Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering Purchasing a Used Travel Trailer

ckc3
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
Our family recently decided to take up a new hobby. Weve run the financials on both other hobbies, talked to owners themselves. Now i turn to you for your knowledge. Our list of hobbies is based on limited cashflow, so i will now list the details of the other two hobbies.

We looked into paintball. It was $2k startup cost purchasing gear, and $150 for a 1 day trip paintballing with two people. Owners said thr markers were extremely unreliable, said they would be in the shop more often than being played.

We looked into a 1989 open bow speedboat for $3000.Each fishing trip would have cost $75 a day. We have a 5.4l ford suv to tow with. Our 3 kids could have actually participated in this hobby with us. Problem is we have zero knowledge of boats. My husbands a diesel tech...he knows nothing of boats. Owners said boats of that age were nothing but money pits.

Now i come to you with travel trailers! Like i previously stated, we have a 5.4l suv to tow with. My husband can tow anything, says he can fix just about anything on a travel trailer. We were considering a 1990 30ft dutchman for $4,000 OR a 1998 24ft fleetwood tracker for $4300, or a 2004 26ft dutchman for $4500. Figuring $45-$50 to camp per night. Also trailer would just be stored outside on our property.

Now generally speaking, are these travel trailers considered huge money pits like boats? Obviously, we arent buy buying to make profits. We will use the trailer 12-20 times per year. Any input would be appreciated, we like to know what we are getting into.
59 REPLIES 59

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had the camping vs RVing discussion many times. They are two different sides of the same coin.

About the only thing they have in common is the both get you out of your home.

Bicycle and motorcycles both have two wheels but they are not the same either.

I love the convenience and comfort of my TT but I also understand the lure of tenting.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Hoosier_Daddy
Explorer
Explorer
.... and how many hotels let you have a campfire in your room?
TT: 2005 Coachmen 248TBG "Spirit of America"
TV: 2013 Ford F150 S/Cab 4X4

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ckc3 wrote:
boosTT wrote:
Wait a minute... were you thinking about taking 5 year old kids paintballing? LOL

Lmao. I wasnt going to take my 3 kids under 5 paintballing! That was going to be a hobby for just the husband and i.

I ran the numbers last night. I took the insurance premium, yearly registration, 2 sets of tires over ownership, camping fees, $400 yearly maintence allowance....divided it all up by 12 and added it together.

In the end it would cost $1400 a year to insure, register, camcampgroufees for 12 trips, $400 a year in maintence, money towards tires.

It would cost $1600-$1800 a year to stay in a hotel/cabin for 12 days a year. This option doesnt put stress on my truck or decrease fuel mileage.

I can give a full rundown on numbers later. Essentially, it would take 7 years to break even on a $5000 trailer....thats IF there were no major breakdowns. doesn't make much sense

Your calculations while accurate do not tell the whole story. If you are looking for the most economical hobby,pastime,or way to enjoy time with your family, It is not RV'ing.
However if you enjoy spending time outdoors,seeing the country one small town/area at a time,fishing, swimming,hiking,camp fires etc.
RVing is a great way to spend time with your family. There is a budget and style of camping for everyone,nevertheless you will not enjoy RV'ing if you approach it with a bean counter mentality.
People criss cross the country daily in all types of RV's. Most are aware they could save money simply using hotels however they enjoy the freedom,adventure,security and stability RV living provides.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is difficult to cost justify an RV. It is more of a mind set.

For 12 days a year I would probably just rent one when needed. Far less of a hassle.

No matter what you decide, nothing beats family time.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
"I can give a full rundown on numbers later. Essentially, it would take 7 years to break even on a $5000 trailer....thats IF there were no major breakdowns. doesn't make much sense"

In a nut shell, I think you have it..........
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rbpru writes โ€œIn my opinion a TT has only one great advantage; you are taking your house with you. Bed, bath, kitchen, television and microwave you name it. It is the ultimate in convenience if you like to travel.

But convenience comes at a cost; you are no longer camping, you are RVing. They definitely are not the same.

If my goal was to take my kids fishing, my TT wins hands down. If my goal is to โ€œventure forth into the wildernessโ€ my TT would be my last choice.โ€

Hmm, dictionary seems to disagree that with your definition of โ€œcampingโ€..

DEFINITION

"noun, often attributive \?kamp\

Definition of CAMP

1a : a place usually away from urban areas where tents or simple buildings (as cabins) are erected for shelter or for temporary residence (as for laborers, prisoners, or vacationers)
b : a group of tents, cabins, or huts
c : a settlement newly sprung up in a lumbering or mining region
d : a place usually in the country for recreation or instruction often during the summer ; also : a program offering access to recreational or educational facilities for a limited period of time
e : a preseason training session for athletes

verb
Definition of CAMP
intransitive verb
1: to make camp or occupy a camp
2: to live temporarily in a camp or outdoors โ€”often used with out
3: to take up one's quarters : lodge
4: to take up one's position : settle down โ€”often used with out
transitive verb
: to put into a camp; also : accommodate
First Known Use of CAMP

So in reality ANY temporary SHELTER no matter the design or materials used can be consider as camping.. From a tarp draped over a rope between two trees, to multi-million dollar rolling palaces on wheels can all be considered as camping.."

โ€œRVโ€ is a modern day ABREVIATION for Recreational Vehicle and โ€œRVingโ€ is pretty much a slang term describing the use of a RV..

