cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

Desperado359
Explorer
Explorer
kraushad wrote:
I added a wall light switch to one of the overhead 12V lights -- our camper didn't have a wall switch when you entered, so I ran some lamp cord and added my own switch to make it easier to see entering/exiting after dark... nothing to write home about, but more convenient, and looks nice enough to get the coveted "Wifey seal of approval."

This is where I mounted my wall switch, I think the railing add a bit more class to the 5th wheel
1995 Ram CTD 2500 SLT, 5 Speed, 4X4, 3.54, ATS manifold. B-D 4" Exhaust Brake, 4" Exhaust, Mach 3 EDM's, 191 DV's, Street โ€œOโ€ plate, 215 pump, 3K GSK, Isspro EV. Boost, EGT, gauge set, 502Hp Dt 8/2007 5th wheel mods
2001 24' 5Th wheel Cougar single slider

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
JeffBett wrote:
In the last couple of weeks, I have done so many mods they would fill a page. I decided to just put them on my family website for all to see.

My Mods

Most my mods are for storage optimization. After doing so many and getting into almost ever inch of my new TT I feel I really know it better and will be able to maintain it better now. One thing I learned is that they don't know what a vacuum is at the factory. I bet I sucked out more then 2 lbs of sawdust, cutout scraps, trim, and extra screws, etc. from the areas they figure we will never see.

Jeff,

I'm just now reading all of this thread and those are some great mods and like you I'm sort of maximizing the storage and convenience type thing and you have done some great mods.

Hats Off to you and great pics.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Luvnevryminutofit wrote:
Thanks to RVSnowbird and Pulsar, I think I can post some pics now. I had to move my spare tire to the TT passthru when I built my rear bike rack. Since it ate up too much space I went with a new plan. A friend acquired a Ford spare tire winch from an old truck and I cleaned it up. welded in some angle irons and now I have:

While I was in the area I added abattery cutoff switch

Hopefully, more to come!

One word of advice. Being a Ford owner with the winch quite a few have failed and dropped their spares with one when towing that did a horrendous amount of damage to the TT ... broken holding tanks, both axles bent and needing replacement and more undercarriage damage ... gas and/or water lines. Likewise some not towing lost their spare and never knew it until they either had a flat or had the need to access it. It might never be an issue with the weight difference in the spares weight from a large truck type tire (probably 100+ lbs.) vs. a much lighter TT spare (less than 50 lbs). Also, always keep some pressure on those Ford spare tire winches since they can bind up and even destroy the cable causing a potential failure or you can end up not being to either lower or raise the tire. I have taken one apart and the problem is the cable is large enough that with will try and unwind w/o tension and jump the nylon holder tracks. I have experience in that since I have the T-shirt and headaches that went along with it. I had to the stock one replace and even the replacment went bad and had to tear it apart and find the actual issues with it. I would recommend using something to positively secure that spare in case of winch failure. On my Van I used crossed chains up to some frame cross members. On my TT I used some much lighter chains, but still secured to the trailer and not 100% dependent on only the winch. One key is whatever secondary method you use is once in place use the winch and lower the tire to see how it will ride with the winch force off with your secondary holding system. You don't want it trying to stand up right under the hitch area.

A dropped spare from my Van or trailer while towing would do thousands of dollars damage to my trailer and potentially causing a loss of control situation.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

kraushad
Explorer
Explorer
I added a wall light switch to one of the overhead 12V lights -- our camper didn't have a wall switch when you entered, so I ran some lamp cord and added my own switch to make it easier to see entering/exiting after dark... nothing to write home about, but more convenient, and looks nice enough to get the coveted "Wifey seal of approval."

Dirk
Myself (37), my Wife(35), "The Boy"(5), & "The Girl" (1)
06 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab, 5.3L V8, 3.42rear
05 30QBSS Trail-Cruiser, Prodigy BC, Reese Dual Cam W/D

MicDuran
Explorer
Explorer
Built a drawer under one of the dinette bench seats. Upgraded stereo (which required a new cupboard panel).
Will post pics next week.
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire? :h
Happy Camping,
Michelle

woodyjr8
Explorer
Explorer
getting some great ideas from you guys....
I'll share some of mine but, I have no pics yet.

Removed dinette and installed duel recliner(ok, previous owners did that)but we love it. We eat outside when we camp anyways!

Removed carpet/linoleum and put down wood laminate flooring and turned bed 90* to make more room.

Removed rusty old safety chains, replaced with cables(much cleaner looking).

Changed taillights to LED(6" oval fit in standard housing with slight modification).

Tossed out cheap looking plastic faucets, installed chrome fixture and added sprayer.

(My Fav) I added 12volt, flush-mount white lights at each stabilizer jack and over sewer connection, no more juggling a flash light while setting up after dark(later I will upgrade to LED's).I mounted them in the rocker panel facing down for a "flood light" effect.

This is our first TT, came up from a pop up, so I hate cranking! TT came with electric tounge jack, so it was only right to get a 3/8" socket/drill adapter and a 3/4" socket for the jacks.

