cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool!! A Truck with a 3rd row installed for cheap.

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this is old news to some but it's new to me. For those out there looking for towing heavy and needing 3 rows of seats this is a very cool option. So this company out of Ft. Worth makes custom fiberglass sleepers that also has seating options. From what I understand they run about $2,500. So you can take any truck out there and add an additional row of seats. This is good to know for future TV hunting. Other than loosing a little bed space does anyone see a downside to this?

http://cowtownsleepers.com/sleepers.html
10 REPLIES 10

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
4x4ord wrote:
I think some states still allow passengers to ride in a fifth wheel trailer. When our kids were young we had a truck with a bench seat in front, so, 4 in the back and three up front worked well. At that time so long as you used the seat belts that you had you were legal. It might still be that way?

I think everyone has to have their own individual seat belt, no sharing. I know of no trucks with 4 belts in the rear bench seat.

That said, we used to stack up old couch cushions in the back of the old 1979 Chevy Blazer and use that as 3rd row seating and head into the city. We used to pile into the back of an open pickup and ride up the lake to go boating. We used to ride in the back of the truck under the cattle racks to go garage saleing with Mom, the neighbor, and her five kids. 8 kids total.

But it was also a different time and place. Mostly out in the country. The biggest distraction was an AM-FM radio. Prescription drugs consisted of amoxicillin. People drove 25MPH on back roads. You didn't have drivers staring at their smartphones, sleep-deprived and on seventeen different prescription drugs all interacting with each other.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

trossiv
Explorer
Explorer
There is a truck similar to this I see driving around in my area. Not sure who did the conversion but it looks factory

Not sure what the pic size specs are. I just linked to an image I found. Update: Tried resizing to 640x480. Update 2: Well that was a squatty looking truck. Here's the link instead.

6 Door Super Duty

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think some states still allow passengers to ride in a fifth wheel trailer. When our kids were young we had a truck with a bench seat in front, so, 4 in the back and three up front worked well. At that time so long as you used the seat belts that you had you were legal. It might still be that way?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's no different than the sleeper on an otr tractor but riding back there gets old after a while especially for kids. Then there is the lack of restraints, I came off the upper bunk in a sudden stop while riding with a trucker buddy. It wasn't pleasant.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those are nothing new, theyโ€™re been around for decades.
If you need an affordable three row pickup truck just watch the truck trader for a used late model custom conversion and buy it. But beware, theyโ€™re loooooong....
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bed space......turns a long bed into a short bed so you end up crushing it with 5th wheel front cap when making turns or maneuvers when backing in

Then the issues of comfort/safety/restraints

PASS
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
No way I'd put my kids back there and get on the road. It isn't just occupant restraint, either - what about a rollover or if you get t-boned? That part of the truck isn't designed to protect occupants. That's a risk I'll take with the family dog but not the kids.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

anw7405
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm. That's a good point. I found this about DOT approved sleepers. I wonder how this stacks up to standard crash regulations.

Occupant restraint. A motor vehicle manufactured on
>or after
>July 1, 1971, and equipped with a sleeper berth must be
>equipped with a
>means of preventing ejection of the occupant of the sleeper
>berth during
>deceleration of the vehicle. The restraint system must be
>designed,
>installed, and maintained to withstand a minimum total force
>of 6,000
>pounds applied toward the front of the vehicle and parallel
>to the
>longitudinal axis of the vehicle.

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is people will regret having their kids in there after a wreak. Please don't put anyone in there. You might as well have them on the hood - just as safe in a wreak.
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
CLICKY

Interesting. I don't think I would want to travel very far on one of those seats. But, it may be good for kids.