DEFINITION OF RV

"RV
noun \?รคr-?v?\
Definition of RV
: recreational vehicle
See RV defined for English-language learners ยป
See RV defined for kids ยป
Examples of RV

First Known Use of RV
Related to RV

Synonyms
caravan, motor home, recreational vehicle, camper, trailer"

Pleas kindly note one of the synonyms of RV is CAMPER..

As you can see, many words in the English language are often used interchangeably..

RVing and camping are not mutually exclusive.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I think somebody has already said it, but I didn't buy my motorhomes and TT as an investment. years back the RV association ran a TV ad somewhat to the effect, "How many life long friends have you made in your hotel room?"
bumpy

ckc3
Explorer
Explorer
boosTT wrote:
Wait a minute... were you thinking about taking 5 year old kids paintballing? LOL

Lmao. I wasnt going to take my 3 kids under 5 paintballing! That was going to be a hobby for just the husband and i.

I ran the numbers last night. I took the insurance premium, yearly registration, 2 sets of tires over ownership, camping fees, $400 yearly maintence allowance....divided it all up by 12 and added it together.

In the end it would cost $1400 a year to insure, register, camcampgroufees for 12 trips, $400 a year in maintence, money towards tires.

It would cost $1600-$1800 a year to stay in a hotel/cabin for 12 days a year. This option doesnt put stress on my truck or decrease fuel mileage.

I can give a full rundown on numbers later. Essentially, it would take 7 years to break even on a $5000 trailer....thats IF there were no major breakdowns. doesn't make much sense

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you guys scared off another one. I sent her a PM and she hasn't read it yet.

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer.

I find your tent camping comment interesting. My wife, kids and grandkids have been canoe/campers for over 20 years; long enough for the grandkids to take over the work load.

The very things you point out are what allow you the freedom of travel.

However, if your goal is high dry ground and access to conveniences a PUP is a good choice. It still has the feeling of camping.

In my opinion a TT has only one great advantage; you are taking your house with you. Bed, bath, kitchen, television and microwave you name it. It is the ultimate in convenience if you like to travel.

But convenience comes at a cost; you are no longer camping, you are RVing. They definitely are not the same.

If my goal was to take my kids fishing, my TT wins hands down. If my goal is to โ€œventure forth into the wildernessโ€ my TT would be my last choice.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Renting to see if you actually like it is a great idea.

Your truck has a tongue weight limit of 900 pounds due to the rear end. That generally means you can tow a 5500 pound dry weight trailer loaded to weigh 7000 lbs and be within the 900 pound tongue weight limit. That will also leave enough payload for you, the kids, travel bag of goodie and a small cooler. put the rest in the trailer.

Our trailer is 25 ft, weighs 4200 lbs dry, has no slide but does have two bunks so while it gets cramped on rainy days, it is functional and very easy for either of our Expeditions to tow.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Hoosier_Daddy
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised there hasn't been more suggestion on buying from a private party instead of a dealer. When we decided to move up to a TT from our Pop-up, I watched Craigslist and the free Auto/RV Trader magazine for several months. We looked at a few but finally found ours (see my sig) for $4000. It was a one owner by an elderly couple and in excellent shape! So they are out there if you are patient.

Then also consider all the "stuff" you'll need to go along with the initial purchase. I got a $300 cart waiting on Amazon and like I said I came from a Pop-up so already have a lot of camping acessories. Electric brake controler, Sewer hose and clean out, fresh water hose, weight distribution hitch, shore power surge protector, are "needs" then come the "wants" camp chairs, pie irons, dutch oven, fire tri-pod, etc.

Also as far as "money pits", there will be maintenance. Not a matter of "if" but "when" it needs repair, new or used. I was an auto tech and if your husband can work on diesels, fix things around the house, a TT is a piece of cake.
TT: 2005 Coachmen 248TBG "Spirit of America"
TV: 2013 Ford F150 S/Cab 4X4

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Boating in a small speedboat is not, from my observations, much fun for kids under 5. We have a 38 foot sailboat - on there the kids could run around and play when they were small.

It sounds like you have got a handle on your finances. Each 2 say weekend camping would cost at high end 80 for the site and 30 for fuel (8MPG at $3/gal) for $110 per weekend.

If your diesel mechanic is like my son in law diesel mechanic he'll have no problem doing repairs and maintenance on a trailer. That save a lot of money. He likely has experience towing as well.

It is critical to know the weights of your SUV so you know what tongue weight you can handle. You must weight your SUV loaded to get this info.

A smaller bunkhouse unit should fit your needs quite well. With the bunkhouse you have storage at the back so you can avoid having an extremely heavy tongue as some other layouts tend to have.

My nephew has 3 kids under 5. They tried camping with a tent trailer. That is now gone and they have a travel trailer. It makes it much easier to get ready to go, to set up and knock down and provides enough space even if ti rains. They and their kids really like it.

If your finances work and your truck can handle it go for it.

You and your kids are only young once.

Enjoy - every minute.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

ronanshea
Explorer
Explorer
Dutchman s are good campers, that's what we have a 97 30 footclassic..was pulling it 75-100 miles one way with a half ton chevy witha 5.3 no issues at all we decided to invest in a lil land lot on the lake and bought it to park the camper on year round. Now we just purchased a pontoon to fish with.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
97 dutchman 300 classic
Parked at our lakelot at bull shoals lake
04 silverado 1500 z71 ext cab
07 landau fishn toon
Dw shea
Dd snickys the mutt
Dd dieago the chiwawa