cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controller for Lithium Batteries

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I will be installing a modest solar system on my trailer consisting of 300 watts solar with 200ah of lithium batteries. I am trying to make a decision on the controller. I'm looking at Epever tracer that says it is lithium compatible. But as in many controllers reviewers say tricky to program for lithium. Any thoughts? I should mention I used a Renogy Rover on my last trailer with flooded batteries and it pooped the bed in the middle of my long journey. So I am leary of them. And not looking to break the bank.
7 REPLIES 7

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Epever would not be my choice. I read too many troubles. One step below Renogy.
Can't go wrong with Victron.
I have a Morningstar that is going strong close to 15 years. Very easy to reprogram for lithium.


I have the Epever that has been working fine for the last 14 years.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
I just spoke with Morningstar. Lithiums can be complicated and they have good tech support. I will follow up later. wicked expensive though.
Also looking at Victron Smart 100/30. I watched a video and it seems not too hard to set up for lithiums. One video suggested setting absorbtion rate at around 13.4.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
time2roll wrote:
Epever would not be my choice. I read too many troubles. One step below Renogy.
Can't go wrong with Victron.
I have a Morningstar that is going strong close to 15 years. Very easy to reprogram for lithium.


I think there a lot more than one step below renogy haha..

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Epever would not be my choice. I read too many troubles. One step below Renogy.
Can't go wrong with Victron.
I have a Morningstar that is going strong close to 15 years. Very easy to reprogram for lithium.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
deadticket8 wrote:
looking at Epever tracer that says it is lithium compatible. But as in many controllers reviewers say tricky to program for lithium.
You don't want 'tricky' to program. But a programmable controller is what you want, one that can either drastically shorten absorb time or eliminate it completely.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Victron makes solar charge controllers which have a good reputation - recommended by Battle Born for their batteries.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
deadticket8 wrote:
Hello everyone. I will be installing a modest solar system on my trailer consisting of 300 watts solar with 200ah of lithium batteries. I am trying to make a decision on the controller. I'm looking at Epever tracer that says it is lithium compatible. But as in many controllers reviewers say tricky to program for lithium. Any thoughts? I should mention I used a Renogy Rover on my last trailer with flooded batteries and it pooped the bed in the middle of my long journey. So I am leary of them. And not looking to break the bank.


its hard to say.. I use the renogy rover 30 amp MPPT for 3 years now and it has been nothing but perfect. Now everyone I know is using them and no one has had issues so maybe you just had a defective one, how long were you using it till it crapped out? I know of 8 of them that have been going between 2 and 3 years now from my friends getting them after I did. for there price you could buy two of them for the same as one victron.

If you don't want to try another thats cool, I would recomend Victron then, as I suspect the Epever is mad by the same manufacturer as renogy, but renogy has a custom plastic cover. if you look at the shap, heat sink, mounting, display, termanals, there all the same.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100