cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
Mic_bug wrote:
welove2drive wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
welove2drive wrote:
Hello everyone,
We are pretty new to the TT world as we have tent camped for over 20 years after getting out of pop up.(never going to do that again)
We did our first mod to the 2002 Flagstaff 23'. Had to have more room in the shower so we picked up a curved hotel shower rod which we cut down to fit and a support bracket for the center. The way our shower is at the rear corner of the trailer it has the curve of the roof in it so we took the shower rod to the side wall where it is flat. Real happy with the way it turned out although we have not used it yet. Here are a few pics of the finished product. Each end of the rod was pre bent. I used the bent end of the smaller tube to make the bend to go to the side wall and just cut the pipe to length and drilled a new hole for the mount. The support bracket was found in the curtain rod isle at Lowes. I drilled a hole where the two tubes went together and installed a SS #10 srew and nut and capped it with a rubber cap to act as a stop for the curtain rings. I tried to bend the tube with a conduit bender and all it did was kink, this was before I used the end already bent buy the manufacturer.

I hope you have fixed what appears to be some fairly serious leakage in the roof area in those pics from the wavy ceiling panels. That doesn't bode well down the road.

Larry

We had a few things to repair when we got the trailer. One of which was track down some leaks. Gotta love it. I am happy with the way the shower rod turned out and hope to try it out yet this year.
Dave

I'd agree...ceiling there is pretty wavey

Well we got to try out our new shower rod this weekend. Man what an improvement. Had so much room in the shower I almost asked the DW to join me, (well maybe not that much more room), but well worth the time it took to do the mod. I would recemend this mod to anyone and everyone.
And thanks for the 2 positive replies and for noticing the obvious.
Happy camping everyone.
Dave
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

sdavis622
Explorer
Explorer
DavidP wrote:
Lantley wrote:
sonicsix wrote:
sdavis622 wrote:
Well, first I am no electrician! I saw this done on another forum, or by another member, can't recall. Basically I just figured it to be a hard mounted extension cord. Most electrical posts at campgrounds have breaker on the 20a plug so I figured that would cover it. Maybe I should add a GFCI... never thought about that! Thanks for the insight. Like I said I am no electrician, and this seemed simple enough.

I did this mod a while back, and I used 14 AWG wire. This outlet is used for a toaster oven, a griddle or a hair dryer. Always one at a time, so overloading the wire is not a worry. The cords on the appliances are much thinner than the 14 AWG wire I used to wire the outlet.

The issue has nothing to do with the cord on the appliance. The issue involves protection on the circuit. Sdavis22 installed 15 amp wire on a 20amp circuit. In the event of an overload the 20 amp breaker will not trip until 20 amps however the wire will begin to heat when the current exceeds its 15 amp rating. This heat has the potential to start a fire. 14 wire is designed to work on a 15 amp circuit not a 20 amp circuit. 12 wire is rated for a 20 amp circuit.

Keep in mind if your appliance has a short in its cord or anywhere else the circuit,the breaker is designed to trip. If the wire is not properly matched to the breaker the circuit may never trip. The wire will heat up just like it is part of the toaster. Only instead of toasting bread it may toast your RV. Using an underrated wire is just plain wrong and a potential hazard. All Romex wire is not created equal. They make different wire for different applications.

Sound advice and an easy fix.

Thanks to all of you for the advice... like I said not an electrician. So, based on everything you all have said... would it be easier to go through trailer and add an extra breaker and GFCI, or upgrade wire to 12awg and add GFCI.

Basically I considered this the same as running an extension cord from the post into the trailer which a lot of people have told me they've done. Instead, I ran 14awg extension cord through a hole wired directly to an outlet, then romex to another outlet in the bathroom. Bypassing the trailer all together. I thought 14awg to be sufficient, priced it by the foot with a plug to attach, but an employee at a big box store showed me a 14awg 50' extension cord that made it way cheaper, and the plugs were already attached... so I just assumed that would work. Good thing I have all of you to back me up!
2020 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi
2020 Alpha Wolf 26DBH-L

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
Someone nees a new camera:p

Oh yeah?

