasant memory if you go that route.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The 6-speed transmission makes all the difference. The 6.2 has plenty of power, with the 3.73. Mine will kick down to 4th on a longer steep hill. I can actually tow in 6th, when not against the wind, but mileage is best in 5th, and avoids shifting up/down.

IMO, if you need more power than a 6.2/3.73, you may want to consider a diesel.

Jerry

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you do a lot of mountain traveling, the 3.73 will be great. I have the same engine and gear set-up in my 2013 F350 work truck I use for landscaping. I also used that same truck for pulling our former Work & Play. That was one heavy camper. The only things it didn't like were big hills. It handled them fine but it would rev quite a bit. But the 6.2 is a revving engine and it did what it was supposed to.

Mine now has 72,000 miles and it has never given me a single problem since day one. It tows my equipment trailers 95% of the time its on the road and its always been perfect. And yes, the exhaust note when you get on it does indeed sound sweet.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
They seem to be loading up even the lower trim levels now with lots of bells and whistles, because that is what most people want. But I agree with above, your dealer can check other dealers and may find what you want. Even competing dealers trade inventory to make sales if it benefits both dealers. Bought my DW a new Expedition a couple years ago. Local dealer did not have exactly what she wanted. So he scanned other dealer's inventory in the area and found one. He traded a new Transit van to the other dealer that he wanted, for his Expedition that my DW wanted. And at a good price yet. Everyone benefited. A good salesman will work with you to make a sale.

Or if you like doing so, you can check inventory at other area dealers via their web sites and direct your local salesman to try to work a trade.

GMH
Explorer
Explorer
I currently tow with an '06 2500HD with the 6.0 and 4:10 gears. It has a 4l80 4 speed auto I believe. I tow in 3rd most of the time and it will kick down to 2nd on fairly steep hills. That is why I am wondering if the 3:73 gears are too tall? They would certainly help mileage on the flatland, and I don't plan on doing a lot of traveling in the mountains...but plans change when you have beautiful vistas in front of you.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I tow with a similar truck 6.2/3.73, but a little bigger FW. You will have no issue towing the FW you mention. I tow in 5th gear most of the time, and get 8-10 mpg, usually 9+ at 62 mph.

I ordered mine, to get what I wanted. In my area SuperCabs are rare unless just a basic work truck. I think everyone loves the tone of the 6.2, but it is also very solid/trouble free, with ample power.

I think either truck you mentioned will work for you. You just need to decide which you like best.

Jerry

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd get the 4.30 if you go with the Ford, 4.10 in the Chevy. I had a Ram with the 6.4L Hemi and 4.10s and it pulled very well. You won't regret saving the 9k.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

4BIGAL
Explorer
Explorer
I went back and forth about the axle ratios also. I always wished I had 4.30 gears in my current truck. Came down to towing prowess vs better mileage. Last Saturday I ordered my new '17 XLT super duty with 6.2 & 4.3 rear end. I ordered it exactly how I wanted it including the XLT premium package. Dealer says 6-8 weeks for delivery. Can't wait as we have a 2 week trip to Orlando planned this summer. I tow a 9K loaded 36' trailer. Current V10 pulls great and has been trouble free. I bought it new in '06 and currently has just under 72k but the new truck will be my primary driver. Oldest daughter will be driving my daily focus pretty soon.

I was all set to buy a diesel but in the end decided the extra $9k and maintenance was not for me. I agree about the exhaust note of the 6.2. Much cooler sound than the drone of my V10. I just hope it tows as well.
2017 F-350, CREW, SRW, 6.2, 4.30, 4X4
2014 Coachmen 310BHDS

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I have a biased opinion towards the GMC. I had the 6.0 with 3.73, and love my 6.0 in my Express van. It tows my 9500lb trailer very well here in Michigan.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the OP's question, I have a 6.2 with 3.73 gears. Pulled our 35' Outback very nicely. Should have no problem pulling a 26'.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Bedlam
I am at the point that I just order what I want rather taking what is left on the lots. My choices seem to be too quirky to find what I want on any lot, but I will give the dealer a chance to see how close he can get. Here was an example of my F250 bellow. Every option is what I wanted and I did not pay for items I did not want. This was ordered late February of 2005 and was delivered early May of that year (about 10 weeks).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
yes, your dealer is pulling your leg, they have other dealers who may have the one you want and need.