cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cool Mods - Thread restored 10/18/2012

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
My daughter was getting a little warm in her bunk during our last camping trip, so I decided to put her a fan in to keep the air flowing.

I had been wanting to add a 12-volt fan to the main living area anyway, so I decided to tackle both jobs today. A trip to Wal-Mart for two fans($8.48 each) and we're halfway there.

She picked the spot, and I got to work -

I picked up the power from her overhead light. All I have left is to install a short piece of wire cover and I'm done -

I added one in the main area -

I dropped by Lowe's and found this cool soap dispenser. I also just installed these Pop-a-Toothbrush holders -

I added a sopa dispenser to the kitchen area as well. I also installed a Pop-a-Napkin under the radio -

Here's an easy mod. I found this over the door towel rack at Walmart and it works great -

Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD
2,727 REPLIES 2,727

WeAreFive
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Have you had any time to go camping? :B

11 days so far this year and going this Sunday on a trip for 4 weeks in a row 😉

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
WeAreFive wrote:
New to the forums. TT is a 2017 Keystone Bullet 287QBS. Got is last September. Lots of mods already....

Have you had any time to go camping? :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Glamping
Explorer
Explorer
WeAreFive ~ We bought a Keystone Bullet a couple years ago and have made many of the mods you have: 4 sets of hooks here and there, many battery-powered LED lights, shelves in closets, including the small ones beside the beds, slide topper, Fantastic Fans, memory foam mattress pad … DH also built 6 drawers where deep, inaccessible cupboards were, modified the bench seat by the door into part shoe shelf, added remote to bathroom fan which otherwise had to be turned on manually by stepping into the shower (not convenient when you discover you’re making a stink) … I don’t think I’ll be requesting a “mouse entry” however! LOL

WeAreFive
Explorer
Explorer
New to the forums. TT is a 2017 Keystone Bullet 287QBS. Got is last September. Lots of mods already. Here is the list.

Trailer

Being an Ultra Lite, the day I took it out of the dealer and brought it home for the kids to "visit" the bunkhouse, one of the bunk ended-up like this.

I used birch plywood that I stained and heavy duty hinges to reinforce the bunk. Now I can sleep in it.

Next was to install MaxAir II as well as 200W of solar panels as we often dry camp. I used Eternabond tape for the solar panels. Wires go in through fridge exhaust, routed under the belly to the pass through storage.

Charge controller

Remote inside

Then a few USB ports to charge our devices, fed from 12V.

A few LED in dark cabinets

High quality mattress with memory foam

Tongue jack

Fans for the fridge with a switch accessible from the outside

LEDs everywhere (not shown but I also did the fridge and the range hood)

Painted the drums, they were rusty

There is no fender or protection above the wheels, only the thin plastic sheet. I sprayed rubber.

Multiple hooks

Shelves in several cabinets (not all shown) all made of birch plywood.
Washroom cabinet shelf and paper holder

Wife wanted to keep the hanger but I added a shelf above

I got rid of it and installed 2 shelves on my side

Recent addition is a pair of leveler. I used 2x8 that I ran through my planner and laminated together.
Varnish

Rubber spay for the bottom

The finished product (cat not included)

Next on the list
- Wheel chocks (under construction)
- 30A mouse entry
- Tongue box to house my battery(ies) and tools
- Gas strut so my wife can access the under-bed storage
- Counter extension
- More LEDs in dark cabinets
- Access door to the hot water heater from inside
- Slide topper

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
I agree CB, it is a very good thread.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

2Rad4U
Explorer II
Explorer II
11 years have gone by and I'm happy to see this thread still going!!!
Chris
2005 Rockwood 2516G (sold)
2005 Max-Lite 24RS (sold)
2019 Rockwood 2608BS (sold)
2020 Grand Design 337RLS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Easiest and least expensive mod ever:

Screen door handle / towel rack
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

nadkaw1957
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry - post in error
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2250RK
2018 Toyota Tundra 5.7L

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
A/C Replacement:

How to R&R a Roof A/C unit

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Screen Door handle, applies to ANY RV:

Screen Door Handle upgrade

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
My fresh water tank drain valve has always been difficult to turn, not to mention hard for my big monkey paws to grab and I can never remember which way is open or closed. The handle finally broke off so I replaced it with a stainless beer keg tap. Big handle and easy to open, flows more, and I definitely know which way is on and off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TD1HNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA83 wrote:

Wondering how to put one of these in on a flat wall with no stud close by, need to put a TV on a wall but don't want to bolt through the wall to the bath room.

Interior walls could be 3/4" thick or 1-1/2" thick. Ours are all 1-1/2" except for cabinet walls. A bathroom wall can be thicker because there is a vent pipe to the roof in it. If there is an electrical outlet/switch, thermostat, etc. on the wall, remove it to see what the depth is. A wall with a door in it is also thicker.

To find studs on an interior wall, press the wall paneling in to see where it flexes , and where it doesn't is likely where the studs are. Look for the telltale sign of staples in a vertical row. A stud finder may or may not work (have not had luck myself).

What many have done where there is no factory backer plate is use a piece of plywood to span 2 studs and then install a TV mount of your choice to the plywood. TVs used in RVs these days are pretty lightweight.

There are a few locking TV mounts for RVs. Mor/Ryde makes a nice one and is what I used in our bedroom. There is one that is not very good so be careful what you get.

CA83
Explorer
Explorer
CB,

Where did you find a small rack like that. Looking to attach a blue take as well to the back of our new/used hybrid camper saw a few ideas but I like that and put another one on the other side for a cooler or bikes.

CA83
Explorer
Explorer
everymilesamemory wrote:

Installed a Flat Panel in our Bedroom

It has a built in DVD so that saved space and kept wires to a minimum. This is great for laying in bed and watching a movie, and also keeps the walk-around space to a minimum.

Pat
www.everymilesamemory.com

Wondering how to put one of these in on a flat wall with no stud close by, need to put a TV on a wall but don't want to bolt through the wall to the bath room.

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
PennyPA wrote:
I trust that all of you with these LED lights around your RV's remember to turn them off at night when you're camping in a campground.

We do turn them off. I probably should at least keep the amber porch light on...