Just a new brain - I accidentally linked to the thumbnails til I saw the blur. :S

Fixed now...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Someone nees a new camera:p
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a few of my mods... Some I thought up myself, some ideas I got from this forum. :C

One of the greatest improvements is the Fantastic vent we put in the bathroom:

I partitioned off an area under one of the beds for the cats' litter box:

So they could get in and out I took off the door and made a curtain:

Replaced most of our incandescent lights with LEDs - here is a reading light:

Here is an overhead replacement for an 1156:

Here is another replacement for an 1156 - this one is a bunch of LEDs on a circuit board - very bright:

I replaced the stereo with this one that has a USB connection and Aux input so we can watch movies on our laptop with surround sound:

Put up hooks to hang shirts and stuff that we are going to wear again:

Removed the microwave and put in a much smaller one to get extra room for other stuff:

Put up a magazine rack in the living area:

Moved the light over, installed a paper towel holder, a dish towel holder and a soap dispenser:

Put up an expandable towel bar in the shower and added shampoo and soap dispensers:

Put up a plastic tissue holder and got some plastic storage thingies for combs, toothpaste, etc.

Installed a crossbar for the screen door, and made a cat barrier to keep the cats from accidentally getting out into the cold cruel world:

Another magazine/book rack for the bedroom:

Hung up a little "Welcome Aboard" plaque since our trailer looks like an upside down boat:

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Ed_ke6bnl
Explorer
Explorer
I cut the water bottle in half and put it over the ball.

IrishPam
Explorer
Explorer
I use a simple black rubberized cover.
I picked up 2 of them at our dealer.
Something like this......

Hitch Ball Cover
Pam & Sharon
Sometimes William & Nanny Madge
Bella(Yellow Lab/Golden Mix), Piper(Black Lab mix),
Rusty(Red tick Coon Hound), Lacy (Border Collie)
Nigel(Shih Tzu)
2002 Itasca Sundancer 27P
2002 Yukon XL SLT with Timbrens
2008 Jay Feather 31V

campin4kids
Explorer
Explorer
We use a baggie.
2003 Avalanche
1992 29S Wilderness
Steve 51, Me, Deb 51,
DS 22, DD 19, DD 17, DD 15

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
A tennis ball will do the same thing and is a bit more durable.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Another Kinda-sorta mod. During recent 1,800 mi trip I got grease on pants more than once from hitch ball. Medium foam coffee cup was the answer. Removed a bit of rim to make cup shorter and pressed upsidedown cup onto greasy ball. Six or seven campsites later the same cup is still doing the job. Unexpected benefits: I put fresh grease in bottom of cup and regrease ball eveytime I put the cup back on and white cup is much easier to see with backup camera, so much so that I will paint front of hitch white also.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

toprudder
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion. When quoting someone's post, remove the pictures. No need to see them twice (or three, or four times). Saves scrolling. ๐Ÿ™‚
Bob, Martha, and Matt.
Tucker, the Toy Poodle
'09 K-Z MXT20, '07 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Toprudder.com

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
TreeSeeker wrote:
It would seem that the extension cord from the outlet post to the RV also needs to be at least 12 guage wire.

That is correct.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
It would seem that the extension cord from the outlet post to the RV also needs to be at least 12 guage wire.

DavidP
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
sonicsix wrote:
sdavis622 wrote:
Well, first I am no electrician! I saw this done on another forum, or by another member, can't recall. Basically I just figured it to be a hard mounted extension cord. Most electrical posts at campgrounds have breaker on the 20a plug so I figured that would cover it. Maybe I should add a GFCI... never thought about that! Thanks for the insight. Like I said I am no electrician, and this seemed simple enough.

I did this mod a while back, and I used 14 AWG wire. This outlet is used for a toaster oven, a griddle or a hair dryer. Always one at a time, so overloading the wire is not a worry. The cords on the appliances are much thinner than the 14 AWG wire I used to wire the outlet.

The issue has nothing to do with the cord on the appliance. The issue involves protection on the circuit. Sdavis22 installed 15 amp wire on a 20amp circuit. In the event of an overload the 20 amp breaker will not trip until 20 amps however the wire will begin to heat when the current exceeds its 15 amp rating. This heat has the potential to start a fire. 14 wire is designed to work on a 15 amp circuit not a 20 amp circuit. 12 wire is rated for a 20 amp circuit.

Keep in mind if your appliance has a short in its cord or anywhere else the circuit,the breaker is designed to trip. If the wire is not properly matched to the breaker the circuit may never trip. The wire will heat up just like it is part of the toaster. Only instead of toasting bread it may toast your RV. Using an underrated wire is just plain wrong and a potential hazard. All Romex wire is not created equal. They make different wire for different applications.

Sound advice and an easy fix.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
sonicsix wrote:
sdavis622 wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637