I installed a pair of 55wt driving lights up by the rear marker lights and wired into the chasis harness for back-up lights...
2001 27' Rockwood T8272S TT
2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins 610, 4x4 QC(bone stock)

skippy102162
Explorer
Explorer
So lantley, forgive my ignorance...what does this look like inside...how is it connected into the power inside the trailer?
๐Ÿ˜‰

DH 1959
ME 1962
2 DS home
1 DS college
1 DD college grad living and working in Omaha
2 DS ๐Ÿ™‚ 2 DDIL ๐Ÿ™‚ 2 grand babies

2000 Dodge Ram Van 1500
1998 Jayco 12 UD ST
Eureka Tent
Before our current PUP, had a 2005 Jayco Hybrid and a 92 Coleman PUP.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Additional 20amp cord inlet. I can run a seperate 20amp cord in addition to my normal 30 amp cord to th interior of TT for use with space heater can also be used with hair dryer etc. I can use two large draw appliances at the same time with no breaker tripping worries. 20 amp cord comes in out of sight beneath dinnette booth on interior.

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Curb side water from using point drains. Very Convenient no going inside or walking around to the other side of the trailer to get water for cooking, dishes etc.

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

In_The_Dawghous
Explorer
Explorer
I went back to Big Lots today and got shelves for Susies closet and a shelf for my Reynolds wrap and bags. Please don't let me go back to Big Lots! I have an addiction.

Gordon, Susie, Diane, Catie, Susan, Shawn, Annie, Jessi, Keith, Selena.(Yes, 8 kids)
1 Dog Bonnie.
96 Rexhall Aerbus Class A (The Dawghouse II)

Castaway Campers site

Our Photos

skippy102162
Explorer
Explorer
Nice mods! Willouby, where'd you get those nice wooden shelves?
๐Ÿ˜‰

DH 1959
ME 1962
2 DS home
1 DS college
1 DD college grad living and working in Omaha
2 DS ๐Ÿ™‚ 2 DDIL ๐Ÿ™‚ 2 grand babies

2000 Dodge Ram Van 1500
1998 Jayco 12 UD ST
Eureka Tent
Before our current PUP, had a 2005 Jayco Hybrid and a 92 Coleman PUP.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Geez, I suck - I got excited when I put stick-on LED lights in all my exterior cubbies to compensate for the lack of factory lights.

Oh yeah, I put a stick-on towel holder in the bathroom.

I can see that I'm going to have lots of ideas for the spring, though. ๐Ÿ™‚
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

In_The_Dawghous
Explorer
Explorer
The weekend wasn't a total loss. I got a couple of things done that I wanted to.

I added organizers to the closet. $15 at Big Lots.

I added clips to hold my broom and flashlight.

Gordon, Susie, Diane, Catie, Susan, Shawn, Annie, Jessi, Keith, Selena.(Yes, 8 kids)
1 Dog Bonnie.
96 Rexhall Aerbus Class A (The Dawghouse II)

Castaway Campers site

Our Photos

willoughby
Explorer
Explorer
After installing a set of 6 volt batteries and the box, I needed a gauge to monitor them with. So, I installed a digital voltmeter (Cyberdyne) next to my fuel gauge. I had the charger hooked up when I took this picture, that is why the voltmeter reads high (the converter was on...The Sentinel charger shows a charge rate of 14.4-14.6 volts when charging.

This gauge will also start to flash "LO" when the voltage drops to 12.0 volts. You have the option to start the flashing anywhere between 10.0-12.0 volts.

I also installed a FM Modulator behind the radio so I can get my TV satellite XM radio stations anywhere I go with a flip of the toggle switch. This way, when my satellite box and radio are on, I can get any XM station through my radio speakers either inside or outside the RV. All I do is pick the XM station I want to listen to on the TV, flip the switch on, turn radio on, tune to station 87.9 or 88.3 and turn the TV off.

I will also be installing a 12v power outlet on the battery box and have already attached a Sentinel 4-stage battery charger inside the box.

Here is 12v fan I put up next to the TV; shelf below fan and paper plate holder under cabinet:

And the curtains I put up over the bunk windows:

Straps attached to walls in rear to hold up tables, chairs, umbrellas, etc....

I drilled a hole in the sofa back rest support so it could be secured
before going to the full open position. This way, one person can sleep there with more room and the ladder for the bunk bed can still be used.

I bought and installed 2 propane tank gauges.

I put up 2 magazine racks, a clock and small shelves

Here is the counter extension, range extender and sink cover for added counter space

Mike_Schriber
Explorer
Explorer
What's going on!? People run out of mods?

Okay, here's what's new and improved this weekend...

I installed a Xantrex XBM battery system monitor. It a great too for dry camping and really lets you know what is going on with your batteries. I installed the display panel by the door right next to my radio...

You can also see the new two switch panel I installed. One switch is for the radio (which turns on whenever someone bumps it, which is all the time) and the other is for my new step light. I'll have pictures of the light itself as soon as it shows up and I can install it!

I installed the shut and assorted wiring in the battery box...

Speaking of the battery box, I installed a battery cut-off switch a while ago but never put up pictures. This is the three dollar special from Harbor Freight and it works great...

Last but not least, I replaced my rear scissor jacks with new BAL "C" Jack leveler/stabilizers. I'm going to put them up front too but I wanted to try the easier install first (I have to do some customization for the front)...

Nothing like working under the trailer in a ton of ash.

Well, that's what I did this weekend... what about you!?

Mike
2006 Damon Daybreak 3276 37' bunkhouse